Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

July 7th, 2014 11:00

Dell Precision M6800 Bluetooth Assistance

Hello,

I recently was shipped a warranty replacement of a M6800 and cannot figure out how to get the bluetooth working.  It is enabled in the BIOS, but the bluetooth icon is never lit up, and I cannot figure out how to tell if a driver is missing (although the Device Manager shows all devices working correctly).  Within Windows 7 I am struggling to find out if it is even working or available... and I cannot find anything about bluetooth in the BIOS.

Any ideas of where I should begin to troubleshoot this?

- Tom

3 Posts

I do not see any devices currently... I am not trying to connect a device, and thus ran into the issue.  The Add Device wizard is not seeing any Bluetooth devices, and the bluetooth icon never lights up.

15 Posts

When you go to Devices and Printers in the control panel, do you see any of your blue-tooth devices such as your cell phone?  If you can see one of the devices, then just double-click on it and see if it starts to work.

15 Posts

July 7th, 2014 14:00

Another way to start the bluetooth is to go to the device manager by typing:

mmc devmgmt.msc      at the command prompt.  To go to the command prompt do this:

start >> run >> cmd

Then type the command: mmc devmgmt.msc

Now look for the bluetooth item and expand it.  You can now right-click on it and enable it from there.

15 Posts

In your system tray (task bar right hand side corner) you should have an icon for bluetooth/wireless.  Right click on it and and in the main dialog you will have the switch options for bluetooth.  Try it and see what happens.  I am currently on Windows 8 system so I can't produce pictures and also my toshiba machine hasn't got the bluetooth.

3 Posts

I do not see a bluetooth icon... which is making me think that I am missing a driver (although Device Manager shows everything is fine).  I looked at the drivers and downloads page, but am not sure which I am supposed to download.  Is there a way to find out which device you have?

Thanks!

1 Message

August 13th, 2014 14:00

Have you found an answer to your issue?  I'm having the same problem with my M6800

2 Posts

October 26th, 2014 04:00

I had the same problem - no evidence of Bluetooth on my M6800 at all apart from the dead Bluetooth light above the keyboard. I had upgraded from Win7 to Win8 (my first mistake!), so I guessed the drivers were missing. I found the DW 1550 one's on the Dell driver download.

This did then get the bluetooth controls appearing, so I can now switch BT on and off (keyboard light comes on) and the BT icon appears in system tray.

But it's pants. I can't get it to connect to anything. It spotted our Bose BT speaker, and played music through it for about 10 mins and then it packed up!

When I turn it on now, it just says "searching for devices" constantly and never finds anything (even when my phone and the speaker are set to discoverable (phone can find speaker if I give up and connect that instead).

I am going to try again with the latest drivers, so I am sorry this is only a partial solution, but I thought that might be of help if you're still stuck.

29 Posts

October 26th, 2014 05:00

I do not see a bluetooth icon... which is making me think that I am missing a driver (although Device Manager shows everything is fine).  I looked at the drivers and downloads page, but am not sure which I am supposed to download.  Is there a way to find out which device you have?

By any chance, do you not have the ‘airplane mode’ switch on? It should be on the right side of your machine. It shows a wifi symbol but typically controls all wireless devices (may depend on BIOS settings).

2 Posts

October 26th, 2014 05:00

This should be pretty obvious to check (the switch shows the red sticker behind if aeroplane mode is on). He probably would have noticed though as it would have disabled his WiFi as well.

That certainly wasn't the problem on my machine as I had good WiFi but no Bluetooth icon, setttings, keyboard light or signal until I installed the Dell driver.

2 Posts

May 25th, 2015 20:00

Hello,

I recently was shipped a warranty replacement of a M6800 and cannot figure out how to get the bluetooth working.  It is enabled in the BIOS, but the bluetooth icon is never lit up, and I cannot figure out how to tell if a driver is missing (although the Device Manager shows all devices working correctly).  Within Windows 7 I am struggling to find out if it is even working or available... and I cannot find anything about bluetooth in the BIOS.

Any ideas of where I should begin to troubleshoot this?

- Tom

a: Click  Start

b: Type bluetooth in Startmenu searchbox.

c: Click on "Change Bluetooth Settings"

d: Checkmark "Show the Bluetooth icon in the notification area"

e: Click "Apply"

No Events found!