Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2013 21:00

Dell Studio 1557 Black Screen

Hi. I have a dell studio 1557 laptop model number  PP39L. I bought it on February 2010. It was working fine until yesterday. I was watching a video 
on Netflix inside Windows 7, suddenly  white and black stripes appeared on the screen and my computer froze. I turned off  the computer by holding down the power button. When I restarted the computer there was nothing on the screen.  I

Yesterday I created a 50 GB partition and installed Windows Vista Ultimate Edition in  that partition from a disk. I have two other partitions C and D. C is the partition where I have installed Windows 7, which is approximately 100 GB. D is where I keep all my files and it  is approximately 150 GB. Both C and D drives are around 40% full.

I found that someone has posted similar problem in dell studio 1557 forum (http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19463842/20172375.aspx). I tried to solve the problem by following the steps mentioned by "Dell-Manpreet C" in the forum, but
nothing seems to work.

I am not sure if BIOS configuration could cause problems like this. I have set HDD password from BIOS. Also sometimes I enable and disable Speed option and Virtualization option in BIOS. I enable these two BIOS options only when I am using Virtual box in Windows 7. 

So far I have removed a RAM and  replaced with a another  Ram, and another hard disk, but it's still displaying nothing. I tried to use my hard disk in an HP laptop of a friend, but my hard disk is password protected from my computer's BIOS, so it displays an message telling to install an OS.

I will be really happy if some once could point me to the right direction. 

Thanks!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 9th, 2013 22:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community

When you push the power button, will you see any lights? Or any indicator that its powering on or booting up? Do you have an external monitor to test with? Can you shut down the computer, run LCD Test, to run the LCD BIST (Built in Self-test) Press and hold the D key on the keyboard while pressing the power button, then release both at the same time.

Let me know of the results,

3 Posts

August 10th, 2013 11:00

Hi Elijah,

When I push the power button, I can see white light in the power button. Also, I can hear the hard disk and a fan are  running. Yes, I have an external monitor to test with, but I don't know how to test with an external monitor.  

I ran LCD BIST (Built in Self-Test) like you said. The LCD screen displayed white, black , red, green, blue then again the same colors and the screen went off.

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 16th, 2013 23:00

If something came up on the screen with LCD test. Possible Motherboard Failure. To test with a known good monitor, plug it with vga cable then turn on both device. And see if it will display something, you can try toggling video via FN+F2 or FN+F8

3 Posts

August 23rd, 2013 12:00

I am not sure what was happening, but after running LCD BIST for 2-3 times it started to work again. 

Thanks.

1 Message

October 24th, 2013 09:00

Experiencing same problem, fan is running but nothing appears on screen. Studio 1557 purchased in Jan 2010.  Tried to press power buttong for 15-20 seconds without battery multiple times, does not work. This had previously worked in the past.

LCD test displays the colors before screen turns black again. When HDMI cable connected to other screen there is no signal that passes through. 

Is this a problem with the GPU?

1 Message

March 12th, 2014 19:00

I have the same problem with my DELL 1557 (purchased Dec. 2009). Thinking that my screen went bad, I purchased a replacement screen and still the black screen problem. Then I found this thread, and did The power button + 'D' key led to white, orange, green, blue... etc. So it looks like the screen is good, or at least the new one works and I installed it well enough that it works.

What's next for me to find what the problem is? I had been a long time DELL computers and laptops customers - 1 computers and 3 laptops, and three of the laptops went through this same black screen problems. I am loosing faith in Dell.

I bought a Lenovo last year, and I am just not happy with Windows 8 interface. Please help me getting this laptop (Windows 7) alive, and you will have my business again.

Thanks,

Charles

No Events found!