Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2011 04:00

Dell Precision M6600, Optimus and DVI/Displayport not initialed at boot time

Hello Dell

yesterday my new Dell Precision M6600 was delivered, with 2 Dell U2711 Displays and the Advanced E/Port-Replikator.

After i connect the Displays to the Portreplicator and i start the Precision, there is no Picture on the U2711 Screens. After the PC was booted completly, i got a the first Picture with the Login dialog from Windows 7.

After talking a while with the Dell Support, we find the Problem. The Bios don't enable the Displayports if NVidia Optimius is enabled. With this Option you have no way to go to Bios, to see the Boot Manager (for Windows or Linux), you can not Start in Save Mode (in Save Mode the Nvidia Driver will not loaded and you have no screen, because the Displayports are dead/disabled allready)

Please enable in Docked Mode or/and in a Mode with Power Supply the Displayports and DVI Ports at Startup. Without that the Optimus Feature is useless with big Screens.

With Big screens you have to use the Displayports, because the DVI on the Docking Station is NOT a dual Link one, the maxium Resolution on DVI is 1600x1200 and not the correct one of 2560x1440.

I hope this Problem will be fixed soon, the workingplace for 5.000 Euro or 7.000U$ can not have this kind of kid problems.

kind regard

Alex

February 14th, 2012 04:00

after dell deleted my first ideastorm i make a new one. i think if they deleted it again, we have to make a script, that post it every time it was deleted automatically.

this situation is not acceptable.

www.ideastorm.com/ideaView

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

February 14th, 2012 13:00

Bill B just posted this on Ideastorm.  It matches my posts earlier in this thread, but brings up the fact that the VGA port is controlled via Intel HD and not Optimus.

http://www.ideastorm.com/ideaView?id=087700000008ckE&mc=0&p=1

What happens if you connect a VGA cable in addition to your DPort, HDMI or DVI cable? You may have to change the video input source on the monitor's OSD, but I think you can get pre-boot video that way.

Unfortunately we cannot enable a solution that pushes pre-boot video to the DPort, DVI or HDMI ports at this time, but we are investigating. The reason is the MUX controller is trying to push all video through the Nvidia GPU when Optimus is enabled. Until the Nvidia driver loads at boot, it won't display anything. However, the MUX will push all analog video signal to the VGA port and the Intel GPU. So VGA will display video pre-boot.

TB

February 14th, 2012 22:00

Yes this is possible, but i have to change the monitor settings after boot every time, if the vga cable is connected.

and what is with the energy save problem, where i have to turn of and on the screens after energy saving mode?

if you turn off optimius in bios and run only on the nvidia card, everything works, so the solution must be detect ,,if external powersource is connected - turn off optimius and use nvidia card, if no external source is connected - use optimus for longer batterie time".

1 Message

October 27th, 2012 12:00

FWIW, I had an earlier M6600 I bought from the outlet that didn't have this problem when docked with my my 2407 and 2408 displays. It was only when I replaced it with a brand new M6600 (Oct 2012) that I began seeing this issue. Unfortunately, the original 6600 was stolen so I can't compare them to see what might be different.

17 Posts

November 1st, 2012 12:00

I have the same problem here with my Latitude E6430.My external screen must be connected via VGA cable to the docking station for using pre-boot authentification.

The fact that this problem can't be resolved on a laptop for over $ 3100 ist just a shame.

4 Posts

November 1st, 2012 12:00

If you are using dual monitors, connect one as analog and hte other as DVI to get a signal from the laptop when the cover is closed during boot up.

17 Posts

November 2nd, 2012 11:00

This workaround helps to get a signal on the screen during boot up process, but I'd like to use DVI for connection instead. At this time I'm using a single screen configuration on my laptop.

4 Posts

November 2nd, 2012 11:00

We all would but unfortunatley Dell has not provided any updates or solutions since this was first reported.

3 Posts

November 8th, 2012 15:00

Same problem here with my brand new Latitude E6430 (with NVIDIA and Optimus), E-port plus and Dell U2711 connected by Displayport. When docked nothing will show on the external monitor until Windows starts. No chance to enter BIOS or use a startup password. I consider not being able to use a password (with a normal work flow) a security risk.

When I tried to disable Optimus in BIOS, the computer went in blue upon the next boot. No matter what I did I was not able to restore the system. So I had to install everything from scratch... 3-4 new drivers were installed automatically when the system started after the BIOS change - I assume that these drivers somehow have caused the problems.

I have used a lot of time trying to find a solution to this problem (and reinstalling my entire system). I am really disappointed - especially after reading this post (and others) showing that this problem has been known for such a long time. This is an issue that needs to be addressed and fixed!

3 Posts

February 25th, 2013 13:00

A late update to my previous post above. My main problem have now gone. The HDD password dialog shows on the displayport screen during start up. However, the Dell logo do not show during start up and the computer refuses to enter BIOS setup even if the right key is pressed. When undocked and not connected to an external monitor the logo shows and I can enter BIOS setup.There are no problems waking up from system sleep.

I'm not sure what did the trick (the changes happened a couple of months ago). I have not done any hardware changes or manual driver updates...

2 Posts

April 11th, 2013 08:00

Dell please update this thread if a fix is found. This is a big problem in our organization.

2 Posts

April 11th, 2013 09:00

Possible workaround. I have 2 DVI monitors hooked to the ePort replicator. Installed the driver with the laptop in the dock with the lid open.

My goal is to have the laptop closed driving both DVI monitors.

1.Disable optimums in BIOS

2.Go to Nvidia.com website under drivers and have it detect your video card via Java.

3.Install Nvidia driver using Custom settings, choose clean install. (This will reboot twice during install) After the second reboot one monitor will start. 

4.Change your video card settings to drive both monitors.

(at this point i changed my power setting to "do nothing" when i closed the lid. Then i closed the lid and rebooted. It work on the monitors through the POST.)

5 Posts

May 19th, 2013 08:00

I just got a new Latitude E6530. Shocked when I put it in the E port plus and only a VGA monitor was detected (and not my monitor via Disaplyport / DVI). Found another thread here:

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/256249-e6530-w-e-port-plus-connected-u2410-monitor

... that suggested same workaround.

However - it's not working for me because after I disable Optimus in the BIOS and re-install the NVidia drivers- the machine bluescreens.

Although- I didn't try Custom... clean install. Going to try that now.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 16th, 2014 12:00

Well, apparently no solution has been found til now...

I've just received brand new M4800 and I'm unable to send the picture via Display Port to the external display when the notebook is docked. What's interesting there is a dedicated option in the BIOS (ver. A07) in the "Video" section called "Enable dock Display Port through Integrated Graphics" but enabling it doesn't change a thing...

Still the only solution seems to be disabling Optimus, but that generates noise as the card heats up even during standard office work. Not to mention that working on battery with only nVidia enabled kills the machine way too quicly.

I really can't believe that this serious issue hasn't been properly fixed for years. And those are not budget laptops but high-end machines. This is unacceptable!

No Events found!