PainElemental
1 Copper

Dell Studio 1745 - bad fan control

Hi all,

since 2 weeks I own a new Dell Studio 1745. The notebook is really good, except for one point:

The fan!

The fan starts up every 2-3 minutes even if there is no load at all!

I would expect the fan to run at a constant silent level and turn louder under load, but the current situation is that the fan is off and turns on every 2 minutes.

This is really annoying! Any chances to get a new bios with a better fan control?

Best Regards

Bernd

P.S.: my full spec:

Prozessor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P7450 (2.13GHz, 1066MHz, 3MB)
Arbeitsspeicher: 4.096 MB 1333 MHz Dual-Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2 x 2.048]
Grafikkarte: 1 GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
Festplatte: Zwei SATA-Festplatten mit 1 TB (7.200 1/min) (2x 500 GB)
Betriebssystem: Original Windows®7 HOME PREMIUM 64bit - Deutsch
Optisches Laufwerk: Fixed Internal DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive including Software
Wireless Networking: Intel WiFi Link 5100 (802.11 a/b/g/n 1X2) 1/2 MiniCard
Camera: Integrierte 2,0-Megapixel-Webkamera
Colour Choice: Mitternachtsblau mit Mikro-Satin-Oberfläche
LCD: 17.3” High Definition+ (1600x900) LED with TL

0 Kudos
16 Replies
delite74
1 Copper

Re: Dell Studio 1745 - bad fan control

Hi PainElemental,

I bought a new Dell studio 1745 one month ago and I have exactly the same FAN issue as yours:

The FAN is completely stopped (0 rpm) and kicks on like an hair-dryer or a vacuum cleaner for about 10s every 2-3 minutes under no load at all (proc. < 5%). When working a little bit (proc. +/- 20%), Fan kicks on and off 2 times per minute. I've never seen that before. It's very intrusive and disturbing and actually prevent you from working efficiently.

Usually, the fan should spin quitly and accelerate according to the processor load, like I see on other Latitude E6500 I have.

Dell support quickly changed the motherboard as well as the fan, but it did not solve the problem. I guess it is due to a buggy bios (bad thermal tables parameters). Unfortunatly, I do not have access to the 2nd level support nor to any escalation process. Hence, I don't know how to report the problem to Dell technical designers team. Therefore, I told the support that I will wait for the next A03 bios update and will call them back according to the Bios A03 behaviour.

Many other users already reported this problem on German, French and English forums.

I hope Dell will fix this issue as soon as possible because I just delayed further laptops I planned to buy until this problem is solved. Assuming this problem is fixed, this studio 1745 would be a great laptop.

Should you have any information, just let me know.

Specs:

Studio 1745, Intel P8700, GM45 chipset, RAM 4Go 1066 Mhz, GC ATI 4570, HD 500 Go 7200 rpm, Win 7 Pro x64, Bios A02.

Every last Dell driver installed / Windows updates ok / Firewall ok / no viruses.

0 Kudos
TheRealFireblad
5 Rhenium

Welcome to the forums both of you emoticon.Yes.title

You're right to be upset about the problem, but you might want to try I8kfan GUI to see if it works on your Studio laptops as well, and helps with the fan problems?

I8kfanGUI is a graphical Windows application to show the internal temperatures and to control the fan operation [on the Dell Inspiron/Latitude/Precision notebook series].

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
Integrated 2MP Webcam
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

0 Kudos
Morten Nilsson
1 Copper

Hey there

Really annoying problem this fan noise. Tryied to install I8kfan GUI on my Dell 1745 Windows 7 laptop without success. After 4-5 phone calls Dell tryied to change fans without getting this problem solved.

Helped a bit changing the settings in power suppy, like "Bernd" did-  LINK http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=450268 

Really hope Dell comes up with a solution really fast, this noise is driving me crazy :s

Morten

0 Kudos
Elpidio
2 Iron

Dell has posted a new BIOS A03 for the Studio 1745. I upgraded but it don't seem to address the fan cycling on and off even if the computer is idling. Dell needs to to do a better job.

0 Kudos
delite74
1 Copper

Hi Elpidio,

The same for me. I upgraded to A03 yesterday. It had no effect on the Fan control.

As this problem is also reported by many users on other studio 17 models (1749, 1747...)  and according to all the posts I read, I finally think that unfortunatly, this stupid fan management is due to a Dell Design choice rather than being a bug.

I buy Dell computers for my company, as well as for personal use since years but this time, I decided to stop buying this new line of product.

Keep an eye on the new Vostro or HP Probook...

0 Kudos
Elpidio
2 Iron

Thanks for the info. Been buying Dell's from the Inspiron 7500 and besides the XPS M1330's nVidia video burning up, no issues so far but this Studio 1745 fan cycling on and off for no reason is very annoying. I even have a Zalman NC 2000 laptop cooler at full speed and no help there. I also buy mines via our company account to get some discount but won't be buying anymore Dell for now till a better product shows up.

0 Kudos
brinan
1 Copper

On/off cycle even shorter for Inspiron 1564

(Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-330M Processor (3M Cache, 2.13 GHz, 2 cores, 4 threads) with 2,936MB memory).

About 30 seconds off, 60 seconds on.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
chimaira1967
1 Copper

yes my 1564 is exactly the same on every 2 minutes, but i have noticed one thing, and that is, it doesnt happen if im running on battery, on when its plugged in why is this

0 Kudos
whoa-albert
1 Copper

Same problem with Studio 1558. I've had mine for a week now. I don't think I can get used to it. I doubt Dell is going to fix this anytime soon either, so I'm probably going to return this laptop.

0 Kudos