Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

October 13th, 2017 18:00

Dell Precision M6500 GPU or LCD dying?

Hi there!

I have a Dell Prec. M6500 laptop.Specs: i5 580m ,4gigs ram, Quadro FX 2800M.
This is the problem:  

I can't really describe the situation well ,but let the video speak for itself. I had problems with strange artifacts,blank screen and such ,but undeclocking the gpu and some light slaps under the screen(no joke) always solved them.This particular phenomenon which I'm dealing with has started after a  3minute stress test on the gpu with FurMark(I wanted to see the temps so I could decide if a thermal paste replacement and heatsink cleaning is due or not).I disassembled the laptop ,replaced thermal place ,reseated cpu and gpu AAAND IT WORKS!!Or at least worked for a minute or two ,then started to do the same thing that is in the video.Any ideas what could be the solution?Maybe a new cable to the screen could solve it?New GPU? Or should I just sell it as faulty laptop or parts and move on? Honestly I really love this machine ,even though it is a pain in the *** to carry around and I can't really use the GPU because I get blank screened.Feel free to write a comment ,even if you just want to tell I'm a retard or something.You guys really didn't help me with my other post ,but hopefully someone cares and knows something I don't.

Thanks in advance.

9.4K Posts

October 16th, 2017 05:00

Hi csoul23,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies that your computer is not working as expected.

Have you tried running system diagnostics yet?  You can run them by pressing F12 at startup, or by using Dell Support Assist.  Please make a note of any errors and contact Tech Support for further troubleshooting.  You can contact Tech Support at 1-800-624-9896  or 1-800-288-4410, or you can initiate a chat session http://dell.to/2v4snVm .

7 Posts

October 16th, 2017 11:00

Dear Robert,

Are you blind or just a bot?

Thanks for nothing...

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 16th, 2017 14:00

You haven't mentioned having tried an external screen, but that's next -- if the external screen shows the same fault as the internal, it means the GPU is bad.

If it doesn't, it MAY mean the video cable or display panel is bad -- checking and/or replacing those first is a good idea.  If that doesn't solve the problem, see above -- it's a bad GPU (they can and do fail in such a way as that an internal screen shows a bad image while the external is OK).

7 Posts

October 17th, 2017 02:00

No ,it does not work with an external screen either ,that was the first thing I tried.It did however for a brief 10 seconds or so when I first tried it,since then none of my displays recognizes the laptops signals.I appreciate your answer ,but would a a short stress test cause the cable to malfunction in this way? I will try to snipe down some compatible cables ,thanks for your time and effort to help me ,and not with dell diagnostics which does not really work ,because they didn't see any bad things in the system ,even though it blank screened a lot until I heavily underclocked the card

No Events found!