Highlighted
Tash124
1 Copper

Dell Studio 1557 8 Beeps

Hi I have a dell laptop that beeps 8 times, 6 then pause then twice more, and then it has a black screen and nothing happens. It wont boot to windows , it did once, I did a LCD Test  By holding "D" and all colours are solid and finally I connected an external monitor that was using previously with the laptop as it has good colours and resolution and when i connect it i tried both VGA And HDMI It says no video input so nothing shows up could you tell me the problem like if its ram or something inside BTW I replaced the CMOS Battery 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
8 Krypton

RE: Dell Studio 1557 8 Beeps

Eight beeps means the screen isn't detected -- six, which could be the cause of that one - means the video chip has failed.  If you're seeing nothing on an external screen, the video chip is the cause.  Since it has failed, the mainboard will need to be replaced.

Tash124
1 Copper

Thanks for the reply I'll see but as case could It be the Ram ??

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

No -- that would produce a different beep sequence (usually 4).

0 Kudos
Tash124
1 Copper

Thanks

Replacing the mainboard

How much is it going to cost me ?

Is it worth it ?

0 Kudos
Tash124
1 Copper

Is there any temporary fix so I can turn it on and get my product keys for applications and work 

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

If you need to access the hard drive, you can remove it and install it into an external case -- attach to a working system by USB and copy your data.

The boards aren't inordinately expensive to replace if you can do the job yourself:

http://www.ascendtech.us/dell-tr557-studio-1557-motherboard_i_mbdeltr557s1557.aspx

0 Kudos