Re: Dell Studio XPS 16 turns itself on and off at random

AwesomeD, I have tried the edit: solution of turning off the auto-timers. And it works for me Smiley Happy hadn't have had a problem with hibernate or standby/sleep. I am content after trying that solution. It works. Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Hook81
Copper

Hi,
guys, I had the same problem with my studio xsp 1340, it even turned on from shutdown status. The technical support couldn't fix it; but they replace it for me. but the scary thing is after two weeks using the new laptop I woke up two times this week and my laptop was ON again. now I did the posted solution and I will wait to see the result.    

0 Kudos
copterpad
Copper

I have a new XPS 1340 that is doing this in the shut down mode. I just tried your suggestion of disabling the allow wake timers.  If it works, you are my hero!  Thanks!

0 Kudos

Unfortunately, this did not work for me!  If there are any other solutions or ideas floating around, I would love to hear them.

0 Kudos

The edit: solution about disabling the wake up timers is the solution to this problem, I know this cause I performed the solution back in Dec 09 and I haven't had any problem with it whatsoever. 

My guess is that you did change the setting disabling the timers but only for a certain power plan that you are not using.

when you access the control panel go to power options, there should be only one plan with the radio button highlighted, then to the right of that button you can CHANGE PLAN SETTINGS. Then choose Change Advance Power Settings. 

then expand the sleep, then the allow wake timers, and disable the wake timers for both on battery and while plugged in. 

I think the reason your having the problem still is because you are not using the power plan that you altered and instead using a power plan that comes standard with the computer. I suggest you Create a power plan so that it is not overwritten by other programs.

If it still doesn't work, please reply. 

A question, you might want to ask yourself is, what programs have you installed lately that changes the power settings? (i.e. dvd player programs, new video cards/software)

0 Kudos

I think you're right - I had failed to change the settings for all of the power plans that were programmed.  I went ahead and did it, and hopefully I won't be woken up tonight!  I appreciate your helpful comments.

0 Kudos
LXC
Copper

I have the same problem except my computer turns on at about 1:55 AM every night even if I have done a full shutdown.  I'll be interested to see if your solution helps

0 Kudos

Hi LXC,

There might be settings in BIOS that can be disabled to get rid of this problem. To access BIOS, you may press F2 on Dell logo. Please share the exact system model and the operating system so that I can look into this issue further.

Thanks & Regards,
Appu S
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell’s Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Orders & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA, India. For Dell Support Videos, click Here.

PMPP
Copper

RE: Dell Studio XPS 16 turns itself on and off at random

I had it in the past, then after a BIOS update it went away, and now I just got a BIOS update 2 days ago and the problem is back...

The problem seems to have been identified in the past by DELL as a BIOS issue, and now is back... Smiley Sad

Taking my laptop from the bag because a burning smell is coming out of it was not a pleasant experience.

In my case it turns itself on pretty much 5 seconds after I shutdown, or put it to sleep.

0 Kudos