gurpswu
1 Copper

Dell Studio 1555 Battery Failure

Hey, my battery has been fine since i got my laptop. I could get a decent number of hours on a full charge. Until today. The battery does not charge at all as shown in the first screen shot. As soon as the power cord is taken out, the laptop turns off instantly. Without fail. Is there anything i can do? Is something wrong with my motherboard? Or should I just buy a new battery? I find it pretty convenient for dell, that less than 3 months after my warranty expires, my battery fails.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Dell Studio 1555 Battery Failure

Hi,

The problem could be with the battery, Motherboard or the AC Adpt for that matter.

You can check one thing.

Go into BIOS (Keep tapping F2 when u start the system)

The BIOS Screen will look like this

Check the AC Adapter Type.

What does it say ?

- Telson

Forum Member Since 2010

0 Kudos
gurpswu
1 Copper

Thanks for the reply.

It says "90W".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

If it says 90W, which means that there is nothing wrong with your Motherboard or AC Adpt.

Try updating the application 'QuickSet' on your system.

Follow these steps :

1) Go to Add/Remove programs, uninstall QuickSet. Restart your system.

2) Go to support site for Studio 1555 applications. Click here to go there now. (Make sure you choose the correct OS)

3) Install QuickSet and restart the system.

4) Even after reinstalling if you face the same problem, Update BIOS from the same link.

5) If still the problem persists, i am afraid you mite have to buy a new battery.

- Telson.

Forum Member Since 2010

Steve Dobney
1 Copper

Hi

I have the same problem (adapter connected but battery won't charge, but when I go into BIOS, against AC Adapter Type it says "Unknown device installed". I also get an error message at startup saying it doesn't recognise the AC adapter. This has only happened since I took it back to the shop (with the battery problem) and they tested it with a different power adapter. Do you have any suggestions?

It is 2 years old and I have extended warranty but that doesn't cover battery or cords!

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

Try another Dell adapter - if it doesn't solve the problem, then your system needs a mainboard repair or replacement.

0 Kudos
dill8849
1 Copper

What should i do if it says 65W?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

What should i do if it says 65W?

You need to re-install the 'Quick Set' application on your system and it shall work fine. Detecting 65W in BIOS means there is nothing wrong with the Adapter and its a software problem

Forum Member Since 2010

0 Kudos
dill8849
1 Copper

I can't find the right quick set program, can you help me?

0 Kudos

RE: Dell Studio 1555 Battery Failure

Hello Telson, 

I have a question, how do I check AC adapter type? On Bios screen AC adapter's type is None. 

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos