Hey, my battery has been fine since i got my laptop. I could get a decent number of hours on a full charge. Until today. The battery does not charge at all as shown in the first screen shot. As soon as the power cord is taken out, the laptop turns off instantly. Without fail. Is there anything i can do? Is something wrong with my motherboard? Or should I just buy a new battery? I find it pretty convenient for dell, that less than 3 months after my warranty expires, my battery fails.
If it says 90W, which means that there is nothing wrong with your Motherboard or AC Adpt.
Try updating the application 'QuickSet' on your system.
Follow these steps :
1) Go to Add/Remove programs, uninstall QuickSet. Restart your system.
2) Go to support site for Studio 1555 applications. Click here to go there now. (Make sure you choose the correct OS)
3) Install QuickSet and restart the system.
4) Even after reinstalling if you face the same problem, Update BIOS from the same link.
5) If still the problem persists, i am afraid you mite have to buy a new battery.
I have the same problem (adapter connected but battery won't charge, but when I go into BIOS, against AC Adapter Type it says "Unknown device installed". I also get an error message at startup saying it doesn't recognise the AC adapter. This has only happened since I took it back to the shop (with the battery problem) and they tested it with a different power adapter. Do you have any suggestions?
It is 2 years old and I have extended warranty but that doesn't cover battery or cords!