Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 19th, 2013 06:00

Dell Precision M6300 The AC power adapter type cannot be determined...

Hi, I have a Dell Precision M6300 which was working brilliantly up until a short while ago where it would not always power on straight away. I would have to restart it and try again which worked initially, this gradually got worse until one of the days it just would not start and I got the  "The AC power adapter type cannot be determined .... etc." pressing F1 did nothing though just shut down the laptop and pressing either F2 or F12 for the bios and start up options do nothing.  I took the laptop the a computer repair place and he said all was well just needed a new charger, so I got one and that didn't work so I got another and that didn't work either. 

Now I wonder whether it is actually something inside the laptop as both the chargers were dell 130w chargers right specs etc.  I mean could I just be unlucky with chargers or could it be a component attached to the motherboard? 

I would really appreciate any advice or help you could offer. 

Thank you

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 19th, 2013 08:00

On this model, the DC jack is part of the mainboard - it can be replaced but requires skilled soldering.  Least expensive option is to have a solder rework shop replace the DC jack - that'll run about $150.  Otherwise, the mainboard needs to be replaced.

No Events found!