Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

December 1st, 2008 02:00

Dell Spain trying to avoid repairing my XPS M1330 under warranty

Hi I´m currently dealing with Dell Spain and they´re saying they won´t repair my laptop under my extended Next Business Day guarantee. Here are the details:

I previously had a problem with the right hinge, which came loose. On that occasion I was sent a repairman who changed both hinges as well as a couple of other affected parts. Recently, both of the hinges came loose so the entire back panel moves up and down.

The unfortunate part is that I was waiting for a convenient time to ring and get it repaired and in the meantime my laptop suffered a fall (only from about 20cm to the floor) and this cracked the silver side strip. I was surprised that this would happen, but presume that the part had been weakened on the both occasions that the hinges had failed...

Anyway, so I ring Dell and tell them about this including the recurrence of the problem with the hinges and the subsequent fall and damage. Now Dell Spain are saying that because of the fall they won´t cover the damage.

My point is that the hinges were already loose so at least that should be covered, and I believe that the side part has also been damaged in part due to the problem with the hinges...

In my guarantee it says that "Dell Service does not cover damage caused by... Accidental damage" But I´ve made my point clear that this damage was not caused by the accident and even so, I am being told that they won´t repair it under the cover.

I don´t know if I have many options now. I´m considering paying for the repair and complaining to Dell headquarters. Does anyone have any other suggestions or comments on my case? Thanks for your help

4.6K Posts

December 1st, 2008 06:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-5:

I'm afraid Dell are perfectly within their rights to refuse to repair the fall damage under warranty.

The additional damage caused by the fall, is not covered under standard warranty.

Dell only have your word for it, that the hinge problems existed prior to the fall.  So even if they did (and I personally have no reason to doubt that), you have no way to prove it, unfortunately.

It's precisely for the potential of accidents, that you pay (or don't) for 'Complete Care' for. 

If you choose not to pay for Complete Care, and the laptop suffers damage from an accident (such as in this case), then you're liable for the costs to repair the damage :emotion-6:

2 Posts

December 2nd, 2008 16:00

So from that, Dell are liable to pay for the damage caused before the fall, and the only problem is that seemingly I can't prove it.

How about I send in witness statements from people who were aware of the hinges problem? Do you think that would be worth a try? I may be clutching at straws here, but it's not a nice situation. To me it seems like they're calling me a liar, I've told them exactly what happened. It hardly seems fair.

/end whinge ;o)

13 Posts

December 7th, 2008 08:00

Even if you didn't tell them, a crack is still a crack.

Anyhow, you can try to make a deal and have them send a technician for changing the hinges while you can pay for replacing the part with the crack.

Good luck

No Events found!