Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 28th, 2012 04:00

Dell Precision M4700 (Windows 7 pro) won't boot after configured with UEFI and Secure Boot

To anyone who can help:

I had a Dell Precision M4700 and i had perform the newest bios A05 update.I intended to upgrade to Windows 8. Everything was fine and the bios update was successful. I booted the new bios with Windows 7 Professional (base OS factory installed) and was fine.

However, i can't enter the bios (not even see the Dell POST or Logo) after i had enable the UEFI and Secure Boot.This was before i upgrade to Windows 8 Pro. Now i am stuck with a empty screen (LCD not even lit up) and nothing to boot. It's just like a dead PC.

Please help. Is there anything that i can do or should i contact Dell Support for repair?

Thanks 

14 Posts

November 28th, 2012 23:00

By the way, which is the correct way to install Windows 8? Using the UEFI option + Legacy Option ROM or BIOS + Legacy Option ROM?

Thanks

14 Posts

November 29th, 2012 00:00

I had successfully install the Windows 8 Professional on a fresh HDD on UEFI mode (delete all the partition and start from scratch).

Now Windows 8 Professional doesn't activate! Because it was thinking i install it in a new system and not upgrading from a XP,Vista or 7.

Way to go Dell ! The original partition of Windows 7 was on BIOS mode (not UEFI). So your only option is to "upgrade" using BIOS mode.

And if you want to install Windows 8 on UEFI mode, you need to reinstall Windows 7 from scratch using UEFI and upgrade it to Windows 8.

This is just what i been through. Guess i need to re-install Windows 7 from scratch and update it to Windows 8 on UEFI mode.

14 Posts

November 29th, 2012 00:00

Work around for Windows 8 activation failure.

• Open regedit by pressing Windows-q, entering regedit and selecting the result from the list of hits.
  • Navigate toHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/
  • Change MediaBootInstall from 1 to 0
  • Go back to the start screen and enter cmd there.
  • Right-click Command Prompt and select to run it as administrator.
  • Type slmgr /rearm on the command line and hit enter.
  • Reboot Windows now.
  • Run the activation utility afterwards, enter your product key to activate Windows.

www.ghacks.net/.../windows-8-upgrade-clean-install-possible

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 8th, 2012 07:00

I had the same problem with M4700 and your solution worked perfectly.

Big THANK YOU!

1 Message

February 18th, 2016 09:00

Reset BIOS Settings Instructions for Dell Precision M4700

• Clear & diffuse laptop memory / Change BIOS settings / Boot laptop

1.            Unplug power cord

2.            Unplug laptop battery

3.            Open bottom cover & unplug CMOS battery

4.            Press power button several times to diffuse motherboard

5.            Wait 2-3 minutes with nothing plugged in for power or memory

6.            Next, connect ONLY the power cord

7.            Press power button and then F12 button repeatedly

8.            On menu screen select ‘change settings’ (to go into BIOS)

9.            In BIOS setup menu, select ‘Load Defaults’ at bottom

10.          Select ‘Post Behavior’ and select ‘Minimal Boot’

11.          DON’T click ‘Apply’ and ‘Exit’ yet! FIRST, plug in CMOS battery & laptop battery again!

12.          Select in BIOS menu at bottom ‘Apply’ and then, ‘Exit’

Conclusion:

Laptop will exit BIOS and power up for a moment, then cut off. Let it do this cycle first (it may do this twice). Then, when it auto shuts off, press power button to boot laptop normally with working settings.

1 Message

March 31st, 2016 11:00

This also happened to me on a M4700 laptop with ATI graphics card and the latest A14 BIOS.  Fixing it was a pain.  Detaching the CMOS battery and draining the power wasn't enough.  I had to take out the graphics card, which was no trivial endeavor.  The keyboard comes off and then the panel below it, then the display and the graphics card slides out.  Be careful about the attached cables, which you'll need to reconnect.  Lots of screws of different lengths come out, both on the top and some on the bottom.  Below is a video on a different model that shows a somewhat similar process.  You can attach an external USB keyboard to fix the BIOS while the keyboard is disconnected.  DO NOT DISABLE LEGACY ROM ON THIS SYSTEM; YOU WILL BE SORRY! :)

No Events found!