Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2011 04:00

Dell Precision M6600, Optimus and DVI/Displayport not initialed at boot time

Hello Dell

yesterday my new Dell Precision M6600 was delivered, with 2 Dell U2711 Displays and the Advanced E/Port-Replikator.

After i connect the Displays to the Portreplicator and i start the Precision, there is no Picture on the U2711 Screens. After the PC was booted completly, i got a the first Picture with the Login dialog from Windows 7.

After talking a while with the Dell Support, we find the Problem. The Bios don't enable the Displayports if NVidia Optimius is enabled. With this Option you have no way to go to Bios, to see the Boot Manager (for Windows or Linux), you can not Start in Save Mode (in Save Mode the Nvidia Driver will not loaded and you have no screen, because the Displayports are dead/disabled allready)

Please enable in Docked Mode or/and in a Mode with Power Supply the Displayports and DVI Ports at Startup. Without that the Optimus Feature is useless with big Screens.

With Big screens you have to use the Displayports, because the DVI on the Docking Station is NOT a dual Link one, the maxium Resolution on DVI is 1600x1200 and not the correct one of 2560x1440.

I hope this Problem will be fixed soon, the workingplace for 5.000 Euro or 7.000U$ can not have this kind of kid problems.

kind regard

Alex

3 Posts

August 8th, 2011 08:00

I have the same problem - exactly.  M6600, E-Port Plus, and dual U2711.  Disabling Optimus is the only way to reliably boot up while docked.  I chatted with Dell support about it but they were no help.

August 8th, 2011 10:00

i have heared the last time, i must vote on ideastorm for getting a bios for this problem, a dell technican told me, he bring this problem to the internal reviewing. but nothing for 3 month. please vote this problem up:

www.ideastorm.com/ideaView

kind regards

Alex

August 8th, 2011 23:00

Yesterday, anyone has deleted the IdeaStorm entry about not correct working Optimus on Dell Precision M6600 ... what happens if technical problems will only deleted and not solved

3 Posts

August 9th, 2011 08:00

That is unbelievable.  Could a DELL REP please step in here?  We have a legitimate problem with your TOP of the LINE laptop with top of the line monitors, with your docking station.  This person's idea storm page has been removed.  What is going on here?  I know someone is watching this thread because I had one of my posts deleted yesterday for mentioning the name of a chat tech.

1 Message

August 11th, 2011 11:00

I have had the same problem with two different M4400 units I purchased for my users.  This has been absolutely frustrating.

3 Posts

August 11th, 2011 15:00

I had the M4400, but the 770m didn't have Optimus, so it was never an issue.  I did however, have intermittent problems with the displays not appearing after sleep.

August 11th, 2011 23:00

This problem exists in this case only on the new SandyBridge Notebooks with NVidia Grafic and DVI/Displayport outputs.

August 12th, 2011 00:00

another problem in this case is the standby mode:

So it will be good to use the Nvidia Card all the Time the Notebook is external powered. With Optimus enabled you have a secound problem, after Standby, that the connected Screens via Displayport don't show a image again, they stay in standby. After you wake up the Nootbook you have to switch off, wait 10 sec and switch on again the screens and only after this process you have a picture again.

If the nvidia chips will not be there for running hole the time, dell have to fix our problems with optimus!!

This kind of Problems worst our Time!!!

August 12th, 2011 00:00

Here is the U2711 Problems with Powersave mode on Displayport:

en.community.dell.com/.../19722024.aspx

2 Posts

August 23rd, 2011 09:00

This is the same issue for the M4600 Series and 6420 series. Anything it seems with Optimus is requiring you to disable it, in order for the external screen to work on a docking station.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

August 23rd, 2011 11:00

From my information you can go into the BIOS and disable Optimus.  The Optimus setting should be listed under the video section. This isn't perfect but right before you dock the system disable Optimus, then you can shut down and dock the system.  Then crank it up and the Nvidia GPU should take over and you can use the display ports. If you have not tried this give it a shot and let me know the results.  

The only other option is to undock the notebook when you want to go into the BIOS. This may well be as the system was designed, so I can’t promise any fixes.  If any become available to help power these video ports outside of Windows I will certainly post them here.

August 23rd, 2011 16:00

The solution will be to bring a new bios settings in the optimius menu:

On

Off

Off if external power is connected

Then we don't have this kind of problems anymore. But noone cares about this problem. i must enable it 5 times a day, if i leave my working place and have to disable it every time i coming back.

Terry, i have paied over 5.000 Euro or 7.000U$ for this working place, than i can require a complete solution without workarounds. This kind of enable and disable is only a dirty trick and not a option for a real mobile workstation.

2 Posts

August 24th, 2011 05:00

Based on talking to their engineer about this issue - and I have talked to alot about this issue. Dell cant do anything. This is NVidia problem and not theirs. We are such a small number of people who have issues that  it doesn't seem to be on anyone radar, and if it is Dell doesn't even know. Based on the info you have three choices. Turn it on and off as suggested by some. Turn it off completely and loose a feature - I want that battery life with the i7!. Last, return it and get a ATI card instead.

Hopefully I am wrong. :)

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

August 24th, 2011 08:00

I agree with you Biricon.  So much so, that I reported the issue to engineering and am trying to find help. I assume it will take a video BIOS update to fix it that the Nvidia GPU can be used prior to boot. Once I hear more from the engineers I will report here. I just want everyone to understand, this may be as the system was designed and nothing can be done. Hopefully I will hear from engineering shortly to find out if anything can be done.

TB

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

August 25th, 2011 11:00

I have spoke with the engineers.  It is as Kaspenny has mentioned.  This is how Optimus was designed by Nvidia and it is working as planned.  To have video before the system boots, Optimus will either need to be disabled or the notebook undocked.  

TB

No Events found!