Highlighted
englebert
1 Copper

Dell Studio 1558 will not play audio or video with anything other than MS Media Player

Hello,

Having resolved problems with my 1558 graphics failing by getting the processor re-balled, I decided to go for a clean re-install. I have re-installed the OS (Windows 7 64 bit) from the dell partition on my laptop, carried out updates and tried to re-install drivers from the support website. I can now only consistently play DVDs, video files and audio using Windows Media Player 12. VLC media played does not play anything, and Media Player Classic as packaged with K-Lite Codec pack is a bit hit or miss. 

With VLC media player I get messages such as "Playback failure: VLC cannot set the DVD's title. It possibly cannot decrypt the entire disc." and "Your input can't be opened: VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///D:/'. Check the log for details." In media player classic I get "Media player classic DVD: Copy-protect fail".

I have reset the DRM security protocols using the process here: 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/how-do-you-manually-reset-the-drm-m...

Early on when I was trying to resolve this issue I was getting warnings about Graphics driver incompatibility with current DRM processes and so I have updated these from the Dell site and while the message does not appear I am still having problems. I also have tried to update CDROM firmware from the Dell site but the tool tells me the Dell recommended update is not compatible with my drive. This my be because my laptop had a drive replacement under Dell warranty and is possibly a different model to that recorded under the service tag.

The questions I have are therefore:

1. Is there any way of finding out the exact CD ROM model without taking the laptop apart, as the device manager information flags it as a generic HL-DT-STDVD+/-RW GA31N(S2)?

2. Is there any tool that will help me identify all the correct drivers for my laptop through a scan?

3. Are there any ideas about how I go about resolving the  issues, is it likely to be DRM, or Driver compatibility issues?

4. Any other thoughts?

Thanks

0 Kudos