Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 12th, 2016 16:00

Dell Precision 7510 - ASSORTED PROBLEMS

I paid a small fortune for the Precision 7510 and assorted peripherals, and considering how new the model and all it's constituent parts are, I did not expect a "flawless" product. I expected bugs from time to time, and updates to fix them. I made allowances for that.

HOWEVER: some things are not clear, I can't find any solutions for it... and my Dell warranty (despite me paying for the full package), doesn't really cover software faults like this. The "Dell Diagnostics" are incapable of producing results for any of the problems I've had, and windows troublshooting is useless too. 

Firstly: where precisely is the best place to report "bugs"? I'd expect a "bug report" section somewhere or other, to streamline feedback on the performance of any new laptop like the Precision 7510 or 7710. I can't find such a place, so I'm doing it here.

Secondly: the bugs I have been encountering:

1. I get 30mbps wireless internet on my laptop, but when I plug it into my docking station (E Port Advanced Plus)... this drops to 2mbps or less. I do not have a network cable plugged into the docking station. This is all wireless, yet when I insert the laptop into the dock... the speed drops.

2. I have not generally had other problems connecting to wireless networks at home or in public places. I've not tried connecting at work. But when I tried connecting at university... it will connect to the network after I successfuly log in... but will not load any pages. I spoke with the university IT department, and they did what they could to help, which wasn't much. The theory so far is that the Precision's 7510 network adapters or drivers "can't compute" WPA-2 enterprise security. I know very little about these sorts of things though.

3. The Nvidia Quadro M2000M driver appears to crash. What happens, is video playback slows by about 10 times, and there is no sound. Usually putting the laptop into "hybernate", and switching it back on, fixes the problem... which to me lends the impression that it is a faulty driver problem. This affects online videos, as well as ones played from the hard disk through windows media player, VLC, quicktime, etc. Also... putting the laptop into "hybernate" and restarting it that way... seems to fix the wireless problem I described in point 1.

4. The operating system/software has trouble recognising certain peripherals plugged into the docking station. Sometimes it really takes it's time to connect to my external monitor (via DisplayPort). Speakers plugged into the docking station, just don't work, and often plugging them directly into the laptop itself will "confuse" it when I dock it at the same time. I've not tested this much though. USB devices generally work fine so far... but I haven't tested these either much. I know my mouse and external DVD writer work fine. My printer and scanner haven't worked for months (different problem).

5. Occasional blue screen errors (two or three times). I took photos of these. The problem is not repetitive, and happens rarely... so I've somewhat ignored it. Everything described above though, is persistent.

6. Sometimes, external hard drives plugged in to the USB ports of the laptop, will be recognised, but won't show in "My Computer". I've found a way to fix that, by going into "Start", then right-clicking "Computer", then left clicking on "Manage", selecting "Disk Management"... and manually allocating a drive letter for the external hard drive. I have no idea if this is a problem specific to the Precision 7510, although I have never had this problem on any other computer.

7. On two occasions, removing the laptop from the dock at the same time as closing the lid, would "freeze" it somehow, with a black screen, and both fans working at full speed. I fixed the problem by taking the battery out, because the power button wouldn't respond. After re-inserting the battery, the laptop just started up from "hybernate" normally without any problems.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 7th, 2016 11:00

Do you found any help for your problems in Dell ?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 7th, 2016 21:00

1. I get 30mbps wireless internet on my laptop, but when I plug it into my docking station (E Port Advanced Plus)... this drops to 2mbps or less. I do not have a network cable plugged into the docking station. This is all wireless, yet when I insert the laptop into the dock... the speed drops.

Wireless through the dock seems more stable now, although I've bought myself mobile internet, which counts as a work-around and not a solution.

2. I have not generally had other problems connecting to wireless networks at home or in public places. I've not tried connecting at work. But when I tried connecting at university... it will connect to the network after I successfuly log in... but will not load any pages. I spoke with the university IT department, and they did what they could to help, which wasn't much. The theory so far is that the Precision's 7510 network adapters or drivers "can't compute" WPA-2 enterprise security. I know very little about these sorts of things though.

Unresolved. Still same problems persist. I know too little about these things to do anything about it myself, and don't have time to learn it.

3. The Nvidia Quadro M2000M driver appears to crash. What happens, is video playback slows by about 10 times, and there is no sound. Usually putting the laptop into "hybernate", and switching it back on, fixes the problem... which to me lends the impression that it is a faulty driver problem. This affects online videos, as well as ones played from the hard disk through windows media player, VLC, quicktime, etc. Also... putting the laptop into "hybernate" and restarting it that way... seems to fix the wireless problem I described in point 1.

