Kevin.Klous
1 Copper

Re: Dell Studio 1558 Freezes??

I was having a terrible time with lockups as mentioned in my previous posts.   However, when I installed the A09 bios that was supposed to fix lock ups they completely went away for probably 3 weeks.  Then a couple weeks ago the lockups returned.  I then updated my video drivers to the latest version about a week ago and so far I have not had any more lockups.  It seems to be a streaky problem but when it's happening it seems to happen about once a day or so and there is no clear pattern as to what causes it that I have found.

My advice:  Install Latest laptop BIOS and latest ATI drivers.  I'm running a clean install of Win 7 64 bit Professional.

0 Kudos
ewezel
1 Copper

I installed the latest Bios and ATI driver. So far, so good. Fingers crossed.

Erwin

0 Kudos
marcelmeth
1 Copper

I have had all the issues that people have described.  I have a Dell Studio 1558 running 64 bit Windows 7 - Q720 processor 8 GBytes of RAM ATI Mobility Radeon 5470.  System was blue screening or Freezing about once a wwek.

I have spent endless hours on the phone with Dell.  First they tried to tell me it was a virus.  FInally they had me send the machine to them  They said they replaced the MLB and memory.  When the machine came back, it was no longer blue screening, but frrezing and not waking up from sleep.  The problems were happening much more freequently than  before.

I spent another hour on the phone with them.  They wanted to send a technician to my house, but I didn;t want that.,  They finally agreed they will send me a refurbished replacment.  I can't tell you how much time I have lost on this awful machine.  I will have to spend a lot of time getting the software setup again on the new machine!  I had purchased Dell Datasafe Local Backup (Premium)  hoping this would help me restore software in such a cicurmnstance, but Dell Support tells me it won;t!

Next time, I am buying a MAC.

0 Kudos
abmarks
1 Copper

got a studio 1558 from the outlet, with the i7 720, 500gb HDD, 8gb ram, 5470 graphics.

Having read the thread, I've u[dated every driver known to man, including various of teh chipset drivers as well as upping to bios A11 and the latest ATI drivers from AMD website.

Mobo was replaced once already. 

My problem is the machine just shutting down unexpectedly.  And that's the actual error code.  Happens repeatedly and no ideas on how to fix it.

0 Kudos
ccordero8
1 Copper

Having same problem:  my Studio 1558 freezed everytime I played YouTube of Vimeo video.   The screen went black... computer freezed and I had to shut it down using button.

I found this link minutes ago and seems to solve problem for me:

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=264&threadid=138514

0 Kudos
Highlighted
abmarks
1 Copper

Have seen no love from a dell mod in this thread in many months if ever, so I showed it to te hsenior escalation guy I Am dealing with. Perhaps that will get someone to come here and help[ people.

Also, reporting that today I had nearly my whole 1558 replaced, we';ll see what happens.  mobo. memory/ fan/heatsink/ external power and battery all reaplced. Only thing not replaced here was teh Blue Ray and teh HDD, since the last thing I want to do is to have to reload all of my software onto the bleepin thing and lose another 2 weeks of my life.

Will update in a few days onec I see if my kernal 41 random shutdown error continues.

0 Kudos
mm1558
1 Copper

I also had mobo and memory replace on my 1558 i7 740q and the same problem happened again.  I had to disable card "hardware acceleration" which, to me, is not acceptable.  I plan to contact Dell next week and will escalate.  I have had success in the past citing warranty law with other defective products.  I plan to use the same approach next week and will post my progress on this site.  This is clearly a defective product that continues to be sold.  I use this machine for my business and the down-time due to the defect is costing me time (= $$$).   I cannot recommend this machine configuration to anyone.  Anyone who has this same problem should contact Dell immediately to register the problem and should also post their progress to this site so it's noted.

MLM

abmarks
1 Copper

well, I received a new mobo, memory, and new battery and new external ac power supply last week.

Since I had an outlet purchase originally, i was pleasantly surprised to notice thta the AC adapter was a newe rdesign and that I received a battery that was in better shape than my prior one (prior one only had 90% of max charge availability, this one seems factory fresh)

Anyway, tech replaced the parts, no kernel 41's for the next day.  So I imaged the HDD and swapped in my SDD, which I had been waiting to do.  It's 6 days later now and so far I have yet to see an error.

Somehow, replacing mobo/memory/battery/ac seems to have done the trick. (knocking wood).

FWIW I did notice that the memory on this replacement was samsung, not the other brand i had never heard of.  No idea if that solved the issue or not,  but I am not complaining.   I'd advise people to get as many parts replaced as possible until it is working.

I'll update again in a week to see if my luck is holding out... knocks on wood

0 Kudos
approgee
1 Copper

I read most of the posts here. I brought a dell 1558 from UK dell outlet about 2 month ago. And I found that the laptop did freeze occasionally - about once or twice a week. My laptop is i7 720QM with 6GB RAM. BIOS version is A11. System is Windows 7 x64 ultimate.

I recently (1.5 weeks ago) upgraded the video card driver and the frozen issue have not happened again since then. I seldom switch off the laptop. I put it to stanby or hibernate instead.

Please be aware that you CANNOT simply download the ATI driver from ATI/AMD website, because it WILL NOT work. The video card (ATI Mobile 5450) is specially designed for Dell so it must be downloaded directly from Dell. If you use the latest driver from ATI websute it won't recognize the video card and nothing will be upgraded.

The previously version is 8.692.1.0000, the filename from dell website is R257949.exe ; and the version I upgraded to is 8.781.100921a, the file name from dell website is R288082.exe, or try this link

The upgrade also resolved some issue with Adobe Photoshop - when closing the application the system complained the application exists abnormally. After the upgrade there is no issue anymore.

So I would suggest if you guys having these issues try this upgrade, and hope it will help.

ashwinkun
1 Copper

Hi,

I bought my dell Studio 1558 in Aug 2010 .It was running fine .But Since last 2-3 days it has started freezing .It hangs atleast 5-6 times in a day.

I called up dell support .They made me run the diagnostics.and told me it could be a problem with the software and transfered me to the software division(its a paid service).

The software division guy told me there was a boot sector virus and they have been getting a lot of calls with this problem.The only solution they told me was to replace my HDD.

But looking at all the post in this forum ,I really doubt if its a virus problem.Can anyone confirm if the relacing the HDD really solves the problem

0 Kudos