Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2015 12:00

Dell Precision M6800 with AMD Firepro M6100 graphics issues

I have just received a M6800 laptop, it has 32gb ram and i7processor and 256gb SSD and a 1tb hdd with a the built in intel hd 4600 display and a firepro m6100 and it is running Windows . When I booted it Friday using a DVI connected display and a display port to DVI display and a usb display, it worked fine. I started installing SQL server and visual studio etc. I had to reboot and now the display on the display port gets garbled up when it gets to the screen you click to log in. I have tried this on a few EPort replicators and it happens almost everytime. I have installed the latest AMD drivers, first from Dell then from AMD and that has not helped. I even rest windows 10 and it happened after that. I have booted it with display port plugged in and it booted to a garbled display, then when I disconnected the cord the remaining displays cleaned right up. I am not sure what will help me at this point. Anyone have any ideas what to do next?

Thanks,

Later

January 15th, 2016 08:00

That is exactly the same as what I see on my screen. Dell was talking to us on the forum a while back, Terry, and he was pretty responsive, but haven't heard from him in a while. The tech just put my new motherboard in yesterday, and of course it did not help. Then I was put on phone with a tier 1ish person that said I needed to dial a certain number and give them my case number because they have a known issue with Windows 10 and AMD and there were some settings that needed to be set. When I called that number, they read through my case and said they could do a system exchange, I asked if they could swap the Nvidia card in instead of the AMD and the tech said they could make a note, but there could be no guarantee. Then they put me on hold again for a while and came back and said they could just refund the system and then buy another one with the Nvidia card, of course I was on the phone for 2 hours, but I think I am going to be getting the nvidia card in a new laptop. My laptop is only a month old, so now I get to set it all back up again, there goes another weekend.

7 Posts

January 27th, 2016 15:00

I have the same problem. AMD Driver is not working properly. The switch operation is not correctly done. Every one with a precision m6800 and an amd graphic card has this issue. It was already the case with Windows 8.1 Windows 8 and Windows 7. With previous Windows versions, the problem could be "solved" by turning the switchable graphic off.

With Windows 10 there are problems both with and without the switchable graphic.

Dell just knows this, I’ve spend three months arguing with the French support, but they do nothing and they take the Customers for idiots.

February 1st, 2016 06:00

I am back, just wanted to let others know what I worked out over the weekend. I received an exchange laptop, of course still has the AMD video card same FirePro 6100. I installed Windows 10 first thing, everything was fine on the display port to DVI cord I have. I then installed Chrome and a few other non-important apps, clipboard manager and a few other apps that have nothing to do with the display, everything was fine. I installed Actual Multiple Monitor and still everything was fine. Then I installed Visual Studio 2015, with the ability to build universal apps and Windows phone apps and rebooted. BLAMMO, the display port garbled up. Went to uninstall VS, which is not the most fun since everything is in pieces, but I removed everything that seemed came from VS. Then I rebooted, still garbled. ARGH! So I went into Windows Features and scanned through what was checked, Hyper V was checked, I unchecked it and rebooted, corruption gone!!! I reinstalled VS2015 and then went back in to Windows Features Hyper V is checked again, unchecked it, tells me to reboot and bam CORRUPTION IS GONE. So now I have VS2015 installed with no corruption because I unchecked Hyper V, I am not sure yet what that means for development yet, will need to find out later, I have since installed SQL Server 2014 and everything is now fine. I did need to install AMD drivers once I got in to my super wide Dell Monitor to get the display to be recognized on the display port and to get the full resolution, but after that all is now fine. Hope this helps those of you with this issue!

Later

1 Message

June 6th, 2016 08:00

Its been a while, but you might still find this useful.

I suspect your issue is because the M6100 FirePro driver is not compatible with Hyper-V.

Visual Studio enables Hyper-V role when installed.

The switching connections etc is only related because that is what triggers the switchable graphics to use the M6100 instead of the onboard HD4600.

You can remove the Hyper-V role if you are not using it, Visual Studio does not require it for the majority of functionality.

24 Posts

June 6th, 2016 22:00

I need Hyper-V as I use VMs on my m6800 for development.

I gave up on AMD and replaced it with nvidia, problem gone.

7 Posts

June 7th, 2016 03:00

I also need Hyper-V. I gave up on Dell and AMD some time ago replaced with HP and nvidia.

Problem gone.

I've been taken for a fool by the customer services for too long, and no solution have been found in more than a year. I'll go give my money to someone that deliver a descent product. And from what i have seen, dell is not that compagny.

1 Message

June 18th, 2016 08:00

Thank you so much. This was exactly the issue for me.

I had installed Visual Studio 2015 Update 2 (KB3022398) and Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 (KB3151378) and my grahpics was totally garbled after installing these 2 updates and restaring PC.

