Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 19th, 2010 21:00

Dell Studio 1555 power button cable

I have a Dell Studio 1555 that the right side of the lcd bezel popped out on and the 3 wires to the power button all broke loose.  I haven't a clue what the attachment order on the power switch board should be.  I can identify position 1 because it is marked on the board.  Any help in the placement for the blue, white and green wires would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

2 Posts

January 24th, 2012 14:00

I have a Dell Studio 1555, pretty old at this point, but it died (i.e. the powerbutton got disconnected) suddenly and I'd like to get my files off it.  I did a little research, but it seems like for the 1555 model, the wifi and powerbutton are not bundled together, see

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Any other ideas?  I like the rewiring idea, seems to need the least soldering, is there a way to change some other button to be the powerbutton?

Thanks!

1 Message

February 7th, 2010 14:00

Hi richlausyx,

The very same thing happened me today. Did you find out what it is callad as I also need to order one.

Thanks

Des,

2 Posts

February 7th, 2010 20:00

Hi Des,

I toyed with the idea of resoldering the connectors but as I found out
there is an LED in the switch and Ijust couldn't bring myself to
attempt the job, especially in the absence of knowing the wiring
order.  In desperation I searched the internet for information and
incredibly the first place I found that had the part was less than 3
miles from my home!  I was able to walk in and get the part (even
received a 10% cash discount).  I have never been so lucky ;-)
Reassembly was so easy and it works perfectly.

Here is the  link, I hope it helps.

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=6269

Best of luck,

Richard

February 15th, 2010 00:00

Hi Richard,

I'm glad you resolved your problem. I have the same issue as you and would just like to ask you if you could advise which order the wires were connected?

I'm comfortable soldering the wires but need to know the order please. If you don't mind sharing - as I am in the UK.

Thanks

Tahir

4 Posts

February 15th, 2010 10:00

Same exact problem: popped bezel resulted in a malfunctioning power button.  

Looks like the replacement part just plugs into the MB, it's just unfortunate you have to replace the (useless) wifi button too.  The wiring is a pain.

February 16th, 2010 12:00

Same problem hear , I sent my laptop for servicing once and after it came back it has started having the same problem ...

Now its dead as I am not able to start it with the wires of start button out 

Any kind of help will be grate my model studio 1535 .

2 Posts

February 18th, 2010 14:00

Hi Tahir

Broke my power button wires too, did you find the order witch the wires were connected?

thanks

Richard

4 Posts

February 19th, 2010 15:00

As a side note for anyone looking, it may be just as expensive to replace the whole back cover by searching for part number T924F.  Caveat emptor, this may not include the bezel that has popped off but could give you a new attachment point.  

Jack

2 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 08:00

Here is a working powerbutton cable, I used this picture to mend mine and is now working fine.

My cable have different insulation colors, but the combination is the same.

Hope this can be helpfull

February 22nd, 2010 10:00

Thanks a Lot , I used the above and my laptop is working grate .......

The tricky part was to get the wires out for the work and fixing them back and I resolved every thing by taking  Images of the complete thing and fixing again 

thanks flim1980 for the images .\

Thanks to DELL for the Instruction for opening the dell display and reassembling instructions .

Thanks all for the suggestions .

IF any one wants any images of the Dell studio 1535  inside look please mail me.

sorry for the late response Richard but the answer was no - until today :emotion-1:

Wow  - finally a knight in shining armour!  Thank You!

Were your wires green, blue and white on the power switch? Because the ones above are red, brown, black on the power switch in the photo. 

So I am understanding that I connect green where the red is, blue where the brown is and then white where the black is.

If that's is not the order for yours then let me know - thanks

1 Message

March 8th, 2010 03:00

A question for everyone who had success in replacing the power button cable--how did you get access to where it connects to the motherboard? I have the same issue that everyone in this thread has had, and I need to know how to remove the button cable, preferably without tearing the entire laptop apart. So any help would be appreciated...

March 8th, 2010 10:00

-how did you get access to where it connects to the motherboard?

1. Did you already rip it up or if you want to do that - first go to this link and follow the instructions :

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

You should first go to this and you will have all the questions answered .

2. There is a catch hear,  the cable for power button is the same one that also goes to WIFI button on the other side , So if you want to take out the complete cable you need to just open up the complete display assembly.

3. If you need any photo graphs of things inside mail me will send you or put it hear .

6 Posts

March 25th, 2010 14:00

To whom it might be useful:

I have a dell studio 1735 that crashed onto the floor, damaging the power button pretty bad.
Instead of trying to fix the button (buy new stuff), i switched some wires in the power/wifi catcher cable connector, and am now using the wifi-catcher button as the power button.

This is how i did it:

1. disassemble the control buttons panel and keyboard
You can find a tutorial on doing that here

2. The power/wificatcher cable connector is number 3 in the image below:

(source: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/1735/en/sm/display.htm#wp1109848)

3. Remove the connector and start finding out which wires are the switch wires...
This is what it looked like in my case:
The four right wires (light brown, red, brown, black) run to the wifi button,
the three left ones (blue, green, yellow) run to the power button.
I guess the LEDs in the buttons are controlled by the green wire (power button) and the light brown wire (wifi button) which are the '+',
the '-' of the LEDs are connected to the ground (there is a conducting area on the back of the button circuits which connects the the laptop hinges).

From studio

I'm not sure all dell studio's have the same wire color configuration, but with some general logical thinking and a multimeter you can find out for yourself... You can use the top of the connector as measure points.
In my case, the power button made a connection betwoon the yellow and blue wire,
and the wifi catcher button connected the black and the brown wire.

So I put brown where blue was, black where yellow was, and disconnected green and lightbrown (these last two are signals for the LEDs i think).

4. Using a small needle, you can lift the plastic locking clips and take out the wires with a pair of tweezers.

Now put the wires connected to the wificatcher button, to where the ones of the power button were,
and remove the light brown and green ones unless you're going to switch them to trie to get the LED working correctly.
I also removed the white and blue wires from the connector (the original power button wires).

Some more pictures are available here <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

No Events found!