Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2016 13:00

Dell Precision 5510 Crackling Sound from Right-side Speaker

Last week, I purchased a Dell Precision 5510 with Windows 7 and the audio was working fine, but on Saturday night I was watching a video on Netflix when the right-side speaker started to crackle. I followed the instructions on a number of tutorials including reinstalling the RealTek audio drivers and switching to the windows default drivers, but none of these things have gotten rid of the crackling.

Of note, the crackling only starts when the audio is raised somewhere around the 50% capacity mark or beyond, but it is a constant and persistent annoyance at that point.  I am of the belief that this is a hardware issue at this point, but any insight others could provide before I contact Dell Support would be appreciated.

9.4K Posts

December 13th, 2016 07:00

Hi waxenwings,

Thanks for posting.

Does this exist using external speakers or just the internal ones?  Have you tried headphones?

In some cases, this may be caused by a conflict with SRS audio enhancement package and Adobe Flash. This has been escalated.

Possible solutions include uninstall the SRS Audio package from Add\Remove Programs-Programs and Features. Reboot and test the system. Update Adobe Flash. Reinstall the SRS Audio package from Drivers and Downloads from support.dell.com and test again.

If none of that's working, then contact Tech Support for additional troubleshooting.

3 Posts

December 14th, 2016 07:00

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply.

To my knowledge, this is only happening with the internal speakers.  I don't have external speakers to test with, but I have had no problems using my studio monitor headphones or my skype headset.

I will attempt the SRS Audio Package fix you suggested and reply with an update.

3 Posts

December 14th, 2016 17:00

Much to my chagrin, I was unable to locate the SRS Audio Enhancement package. Near as I can tell, it doesn't come with my particular model of Precision.  According to a dell support link I found, that program was last use for precision models running Windows XP.

I tried uninstalling the realtek drivers again, updating flash, testing, then reinstalling the drivers. None of that fixed the issue.  I find it incredibly frustrating that a Dell product could physically malfunction so soon and that I might be without a laptop while it's undergoing repairs, so is there anything else I might be able to try before escalating this to customer care?  I'd really appreciate it.

9.4K Posts

December 15th, 2016 04:00

If you are not hearing the "crackling" when the headphones are plugged in (are you using the headphone jack or USB?) and your computer is still under warranty, then it could be a malfunctioning speaker.  Please contact Tech Support for troubleshooting and possible repair or replacement.  

February 23rd, 2017 20:00

No crackling with external device. This laptop is junk. Current drivers don't help. Past Dell employer here. I don't believe this will be fixed unless you exercise your warranty. They know it's a problem but will only address it it you exercise your warranty.

No Events found!