Nvidia seems more stable now. It crashes less. But in my free time I sometimes would try playing "The Witcher 3"... which is almost impossible. It appears a lot of players have problems with the game grashing, but not as persistent as mine. I've given up on this. It would have taken hours of scrolling through forums searching for trial-and-error solutions. I've searched for quick solutions, and at best, some would work only temporarily.

4. The operating system/software has trouble recognising certain peripherals plugged into the docking station. Sometimes it really takes it's time to connect to my external monitor (via DisplayPort). Speakers plugged into the docking station, just don't work, and often plugging them directly into the laptop itself will "confuse" it when I dock it at the same time. I've not tested this much though. USB devices generally work fine so far... but I haven't tested these either much. I know my mouse and external DVD writer work fine. My printer and scanner haven't worked for months (different problem).

I think this might have been resolved in some update, atlhough not sure. I've not been paying close attention. I'm having fewer problems like this recently. It might have also been a problem with my speakers it seems. Their volume would reset to 0 every I'd plug my laptop into the dock, and I only realised this not long ago.

5. Occasional blue screen errors (two or three times). I took photos of these. The problem is not repetitive, and happens rarely... so I've somewhat ignored it. Everything described above though, is persistent.

Blue screen errors are rarer now. I've had maybe one happen in the space of 2 months, which isn't bad.

6. Sometimes, external hard drives plugged in to the USB ports of the laptop, will be recognised, but won't show in "My Computer". I've found a way to fix that, by going into "Start", then right-clicking "Computer", then left clicking on "Manage", selecting "Disk Management"... and manually allocating a drive letter for the external hard drive. I have no idea if this is a problem specific to the Precision 7510, although I have never had this problem on any other computer.

I don't think I've had this problem again, although USB devices plugged into one of my USB hubs don't always show in "My Computer" either. I've got a total of 20 USB slots... so maybe it is just too much. I don't know.

7. On two occasions, removing the laptop from the dock at the same time as closing the lid, would "freeze" it somehow, with a black screen, and both fans working at full speed. I fixed the problem by taking the battery out, because the power button wouldn't respond. After re-inserting the battery, the laptop just started up from "hybernate" normally without any problems.

This has not happened again.

Different minor problem:

One of my laptop keys got disoldged and I've been looking for a replacement to buy. Either no one sells them, or they never reply to emails. I don't know if Dell is worth contacting at all about these kinds of problems. I'm certainly not going to send my laptop back for a single key replacement, and their responses to this day are far from anything to be relied on. Customer service so far, probably still better than most laptop manufacturers, but still leaves a lot to be desired.

9 Posts

April 6th, 2016 02:00

We just bought  two 7510 to our company and installed corporate win 7.

After tirning on  and let them install updates, both after 10-15 min freezes.

- Keyb backlight responding for touching keys,

- SSD LED does not flash at all

- Screen is not fully black because we see backlight of screen, especially when looking from angle.

The only way is to hard reset. Both have same issue, both are brand new and fresh unpacked.

Installing most new drivers did not help at all. Turning off "video card switching" in BIOS did not help.

Power options are configured to "NEVER" for all.

The only situation when it does not happen is when we installed win7 from dvd disk and then almost all drivers are missing, video card has standard(not dedicated) drivers, chipset is not installed and a lot of devices failed to install. This kind of "configuration" does not freeze laptop. Interesting.

I thought that video card has some power management options like Network cards but there is nothing in device manager.

I am disapionted as for sure it is not hardware problem. It looks like software and drivers deisgned for 7510, dont like each other and laptop crashes in idle state.

1 Message

May 5th, 2016 07:00

I am having intermittent wireless connectivity issues.  My connection always seems to go in and out and freezes up the system.  My old laptop doesn't have issues at all...  i wonder if something is flawed with this new Precision laptop or maybe a setting somewhere.  It's just off to have a new workstation not functioning up to par and comparing with my old junky inspiron that is 5-6 years old, it's just a little step above it seems... i am disheartened with the performance.  Anyone have a similar experience?

June 3rd, 2016 09:00

Purchased a Precision 7510 and was told that the Dell E-Port Plus Advanced Port Replicator with USB 3.0 would be compatible with the laptop by a Sales Agent. 3 months after recving I finally got a hard wire Ethernet cable to my desk and found out that the Dell E-Port Plus Advanced Port Replicator with USB 3.0 is NOT COMPATIBLE with this laptop and that I needed to purchase the Thunderbolt replicator. Dell REFUSES to exchange because it was past the 30 days. #NEVERDELL!

