Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 25th, 2015 12:00

Dell Precision M6600 monitor no longer working...

Hello!

The monitor display has suddenly stopped working on my laptop.  The computer boots up but the monitor remains completely black.  I attached a second monitor via the VGA on the back and everything shows up and performer normally on that second monitor... so it is clearly the monitor on the laptop that isn't working.

I have not dropped or banged the computer around at all nor have I spilled any liquid on it... so I really have no idea why it isn't working or how to fix the problem.

Any ideas?

By the way, I am running Windows 7... not sure if that's relevant.

April 25th, 2015 21:00

Hi,

Please try going into safemode and let us know if you get a display.

Do you see the Dell logo initially.?

How about the diagnostics? (shut down the system, hold down the fn key and then power up the machine, after 3 seconds let go the fn and wait for 3-4 mins, check for any display).

Regards

April 26th, 2015 02:00

Hi DELL-HEMALATHA,

I have the same issue.

I have a Precision M4700 running Windows 7 Professional. I bought it in September 2012.

A few months ago my PC started having the same problem as vinnydellay.

When I powered up the machine it apparently booted up normally (I could hear the fan an the HDD spinning, and the lights on the keyboard where on) but the screen remained matte black. It didn't even show the DELL logo. Nothing, only a dead black screen.

The problem has worsened over time because when this problem first appeared I would just shut down the computer and re-power it up again, and at the second or third try the screen would work normally, but over time the numbers of trials (shut down and re-power up) increased. Now I have to turn off and switch on the computer about 30 times (which is unbearable) before the DELL logo shows up.

I have formatted the computer and reinstalled the operating system but it still has same issue.

I've made complete system diagnostic yesterday from your website but except for the battery (which is dead) it didn't find anything wrong.

I've also shut down the system, hold down the Fn key and then powered up the machine, but after 15 minutes still the screen is black.

Any clues?

Cheers

April 28th, 2015 20:00

Hi, 

Please PM us the system tag #. Its a hardware issue could be the motherboard.

Regards

April 28th, 2015 20:00

Hi, 

Please PM us the system tag #. 

Regards

April 28th, 2015 23:00

Hi there,

I have already gone through some of the tips shown in the vid below but up to now I haven't acheived a thing.

I'll pm you my system tag and wait for your reply then.

Cheers

April 29th, 2015 19:00

Hello,

I do not get a display in safe mode, nor do i see the dell logo at all.

I ran the diagnostics twice already... no success.

April 29th, 2015 19:00

Hello!  Service tag number is:  < >

April 30th, 2015 07:00

Hi vinnydellay,

As far as I know it's better not to post your tag number here publicly cause it's a private number.

Click on Dell-Hemalatha P's name, accept his friendship and then send him a private message with your tag number.

; )

May 2nd, 2015 21:00

Hi, 

We have sent you private message requesting for details.

Regards

1 Message

July 28th, 2015 12:00

I am having the same problems as previous posters about my screen going black, I am in safe mode now, but it took a couple of hours to get to this point. I have restarted in safe mose and done a repair to no avail and end up in black screen every time. At this time I restarted my computer from safe mode after trying to fix things and nothing, again a black screen. I am typing from a 10 year old lap top at this time. I use my computer for work and this is so incredibly inconvenient. My service tag: Service tag removed per privacy policy>has expired and from what I am reading I may have to BUY a video card??? Please inform. Thank you.

July 28th, 2015 19:00

Hi Paris,

Replacing motherboard (video card is integrated onto motherboard) is quite costly, so before you could do that, if the machine is loading into safemode then backup the data and then resintall the windows afresh.

If the issue is still the same, then replace the motherboard please.

Best Regards

No Events found!