hometownnerd1
1 Copper

RE: Dell Precision M6800 with AMD Firepro M6100 graphics issues

NOOO!!! Was hoping the motherboard would fix it. So where does that leave us now, I wonder? I have tried the latest AMD drivers from AMD's site and it was no help. Wonder if it is a Windows 10 internal thing or a driver issue, now that that takes the hardware out of the equation. Wonder if Dell would replace the AMD with the nvidia video card?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
hilks
1 Copper

Yeah, I'm fairly certain it is a driver / software issue. Otherwise I would not expect that a reboot or new instance of explorer.exe would have solved the problem. I would not be surprised to find out it's related to Visual Studio, SQL Server, etc.

I have a team of 11 developers we all have M6800's or previous revs of the same family (M6500, etc).

They all have AMD FirePro video cards and the majority of us have had some issue or another related to the video card. Some, the garbled display as you describe, others the screen has just gone black and you have no choice but to do a hard reset and loose your work.

Dell has replaced several of our motherboards, video cards, HDDs etc. in an attempt to fix these issues.

Moving forward we'll be buying the New Precision 17 7000 Series (7710) with NVidia cards.

I've asked our dell rep if I could buy a new NVidia Card to replace the AMD cards in our current workstations and he said that is not an option. I guess the video card may be integrated into the MB or something.

As far as our open support cases with Dell for your machine and mine maybe Dell would consider replacing the video card / mother board with an NVidia card, just to better isolate the issue.

0 Kudos
hometownnerd1
1 Copper

I agree maybe they need to try the nvidia cards but I noticed something today that may make that a moot point. I am still on the old motherboard with the new AMD video card and thought I would mess with it and see what I can do. I tried plugging in my display port display and of course it garbles the display on that monitor, but it also garbles the display on the USB display I have as well. I unplugged the USB display and it still left the garbled display port display. Then I messed with the AMD settings to see if there was some magic button I missed some where, there was not. So I thought let me check the Intel video settings, when I launched it, it jumped onto my display port display, which I could not see. I hovered over the icon in the taskbar on my main display and the intel display settings app showed up garbled in the preview on the good display, that makes me think it may be a Windows 10 issue, I am not sure how Windows would "know" the display is garbled unless it "knew" it was displaying it that way. So anyway when I moved the Intel App to my good display I went to the displays....multiple displays option and the display port display was not even recognized by the Intel App which struck me funny too. Now I am not sure where the blame lies, honestly. I tried the Intel drivers from the Intel site which claimed to fix garbled or corrupt displays but it did not help, and the version was even less than the Dell site Intel Drivers claimed to be.

This is all quite confusing, but I am thinking the problem may lie in Windows itself, I guess I will try to see what MS says on twitter about it, there is a guy that is very responsive there.

Thanks for helping with your information!

0 Kudos
SvenC
2 Bronze

Are you talking about Gabe Aul as the twitter guy? I've tweeted about this a few times and received no response. Reported in the Windows Insider forum and Windows Feedback tool, no response. Frustrating experience.

0 Kudos
hometownnerd1
1 Copper

No, although I do follow him too, I was talking about NorthFaceHiker, he is a bit more responsive and seems to be on the fix stuff team. Although, I am not sure if he will or can help anyway.

0 Kudos
hilks
1 Copper

This is really starting to frustrate me.  Below is a screen shot of my garbled display.  Also, I keep getting the attached notification telling me that my driver failed.  It used to be when the driver failed but has successfully recovered notification came up the display would recover and not be garbled, but for some reason that is not the case.

I wonder if Dell even looks at this forum.  What's it gonna take for them to chime in.

hometownnerd1
1 Copper

That is exactly the same as what I see on my screen. Dell was talking to us on the forum a while back, Terry, and he was pretty responsive, but haven't heard from him in a while. The tech just put my new motherboard in yesterday, and of course it did not help. Then I was put on phone with a tier 1ish person that said I needed to dial a certain number and give them my case number because they have a known issue with Windows 10 and AMD and there were some settings that needed to be set. When I called that number, they read through my case and said they could do a system exchange, I asked if they could swap the Nvidia card in instead of the AMD and the tech said they could make a note, but there could be no guarantee. Then they put me on hold again for a while and came back and said they could just refund the system and then buy another one with the Nvidia card, of course I was on the phone for 2 hours, but I think I am going to be getting the nvidia card in a new laptop. My laptop is only a month old, so now I get to set it all back up again, there goes another weekend.

0 Kudos
mgiovannan
1 Copper

I have the same problem. AMD Driver is not working properly. The switch operation is not correctly done. Every one with a precision m6800 and an amd graphic card has this issue. It was already the case with Windows 8.1 Windows 8 and Windows 7. With previous Windows versions, the problem could be "solved" by turning the switchable graphic off.

With Windows 10 there are problems both with and without the switchable graphic.

Dell just knows this, I’ve spend three months arguing with the French support, but they do nothing and they take the Customers for idiots.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
hometownnerd1
1 Copper

I am back, just wanted to let others know what I worked out over the weekend. I received an exchange laptop, of course still has the AMD video card same FirePro 6100. I installed Windows 10 first thing, everything was fine on the display port to DVI cord I have. I then installed Chrome and a few other non-important apps, clipboard manager and a few other apps that have nothing to do with the display, everything was fine. I installed Actual Multiple Monitor and still everything was fine. Then I installed Visual Studio 2015, with the ability to build universal apps and Windows phone apps and rebooted. BLAMMO, the display port garbled up. Went to uninstall VS, which is not the most fun since everything is in pieces, but I removed everything that seemed came from VS. Then I rebooted, still garbled. ARGH! So I went into Windows Features and scanned through what was checked, Hyper V was checked, I unchecked it and rebooted, corruption gone!!! I reinstalled VS2015 and then went back in to Windows Features Hyper V is checked again, unchecked it, tells me to reboot and bam CORRUPTION IS GONE. So now I have VS2015 installed with no corruption because I unchecked Hyper V, I am not sure yet what that means for development yet, will need to find out later, I have since installed SQL Server 2014 and everything is now fine. I did need to install AMD drivers once I got in to my super wide Dell Monitor to get the display to be recognized on the display port and to get the full resolution, but after that all is now fine. Hope this helps those of you with this issue!

Later

eeit232
1 Copper

Its been a while, but you might still find this useful.

I suspect your issue is because the M6100 FirePro driver is not compatible with Hyper-V.

Visual Studio enables Hyper-V role when installed.

The switching connections etc is only related because that is what triggers the switchable graphics to use the M6100 instead of the onboard HD4600.

You can remove the Hyper-V role if you are not using it, Visual Studio does not require it for the majority of functionality.

0 Kudos