Highlighted
ysuryak
1 Copper

Dell Studio 1555 not Booting - Beeping sounds. Will replacing CMOS battery help?

Well my laptop was working fine till last night, I had just kept it on Sleep for some time. When I tried turning it on again, it wouldn't (even the Dell logo doesn't come). Then I tried everything from removing CMOS battery for sometime to trying Fn+Power button but nothing works. This is the second time that I've had this issue in the last 6 months. The last time, the guy at the service centre said it was some Video Card problem. Although, I have a hunch that all he did back then was replace the CMOS battery with a new one (found it to be a Mitsubishi cell - don't know if that's the brand that comes with the laptop by default). So, I don't want to end up spending a lot of money on this again. Will replacing the CMOS battery with a new one help?

--

Surya 

0 Kudos
13 Replies

Re: Dell Studio 1555 not Booting - Beeping sounds. Will replacing CMOS battery help?

Hi Surya,

Welcome to Dell Community Forum.

For various system failures the system is designed to emit specific beep codes which is designated by a number. The beep code signifies the number of beeps that would be emitted. For example beep code 4 represents a series of 4beeps where:

1. The delay between each beep will be 300 Ms.
  2. The delay between each set of beeps is 3 seconds.
  3. The duration of each single beep is 300 Ms.

After each beep and each set of beeps, the BIOS will detect if the user presses the power button. If a power button press is detected then the BIOS will exit looping and will execute normal shutdown process.

Please let us know how many beeps you hear so that we can determine the specific component failure in the computer.

Additionally, you can click on this link for an article on how to obtain your computer’s beep codes to help troubleshoot your computer: http://dell.to/15PAkax

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

0 Kudos
ysuryak
1 Copper

Re: Dell Studio 1555 not Booting - Beeping sounds. Will replacing CMOS battery help?

Hi Babita,

Well I'm afraid I'm getting 6 beeps, and I know this would lead to a motherboard issue. But the last time I ha the similar problem (with same no. of beeps), I didn't go in for any part replacements. 

--

Surya 

0 Kudos
ysuryak
1 Copper

Can anybody help me with this issue please?

0 Kudos
Robin3
3 Argentium

6 beeps is Video Card failure....this will require a replacement motherboard.

www.parts-people.com/index.php

Robin

0 Kudos

Hi Surya,

Thank you for your reply.

If the system is under warranty, please contact me through private message by clicking on my name highlighted in blue. On the next page, click the envelope icon and provide your service tag and contact information (as mentioned below) so that I may access your system records.

• System Service Tag No.:
  • Registered System Owner's Name:
  • Shipping address:
  • Telephone number/s:
  • Email address:

However, if the system is out of warranty, then you can contact our Expired Warranty Support at the link below:

http://dell.to/12LmNBq

Please feel free to contact us in case of further queries. We would be happy to help.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

0 Kudos

Hi Surya,

We hope the issue with your computer is resolved.

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to my post.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

0 Kudos
ysuryak
1 Copper

Hi Babita,

The link you've shared with me was for a warranty renewal if I'm right. I would not like to go in for a renewal at the moment, but just want to fix my issue with my video card.

Would be great if you could let me know what the problem could be exactly and how much it would cost me.

--

Surya

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

You'll need a mainboard replacement.  If you have Intel video, it's this board

www.parts-people.com/index.php

If ATI,

e-merrilltech.com/dell-studio-1555-discrete-system-board-512mb-ati-video-c235m.html

0 Kudos

Hi Surya,

Thank you for your reply.

The link provided is for Expired Warranty Support Assistance (fee-based support), in the United States , in case the warranty has expired on the system. It is not for warranty renewal.

If your computer is not under active warranty and you want to get the system repaired through Dell, you can click on the link and select the country where service is required, on the top-left corner (it is currently selected to USA). Click on the option for "Support" and then "Contact Us" for contact details. The technical support representative you speak with should be able to provide you the information you require.

Please reply if you have further queries.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

0 Kudos