Turning off Hyper V fixed the issue.

17 Posts

July 26th, 2016 08:00

My M6800 has an Intel i7-4700MQ processor, 24GB of RAM, and AMD FirePro M6100 GPU.  I'm running Windows 8.1.

I keep this running for weeks without a restart so the DisplayPort garbage hasn't happened much.  Yesterday I decided to track it down.

If I tell Windows to restart, monitors connected to internal DisplayPort and E-Port Plus Video 2 DisplayPort show random images starting just before Windows is ready for login.  E-Port Plus Video 1 DisplayPort doesn't have this symptom.  If I instead shutdown and power-up, the displays are normal.

I've swapped the monitors on my dock DisplayPorts.  I've tested with only one monitor -- on the internal DisplayPort instead of the dock.  I've tried Dell's DP-DVI adapter instead of DP-DP.  The problem is consistent.  Any monitor connected to a DisplayPort other than E-Port Plus Video 1 will show a random image upon restart.

I found it interesting that even when the display shows random images, the mouse cursor is clear.  The pointer is not affected.

August 11th, 2016 20:00

Spoke with Dell CS; it took 2 calls, but I got did get a very proficient representative who consulted with his supervisor and spoke well about this case. (The first rep turned me away stating that I needed to re-install Windows 8 in order for him to discuss the matter with me).

CS verified that AMD needs to provide resolution and driver updates to properly support Hyper-V.  The M6800 is a server class machine and it is intended to run Hyper-V; so they do consider it a flaw.

As a result of my support ticket, AMD as well as Dell Technical Support teams are being escalated.  Apparently this is a known issue dating from January, 2016; however there is just a single report of a customer complaint (probably someone else in this thread).  Nevertheless, they will be getting back to me in 24h with a status resolution update.

24 Posts

August 12th, 2016 07:00

Good luck. Hope you get a solution for this. Really bad experience with AMD in this case. Might go for nvidia next time...

1 Message

August 15th, 2016 06:00

I had the same issue with my M6800 and AND Fire Pro. The problem on my Notebook was that after installation of VS the Hyper-V Option was active. Hyper-V and Firepro obviously doesn't work together. 

I don't know if your Problem is solved in between. I simply deactivated the Hyper-V option and everything worked fine.

Ruediger

December 2nd, 2016 04:00

I just started a new job and they issued me a M6800

Had similar issues with the display port.

Tried several different AMD drivers and some kind of helped until reboot then it would come back.

After several tries I updated the intel display driver to the latest one and my issue went away.

Rebooted several times, loaded Hyper V and other applications no issue

One of the things I was seeing was extra displays showing up. After installing the intel driver I have the correct amount of displays and no more garbled displays.

Name Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

Name AMD Radeon HD 8950

Loaded the latest driver from the dell site for both cards and I don't seem to be having any issues

1 Message

December 14th, 2016 05:00

Do you mind sharing your case/support ticket ID?  I think if all of us created a ticket and referenced yours, this might get more attention.. I have this same issue.. created a ticket, sent it in, they reimaged it, and then deduced there was nothing wrong.  My boss got frustrated and had Dell send it back... but I'm wanting to get it fixed.. I'd prefer they just use the warranty ("money") and swap out the video cards.  My unit is about a year old now with a 3yr.

Was there a solution to your ticket?  If so, that's even better, 'cause then they can use that same solution to resolve new cases.

17 Posts

December 14th, 2016 14:00

My service request was number .  Dell replaced the AMD FirePro video with NVIDIA Quadro K3100M.  In the end it was good, but it took several tries.  

1. The first video replacement killed the motherboard.  (V2)

2. Replacing both the video  and motherboard was partial success, with battery not working properly. (V3, M2)

3. The motherboard was replaced again and the battery worked, but the Wi-Fi switch was disconnected so no Wi-Fi.  (M3)

4.  Wi-Fi switch reconnected.

If my count is accurate, I'm on my third motherboard and third video card and all is well.  The laptop runs Hyper-V and don't lose video functionality on a reboot.  Ask for "depot repair" if you prefer to have everything working the first time and can give up your laptop for a few days.

One interesting note regarding DisplayPort with M6800.  When docked, the DisplayPort on the laptop works or doesn't work depending on which video card you have--works with AMD not with NVIDIA.  I was connecting my third monitor to this port and it stopped working after the NVIDIA fix.  

I had an older E-Port Plus docking station that had USB 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.1.  I replaced this with a newer E-Port Plus.  The new EPP works with a StarTech DisplayPort MST hub, so I can connect two DP monitors to Video 2 and one to Video 1, for a total of 3 again.

No Events found!