Geoff Edwards
2 Bronze

Dell Studio 1555

Hi

Well and truly stuck on this one. The laptop appears to boot but the Windows logon screen does not appear, or appears but without the login panel. It takes at least fifteen minutes to do that!  I cannot access the BIOS using F2, F12, and F8. I have checked the battery which can be charged but runs down very quickly - in less than an hour. the battery and the charger are Dell branded. The CMOS battery is still registering over 3V although I don't think that matters. i have tried using the installation DVD but i can't hear it spinning (I did access using F12 for that and altered, I think the boot order, subsequently I could not access the BIOS etc)

The most worrying aspect is that there are no error messages. i am wondering whether the laptop is chocked up with dust. I recently replaced the display mounting as the hinges had gone and also the keyboard and the laptop worked perfectly well.

This is my granddaughter's laptop and sod's law, the failure has occurred the week that she is going back to school.

Has anyone any ideas?  🙂

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DELL-Senthil S
4 Germanium

RE: Dell Studio 1555

Hi Geoff Edwards,

I am sorry for the inconvience; the battery life depends on the application usage, load and power settings. To improve the battery life you can refer to the link below. 

http://dell.to/WxMQag

Also clean the air vents using the can of compressed air, try releasing the static power and check if the system is functioning normally. Follow the steps below.

Switch off the system; remove the battery, ac adapter and the power cable. Press and hold down the power button for thirty seconds to drain any excess static power. In case the issue persists, try running the hardware diagnostics to check if the hardware is working as designed.

Press the FN + Power which will initiate the hardware diagnostics. Let us know if there is any error code listed.

Connect an external keyboard and check if the F2,F8 and F12 keys are functioning?

Thanks and regards,
Senthil S
#iworkfordell.
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US / India . For Dell support videos click here.

0 Kudos
Geoff Edwards
2 Bronze

Hi Dell Senthil,

Thanks for your fast response. the short battery charge seems odd to me as all that was being used was the power to boot the laptop.  The air vents appear clear, and the laptop internals were clean when I replaced the keyboard and display part of the case. 

Puzzled, if I remove the battery as suggested and get rid of static and press the Function key and Power - do you mean the on off button? That is after removing the battery and grounding the laptop I should try to access Diagnostics by simply pressing the function key and pressing the power button?

Should ths work?

Thanks

Geoff

0 Kudos
DELL-Senthil S
4 Germanium

Hi Geoff Edwards,

To release the static power, please remove the Ac adapter and the battery. Press and hold the power button (on and off button) for thirty seconds. After thrity seconds release the button.

Connect the Ac adapter and battery back in the laptop; press the FN + Power which will initiate the hardware diagnostics. Let us know if there is any error code listed.

Thanks and regards,
Senthil S
#iworkfordell.
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US / India . For Dell support videos click here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Geoff Edwards
2 Bronze

Thanks Dell-Senthil , I have managed to run the Pre-Boot system Assessment and everything passes except the hard drive 😞  the Start Test Fail  code is: 2000-0142 Status 79.

the laptop service tag is <Admin Note: removed per privacy policy~RK> it is out of warranty it looks like I need to replace the drive.

0 Kudos
DELL-Senthil S
4 Germanium

Hi Geoff Edwards,

The error code 2000-0142 indicates that the hard drive has failed; since the warranty has expired; please contact the out of warranty department on 1-844-338-1000.

To check if the optical drive is working fine, please boot from the operating sytem CD/DVD and check if the optical drive is working. Follow the steps below.

Shut down the system when CD/DVD is in the optical drive, tap F12 at the start up, you will get multiple options please select Cd/DVD and check if the optical drive is working. This will isolate that the optical drive is working.

Thanks and regards,
Senthil S
#iworkfordell.

0 Kudos