13 Posts

June 9th, 2016 10:00

What specifically isn't working with the port replicator?  I have a Precision 7510 & the replicator.  All working fine? 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 12th, 2016 11:00

Mine is mostly working fine now. The internet speeds are stable.

There are still occasional problems with hibernating the laptop when it's in the port replicator. If I put it into hibernate mode in the port replicator, unplug it, then turn the laptop back on... then sometimes it doesn't start, or loses the session.

Before, it would produce blue screen errors.

June 12th, 2016 12:00

Everything on the Precision 7510 & EPort Plus replicator works fine except for the Ethernet connector on the back of the replicator. The laptop will not connect. I worked with Dell Tech support for 45 minutes and he determined that the replicator wasn't compatible and that the only thing the would support the 7510 is a Thunderbolt replicator.

Which replicator are you using? Is your 7510 running Win 10 64 bit?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 15th, 2016 04:00

E-port advanced plus replicator (I think that's it's full name), Dell Precision 7510, Windows 7 Pro

June 15th, 2016 09:00

I even tried to dock a Lattitude E6540 running Win 7 and the Ethernet port still didn't work. Is there an On\Off switch for the EPort Ethernet?

Not sure what to do here.

13 Posts

June 15th, 2016 09:00

Then the issue is the dock.  I'd return the dock as defective.  I haven't had any issue with mine.

24 Posts

June 20th, 2016 13:00

Check the pins inside the connector on the docking station. Because of the new very close to the back design of the E7xxx and E5xxx series as well as the Precision 7x10 series it is easy to accidently bend down some pins on the docking connector when inserting the laptop. If those pins get bent various weird things can happen. If you have a hardware warranty and you bought the dock as the same time as the system you should be able to get it replaced, if you didn't, you may need to see if there is a repair option or purchase one on eBay that has been tested as working and see if that resolves the issue. You can usually save quite a bit of money shopping on eBay if you know what part you are looking for and mind the sellers' feedback ratings and return policies.

1 Message

July 11th, 2016 13:00

We have the issue with the screen going black also, any fix for this? If we plug an external monitor in you can see the screen

4 Posts

July 12th, 2016 08:00

I have had multiple issues with my 7510, starting with the 1st box not displaying anything at all at the initial start. The 2nd box display worked, but I got BSOD's 2-3 times a day. Dell sent me a 3rd unit that I configured differently -- I specified a SATA SSD drive instead of the PCIe drive. That seemed OK, but when I began to use it with my new Thunderbolt docking station, I started having display issues. I had to turn off switchable graphics to get the display to work when undocked. Working with Dell, they updated Thunderbolt drivers and that helped, but then the BIOS updated and the system crashed. It would not boot up at all with errors in the BIOS. So they sent me a 4th box. This system is stable, but still has the display issues. I'm not using the Thunderbolt dock but have gone back to my old Eport dock.

But Dell has been very supportive. I was just informed that they have a hardware fix for the display issue and will be swapping my box again. At least this time I will just have to swap out the hard drive and not reconfigure again. Once that's up and running right, I'll tackle the Thunderbolt dock issues.

I have owned Dell computers for 20+ years, including at least 5 different laptops. I have never experienced these kinds of problems. But at least in my case, Dell has been there all along the way.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 12th, 2016 10:00

Since a certain BIOS update of mine... my system has become much less stable. I had to do a system restore twice, and disable automatic updates of all kinds.

Any attempt to install the most recent drivers... just repeats the problems. The problems were the following:

- all USB devices are disabled (including mouse)

- touch-pad disabled

- extremely unstable internet connection

- huge lag within the system

All those symptoms would kick in approximately 5 minutes after restarting the laptop. Until then, it would actually work fine. I have been using my machine regardless, for over a month now (with no updates), with these problems. I am abroad, and need my laptop for my work. When I come back to the UK, I expect to be able to sort this out once and for all, with a replacement laptop, or without. I paid too much for this machine for it to "sort of" work.

A slightly strange new symptom I've noticed, is when I'm playing a film through VLC player, and I hear the fans turn on in the back of my laptop, the graphics glitch and the images in the film become extremely pixelated for a few seconds, then back to normal. I'm guessing it's because power gets suddenly redirected to the fans. So far, I have only noticed this happen on external displays when my laptop is docked.

No Events found!