Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2009 13:00

Dell Studio XPS 13 - Order delayed by over a month

I placed an order for a Dell Studio XPS 13 on June 18 2009. At that time the estimated delivery date was July 1 2009. Since then, every week my estimated delivery date has been going up by a week. Currently it is Aug 4, 2009. I have called Dell customer support every time they updated the est. delivery date and have got the same response. "....very popular model, huge demand, slow production..". Out of curiosity, I have been checking the configuration of the same laptop (Studio XPS 13) currently on Dell website and there is no indication of such a delay (same 2 week build time). I asked the customer service rep if there was a particular part of the laptop that was back ordered, but he insisted that was not the case and that it was a production delay. So in that case, either he was lying or Dell is not being honest with current estimated delivery times on their website, since if orders placed 2 months ago are still under production, how are they going to fulfill an order placed today and deliver it in 2 weeks.

I was also wondering if any other customers have encountered such a problem. I am a frequent shopper at Dell.com and this is the first time I am facing such issues...pretty disappointed.

P.S: My gut instinct is that there is a back order in the 128 GB SSD, since they do not have that option on Studio XPS 13 anymore and they do not want to admit it since they might be forced to upgrade consumers to a 256 GB SSD option. I am willing to bet on another update next week telling me  that the order has been delayed again.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 22nd, 2009 13:00

Could be anything - bear in mind that Dell now builds for retailers (Best Buy, Staples, etc.) and if an order for 100,000 systems comes in, it may bump others to lower down the line.

All you can do is call and ask.

1 Message

July 23rd, 2009 19:00

Yea same here...i ordered it on June 11th and it was delay 3 times all the way to july 30th....i cancelled it cause i got tired of it being delayd...i had the same configuration.  I had the 128 SSD.  I decided to re-order it, but this time with a 256 SSD.  I hope it comes sooner this time.

2 Posts

July 24th, 2009 10:00

I canceled my order as well.But I decided I am going to wait it out before buying the new laptop. I changed my mind after reading a number of complaints about some hardware and software issues on the XPS studio 13.Dell still seems to be working on getting the BIOS right for this system. There is a big post on this forum in this community about these issues.

I currently have the Inspiron 700m thats nearly 6 years old and still works well. At that time I spent a fortune on it and remain satisfied with the purchase since I never had any issues at all with it and I want similar quality with the new one I buy if I spend 2000 buks for it.  if and when you do get our laptop, I would love to hear what you opinions on it are.

4 Posts

December 31st, 2009 09:00

Hello,

Well, it seems that Dell learned something – At least Dell in Europe.

I ordered a Studio XPS 13 on 7th of December (and without any SSD) and on the home page the original deliver was for 23rd of December. Surprisely one week after Dell home page showed ‘delivered’ status. Within 24h I would receive an e-mail from UPS with the deliver date and time.

However today I still waiting for it. UPS states that the pick-up order is there but actually Dell put the order before the real package – thus there is no good to deliver. Dell phone support does no know what is missing since it shows delivered, while e-mail answer is up to now (after 4 e-mails) completely ignored.  Yes, Dell feedback is getting certainly bad.

So, for Dell the computer was delivered, for UPS there is nothing to be delivered.

Conclusion – following Dell contract the order cannot be cancelled (as it was delivered) and I cannot return the goods since I do not have them.

If this a new way to deal with productions delays (to pretend that the good was delivered) it is new for me. And also quite dangerous since it let the customer in a difficult situation as it has to go alone against Dell/UPS. The lack of Dell feedback only make things worst.

4 Posts

January 16th, 2010 10:00

Sorry, it has a 128Mb GeForce 9400M G

4 Posts

January 16th, 2010 10:00

Update

Ordered on 7th of December 2009. A ‘pseudo delivery’ from Dell on 16th of December 2009 but effectively received only on 14th of January 2010.

_And with the wrong video card (ordered 512Mb GeForce 210M but instead the machine has a 128Mb GeForce 9500M…)!!!

No Events found!