Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

9 Posts

July 31st, 2008 04:00

Dell Studio 15 - How to run Dual External Monitors?

I just ordered a Dell Studio 15 with 256mb ATI Radeon 3450 video card. I don't have it yet, but it looks like I'll have a VGA input and an HDMI input.

I'd like to get two 20.1" widescreen LCD's and run the desktop extended across the two screens so that I can have multiple windows open simultaneously, but not use the laptop LCD.

What's the best way to do this? Is there a VGA splitter I can get to hook up two VGA cables to the one input, or would that just replicate the same image over both monitors?

Will it work if I get a monitor with HDMI output and have one hooked up via VGA and one via HDMI? 

Every docking station/port replicator I've looked at only has one VGA input, so I don't think that will solve the problem.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

~Travis

Message Edited by Trav06 on 07-31-2008 02:20 AM

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 31st, 2008 09:00

Your best bet is to buy a notebook with two outputs - VGA and DVI - that means a Latitude or Precision, not a Studio.  At that, when you run the two externals, you'll lose the internal display.  If you need all three at once you'll need a unit with a true dock - i.e., a D-series, and it'll have to have a video card installed in it.

9 Posts

July 31st, 2008 15:00

I have two outputs though, VGA and HDMI. If I get two monitors, one with HDMI, shouldn't I be able to output via VGA and HDMI and lose the laptop monitor?

1 Message

July 27th, 2010 08:00

I have exactly the same question -- can you run a sStudio 15 with dual monitors?  One using VGA and one using HDMI? 

3 Posts

August 17th, 2010 07:00

I have the Dell Studio 15 also with the VGA and HDMI outs, wondering if anyone has successfully setup dual monitors? I currently have one external Samsung widescreen setup via VGA and would like to get another one to connect via HDMI but want to make sure it will work first.

No Events found!