Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 19th, 2009 08:00

Dell Studio XPS 13 Ethernet Controller not working after sleep wake-up

I'm a student, I constantly go on the campus wireless while in class, if I put the computer in sleep mode and then come back home and plug in the ethernet cable and wake the computer up, I can't get on the network, the lights on the ethernet port do not flash. This happens even if I wake up the computer before plugging in the ethernet cable.

Network and Sharing Center in Windows do not offer any solutions other than to plug in the cable, it does not offer to reset the hardware.

DevCon.exe is not able to reset the hardware, when running the command on the hardware ID of the nVidia network adapter, the following is output

"

devcon restart *DEV_0AB0*
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0AB0&SUBSYS_02711028&REV_B1\3&2411E6FE&0&50: Restart failed
No devices restarted.

"

This laptop is running with Vista Home Premium 64-bit the latest updates and drivers.

Please fix this or offer a solution as it is extremely annoying having to either shutdown or reboot all the time instead of using sleep mode.

11 Posts

October 25th, 2009 08:00

...you can add me to the list as well. i'm having the same Ethernet-does-not-wake-after-sleep-mode problem with Vista and Windows 7. thinking Windows 7 would solve my problem, i purchased a new hard-drive, installed Windows 7 Ultimate RTM, installed Dell's most recent drivers, and I had the same problem.  no love for my Ethernet connection after waking from sleep mode.  on 10/24, i spent 3.5 hours on the phone letting the Dell tech retrace all my troubleshooting steps before he arrived at the same conclusion.  he also suggested i reinstall Vista in an attempt to correct the issue. i reminded him that i had the same issue with a fresh install of Windows 7.  i really appreciated the tech's thoroughness, but I felt it was an inefficient use of time. maybe he was doing this to document (another problem instance) for the folks responsible for resolving the [Ethernet] problem. both he and his manager said they will escalate the problem and have the issue resolved within 2 days and that i should expect to have the solution by Tues, 10/27.   for now, I'm using hibernation mode because the Ethernet connection will work after resuming Windows from hibernation. needless to say, i'm disappointed that Dell hasn't done the right thing and "stepped up" to acknowledge the issue and confirm they're working on a solution.

11 Posts

October 27th, 2009 15:00

10/27 Update:  no software/BIOS solution from Dell.  they're sending a new motherboard and will follow up on 10/29 to determine if this fixed the issue. i'm hopeful that this will work because i truly DO NOT want a refurbed XPS replacement!!

11 Posts

October 29th, 2009 16:00

FINAL UPDATE:  appears my issue was due to a bad ethernet component on the motherboard.  a service tech installed a new motherboard and tested the ethernet connection after resuming from sleep and it worked!! GOOD NEWS FOR ME!!! +1 for Dell.

October 29th, 2009 17:00

So I got to send back my laptop to resolve this issue. Oh my god, I couldn't leave my laptop for even one day. Is there any alternative way to fix it?

11 Posts

October 29th, 2009 17:00

@nightspirit622 - don't know your situation, but as indicated in my previous posts, Dell shipped the replacement motherboard to Qualxserv (company who provides on-site technical service) who sent a tech to my house to install it.

84 Posts

November 1st, 2009 12:00

I had the same problem here.  Dell Inspiron 530 with Vista, worked fine. 

Upgraded to Windows 7. 

When the computer was awakened from sleep the ethernet light on my DSL modem would go out.  I would have to reboot the modem to connect to the internet.

Solved the problem today.  Disabled the integrated ethernet on my computer and installed the Linksys PCI card from my old Dell Dimension 4100. to my Dell 530.

John

4 Posts

November 2nd, 2009 09:00

John: It sounds like you are having a problem unrelated to the Studio XPS 13 systems we are talking about here. Try to stay on topic. If you'd like to discuss a problem with another system, you probably want to start a new topic. 

In other news, I just installed the latest 64bit Ethernet Controller driver(A02, released 10/14/2009) and I think it resolved this issue for me. Can anyone else confirm? 

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R238876&SystemID=STUDIOXPS13&servicetag=&os=WV64&osl=en&deviceid=17118&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=2&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=5&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&fileid=343676

11 Posts

November 2nd, 2009 09:00

(famous last words...) i was using the nVidia Ethernet Drivers Ver. 73.10.0 prior to replacement of my motherboard but that didin't resolve my not-working-after-sleep-mode problem. i'm still using the same driver now and my ethernet connection is working well after waking from sleep mode. now the bad news: since replacing the motherboard, the activity lights and keyboard back-light are flickering like a flashing Christmas tree.  i thought i'd receive a new motherboard, but later discovered that the replacement motherboard is a refurb.  Dell is sending another (refurbed) motherboard to [hopefully] correct the new problems.  ...*sigh*

11 Posts

November 2nd, 2009 10:00

prior to changing my motherboard, i modified the power management settings, 2 dell technicians modified the settings and it had no impact on my problem.  since changing my motherboard, i can place a check on the power management features and my ethernet connection will wake from sleep mode just fine.

9 Posts

I'm also running the latest 73.10 A2 drivers, and it doesnt behave any different! I've contactet dell support and they had me running diagnostics on my system (mind you there isn't a specific test for the network adapter, it only tests that the adapter is reachable, so pretty much useless) but they are convinced that i must be a software problem, and they want me to do a full restore of my system, or contact Microsoft *SIGH*! So tomorrow I'l try installing vista on a clean drive, an might also try installing Ubuntu and see how the adapter acts under Linux!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Did anyone try...

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager). Click on Network and then right click on your ethernet adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

6 Posts

@Pudgy,

yes, tried that as my very first step, that's like Level 0.5 Tech Support solution...  I've actually tried several other levels of power management settings as well, trying to forbid the computer to do anything to the Ethernet port.  Changes nothing.

Dell has now committed to exchanging my motherboard and we'll see if I can verify if that corrects the issue. I will let this thread know...

November 3rd, 2009 11:00

that does not fix it, it fixes another issue that exists i've already experienced. disabling and re-enabling my ethernet is a habit now.

11 Posts

my understanding is that hibernate works because hibernate is similar to power off/on.  the fix (based on my experience) is to replace the motherboard. all the power management, sleep, hibernate, low power state features, etc. related to the Ethernet connection should then work as advertised. they did for me.

4 Posts

A workaround that worked for me was this: 

1. Go into Network Connections
  2. Disable the Ethernet
  3. Enable the Ethernet
  4. Should start working as usual

Not a big deal. But a stupid hassle. 

No Events found!