Nyctalus
1 Copper

Re: Dell Precision M6600, Optimus and DVI/Displayport not initialed at boot time

A late update to my previous post above. My main problem have now gone. The HDD password dialog shows on the displayport screen during start up. However, the Dell logo do not show during start up and the computer refuses to enter BIOS setup even if the right key is pressed. When undocked and not connected to an external monitor the logo shows and I can enter BIOS setup.There are no problems waking up from system sleep.

I'm not sure what did the trick (the changes happened a couple of months ago). I have not done any hardware changes or manual driver updates...

0 Kudos
BBT-IT
1 Copper

Re: Dell Precision M6600, Optimus and DVI/Displayport not initialed at boot time

Dell please update this thread if a fix is found. This is a big problem in our organization.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
BBT-IT
1 Copper

Possible workaround. I have 2 DVI monitors hooked to the ePort replicator. Installed the driver with the laptop in the dock with the lid open.

My goal is to have the laptop closed driving both DVI monitors.

1.Disable optimums in BIOS

2.Go to Nvidia.com website under drivers and have it detect your video card via Java.

3.Install Nvidia driver using Custom settings, choose clean install. (This will reboot twice during install) After the second reboot one monitor will start. 

4.Change your video card settings to drive both monitors.

(at this point i changed my power setting to "do nothing" when i closed the lid. Then i closed the lid and rebooted. It work on the monitors through the POST.)

0 Kudos
Nolarond
1 Copper

I just got a new Latitude E6530. Shocked when I put it in the E port plus and only a VGA monitor was detected (and not my monitor via Disaplyport / DVI). Found another thread here:

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/256249-e6530-w-e-port-plus-connected-u2410-monitor

... that suggested same workaround.

However - it's not working for me because after I disable Optimus in the BIOS and re-install the NVidia drivers- the machine bluescreens.

Although- I didn't try Custom... clean install. Going to try that now.

0 Kudos
mikolajek1
2 Bronze

RE: Dell Precision M6600, Optimus and DVI/Displayport not initialed at boot time

Well, apparently no solution has been found til now...

I've just received brand new M4800 and I'm unable to send the picture via Display Port to the external display when the notebook is docked. What's interesting there is a dedicated option in the BIOS (ver. A07) in the "Video" section called "Enable dock Display Port through Integrated Graphics" but enabling it doesn't change a thing...

Still the only solution seems to be disabling Optimus, but that generates noise as the card heats up even during standard office work. Not to mention that working on battery with only nVidia enabled kills the machine way too quicly.

I really can't believe that this serious issue hasn't been properly fixed for years. And those are not budget laptops but high-end machines. This is unacceptable!

0 Kudos