Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2010 02:00

Dell Studio 1558 black screen crashes

Hi everyone

well this is my first time posting so my apology if I forget to include something or wrong forum.

Studio 1558 [i7 1.60 Ghz 4 GB ram ATI 5470 Windows 7 64 bits]

Recently I got some GPU crashes. I reinstall the driver by uninstall graphic device and have windows reinstall the driver. Since then I haven't gotten the error. However, new problem popped up. I would be surfing and I would get a black screen crash. I checked windows reliability monitor but all I got was improper shut down. It hasn't happened while I play games only when I surf. I don't know if it was just by chance or is there something wrong that relate only to browsing. I also ran dell troubleshooting tool, anti-virus/spyware, registry scan, and disk check. Everything is fine. So now I lost. I have seen one post regarding this similar but not exact problem http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19341641.aspx .

I wonder if these is a fix or is this model defective?

Thank you for your responses in advance

3 Posts

August 10th, 2010 00:00

I just another graphic card error. I don't know what to do now. Is this a GPU people?

Anyone please help!

1 Message

August 12th, 2010 23:00

Hey Catfishman,

I'm having the same problem, and my computer's only a week old. I have the issue with streaming video from Hulu, which is a Flash based video service. I have a black screen of death, followed by an unresponsive computer, but the computer is still on. I've called technical support the past three days, they've performed remote computing to try and fix my computer, but it still continues to crash. I don't know how to fix the problem, but I've encountered some people on the internet thinking that it might be an audio codec (IDT codec?) conflict.

I'm probably going to return my computer because I only bought it two weeks ago.

1 Message

September 3rd, 2010 00:00

Does anyone else still have this issue? Is their a fix yet?

I got my dell 1558 two days ago, and I've been getting screen flickering, a black screen - where it's function is disabled but the computer is still running. I've had about 3 or 4 of these screen problems. The first time I got screen flickering, it recovered and and error appeared saying the ATI Raedon graphics has stopped working but has now recovered. The second time I got a black screen and then the system crashed or restarted actually and something called "blue screen of death" which is what windows error message said "blue screen" so I ran a registry cleaner and never got the blue screen anymore, but now I got the flickering and/or black screen again, which I had to resolve by a hard shutdown. Fearing of a virus, I ran a virus scan and everything but no viruses was found.

Specs:
i7 720QM
4 GB ram
320 GB HD
720p LED Screen
64 bit

1 Message

September 10th, 2010 16:00

Hi People,

My first time posting and I am in a much better mood now.

I had my Studio 15 1558 core i5 2.4ghz (max 2.66) 500Gb HDD and Ati HD 5470 1GB Gfx card.

I started using it and everything was fine, EVEN YOUTUBE WAS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!

I did a windows update and then all hell broke loose.

Any media streaming website such as youtube / metacafe etc would cause the laptop to black screen and become dead but still switched on, the only option was a cold boot.

I followed some advice I saw about it being an audio codec error, so I went and disabled the video drivers and the audio drivers.

Logged back into youtube and what do ya know the video played in 800*600 and 1024*768.

I switched the audio driver back on and I still had sound.

Turned the sound off again and switched on the diaplay drivers for the Ati rather than vga, then it died again.

So knowing the audio was fine and the video was dead I decided to go and download the ATI Catalyst Conctrol Centre direct from ati's website and installed it.

Fixed! no more black screens and I can watch youtube in HD in full screen and it stays alive and kicking.

3 Posts

September 10th, 2010 18:00

Hi people!

I 99.9% sure that I got rid of my problem. After Dell replace my motherboard everything seems to be working just fine. So I would suggest to allocate sometime and call Dell. It will take awhile but at least the problem will be solved.

Good Luck to you all =]

September 20th, 2010 04:00

I've been getting the identical problem with my brand new Studio 1558.

I'm very disappointed after the 2+ months of stuffing around it took to get it.

I have tried un-installing the ATI video drivers that shipped with the laptop (10.6) and re-installed all new ones (10.8). No joy.

I get both symptoms. A driver crash and recovery, or a complete crash and reboot. Or both.

Has anyone had any luck with this problem OTHER than a mobo replacement?

September 21st, 2010 03:00

I have just updated to BIOS A10, released just recently. Will see how it goes. 

There are several threads discussing a series of problems with the 1558. This one seems to be the most current. Could an admin provide an update on the Video Driver/Card/System crashes people have been reporting?

1 Message

October 1st, 2010 09:00

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE

i seem to be having a similar problem. ive had the laptop for about a week and initially started to get strange blue/green screens (lots like graphics problem) that flickered for 5-10 seconds, then the laptop would restart itself and give me a bluescreen error report once rebooted.

i updated to a10 bios, no change. i then removed mcafee completely (this has caused similar problems) using their utility download, this change my blue/green screens to the same but only black/white!

i cant see how dell are still selling this laptop considering all the problems people seem to be having with it.

to the dell team - please at least reply with some advice

ben

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE

November 3rd, 2010 17:00

Hi people!

I 99.9% sure that I got rid of my problem. After Dell replace my motherboard everything seems to be working just fine. So I would suggest to allocate sometime and call Dell. It will take awhile but at least the problem will be solved.

Good Luck to you all =]

This is what I'm looking for, Thanks for your analysis! It's good for reference.

1 Message

December 5th, 2010 13:00

I also have this problem with my studio 1558 with Radeon HD 5470 graphics card. Many streaming video sites crash the system with a black screen of death (youtube, bbc news) but also watching videos with media player. This is really poor and someone from dell should be giving some explanation on here.

Deathwatch - it sounds like you might have cracked it - could you post in more detail the steps you carried out? Thanks

martin

2 Posts

December 6th, 2010 06:00

First excuse my english, I'm french ^^

I also havo problems with my Studio15 58, core i7, Radeon 5470 and bluray optical drive.

I had the streaming problem with sites like youtube, dailymotion... I partially solve it by disabled hardware acceleration in flash player.
The probleme appear only with SD videos, not HD.
I have read that the problem is caused by bad decode process of SD H264 stream in Catalyst drivers (since 10.2 version) (http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=135419).

I also have problem with giant cursor that appears randomly (http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19331837.aspx?PageIndex=3).

Last problem:
If I update graphics drivers (Catalyst 10.11 or 10.10, 10.9, 10.8), the giant cursor problem disappear, but I can't play bluray anymore.

1 Message

June 27th, 2013 21:00

I have the same problem.

Any comment from a Dell Admin?!! very nice product and service BTW!!!!!

No Events found!