Highlighted

Dell Studio 1535 wont start. Blinking mute and volume up button, solid volume down button.

Hi, 

My Dell Studio has just crashed and wont restart. The mute and volume up buttons are flashing and the volume down button is solidly lit. I could not find the diagnostic code when searching the internet. I could find pretty much every other diagnostic code apart from this one. 

Any advice would be most welcome. 

Thanks, 

Andy 

0 Kudos
17 Replies

Re: Dell Studio 1535 wont start. Blinking mute and volume up button, solid volume down button.

Hi Andy,

Welcome to Dell community!

As you have correctly pointed out, the diagnostic code that you have mentioned is not among the codes available to isolate the failure for a Studio 1535 laptop. The closest code is: blinking Mute LED and Volume up LED, and an off Volume down LED which is for USB controller initialization failure. Disconnect any external devices connected and try powering on the computer.

Reseating the memory modules too can help us. Please refer the following link for the Studio 1535 service manual for instructions: http://bit.ly/10PrLgH

If issue persists, the laptop’s motherboard has to be replaced. Refer the following link to check the computer’s warranty status: http://dell.to/10pMa86

If the computer has active warranty, please send me the service tag and registered owner’s name on the computer in a Private Message. To send me a Private Message, click my User name, and then click Start Conversation.

If the warranty on the computer has expired, you may contact our expired warranty services to purchase/replace the compatible parts. Please refer the following link that has contact details for our Expired Warranty Services: http://dell.to/14FoBtb

Thanks & Regards
Kalyan S
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US; India. For Dell support videos click Here.

0 Kudos

Re: Dell Studio 1535 wont start. Blinking mute and volume up button, solid volume down button.

Thanks for your reply Kalyan,

I've tried re-seating the RAM modules with no success. I really could do with finding out exactly what the error code means. I don't want to replace the motherboard if the fault is something more simple or a CPU fault for example.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Andy

0 Kudos

Hi Andy,

I have researched about the issue and can only say that an integrated component on the motherboard has encountered failure for which the motherboard has to be replaced. Please check and let me know if your computer is under warranty using the link in my previous post.

If the computer does not have an active warranty, you may contact our expired warranty services for a parts and labor billing estimate.

Thanks & Regards
Kalyan S
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US; India. For Dell support videos click Here.

0 Kudos

I have now replaced the motherboard and the same blinking lights are occurring. 

I really need to locate the exact meaning of these lights. it's very frustrating.

Any further info would be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Andy

0 Kudos

Hi Andy,

Just to confirm – you have purchased a replacement motherboard and installed it but the issue persists?

Regarding the diagnostic lights, there is no definite meaning for the way they are behaving on your laptop. Regret the inconvenience caused.

Thanks & Regards
Kalyan S
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos
tattvarules
Copper

RE: Dell Studio 1535 wont start. Blinking mute and volume up button, solid volume down button.

Hi Andy, I have the same problem with my laptop. Could you please let me know how you resolved it or what the actual issue is. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Cheenu
Copper

RE: Dell Studio 1535 wont start. Blinking mute and volume up button, solid volume down button.

I had the exact same issue. Nothing is wrong with the motherboard. The problem is with the thermal pads on the cooling system. I just changed those and it start working again.

pcarbery
Copper

Any chance of being more specific about the problem........were the pads worn away? did you use thermal paste?

I have the same problem.....but pads look ok....

Appreciate any help

0 Kudos

Hi. Sorry that I didn't see the replies to this thread before.

I don't believe that this was a thermal fault. I frequently replace the thermal paste (AS5) and monitor the temperatures using CPUID HWMonitor. There were no thermal issues. I failed to mention in the original post that I had recently replaced the motherboard due to an unrelated failure of the GPU (ATI). The blinking lights appeared a couple of days after I installed the new motherboard. I returned the motherboard to the seller and fitted the replacement, only to find the same blinking lights error. It seems highly unlikely that two separate motherboards had exactly the same fault. Eventually, I removed the motherboard completely and refitted it, making sure all the connections were fully seated. Hey presto, it worked again.

It seems that the fault was a loose connection somewhere. However, I am unsure of where. Obviously, taking the laptop apart and reseating all of the connections is not for the feint of heart. However, if it is out of warranty, and you're comfortable to do so, then it may be a viable option, if only to eliminate possible issues. I was quite happy doing this as I've become very familiar with the maintenance of this machine over the years. It's pretty rare that electronic devices are designed with user maintenance in mind. That's a huge selling point to me.

For a good idea of what the removal and replacement of a motherboard entails, this video is excellent:

Clearly, any attempt to take your laptop apart in such a way is done at your own risk.

Since I resolved the problem, my Studio is still running well. In fact better than it ever has. I hope you can resolve the issue. I'm glad I didn't just end up buying a new laptop because of a faulty connection.

0 Kudos