Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 4th, 2016 19:00

Dell System Detect (cannot start application)

I have had DSD on my laptop in the past. Recently I tried to use it and got the message "Cannot start application - application cannot be started. Contact the application vendor."  I noticed that it was  still in programs list and I tried to uninstall it, but nothing happened when I tried to uninstall it... nothing; like it was a ghost.

I have gone through the files on my computer and I couldn't find any files related to DSD. I also found out it is somehow on my automatic start up programs list even though it has no apparent files.

So I tried to reinstall DSD and while trying to install, I received the message "Cannot start application - application cannot be started. Contact the application vendor."

I highlighted what I think to be the culprit; Any suggested actions?

Details -

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
 Windows    : 6.1.7601.65536 (Win32NT)
 Common Language Runtime  : 4.0.30319.42000
 System.Deployment.dll   : 4.6.1055.0 built by: NETFXREL2
 clr.dll    : 4.6.1076.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
 dfdll.dll    : 4.6.1055.0 built by: NETFXREL2
 dfshim.dll    : 4.0.41209.0 (Main.041209-0000)

SOURCES
 Deployment url   : downloads.dell.com/.../dellsystemdetectlauncher.application
      Server  : Microsoft-IIS/8.5
      X-Powered-By : ASP.NET
 Deployment Provider url  : downloads.dell.com/.../dellsystemdetect.application
 Application url   : downloads.dell.com/.../DellSystemDetect.exe.manifest

IDENTITIES
 Deployment Identity  : DellSystemDetect.application, Version=7.11.0.6, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6d0a76327dca4869, processorArchitecture=msil
 Application Identity  : DellSystemDetect.exe, Version=7.11.0.6, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6d0a76327dca4869, processorArchitecture=msil, type=win32

APPLICATION SUMMARY
 * Installable application.
 * Trust url parameter is set.
ERROR SUMMARY
 Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
 * Activation of downloads.dell.com/.../dellsystemdetectlauncher.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
  + The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
 No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
 There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
 * [2016-11-05 11:28:38] : Activation of downloads.dell.com/.../dellsystemdetectlauncher.application has started.
 * [2016-11-05 11:28:39] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
 * [2016-11-05 11:28:39] : Installation of the application has started.
 * [2016-11-05 11:28:39] : Processing of application manifest has successfully completed.
 * [2016-11-05 11:28:41] : Found compatible runtime version 2.0.50727.

ERROR DETAILS
 Following errors were detected during this operation.
 * [2016-11-05 11:28:43] System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
  - The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1)
  - Source: System.Deployment
  - Stack trace:
   at System.Deployment.Application.NativeMethods.IClrRuntimeInfo.GetProcAddress(String procName)
   at System.Deployment.Application.NativeMethods.GetAssemblyCacheInterface(String CLRVersionString, Boolean FetchRuntimeHost, CCorRuntimeHost& RuntimeHost)
   at System.Deployment.Application.PlatformDetector.VerifyPlatformDependencies(AssemblyManifest appManifest, AssemblyManifest deployManifest, String tempDir)
   at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
   at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
   at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
   at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
 No transaction information is available.

64 Posts

November 6th, 2016 07:00

I had the same problem .What I found out is my Nortons Security flagged the exe file as a security risk and removed the exe file to quarantine.I had to go into Norton  firewall to allow the system detect.The exe file is still in quarantine but my system still gets detected on the driver page since allowing the program through the firewall.What is interesting is it was not flagged until I updated system detect to the latest version.The system detect file that I allowed through the Norton firewall still has a big red X setting it as dangerous..Dell needs to fix their program to get it to play nice with security suites.Hope this helps .

532 Posts

November 5th, 2016 08:00

Hi,

We’re listening. We’d suggest you to delete the following and check the outcome.

ð  Apps\2.0 folder, once deleted reinstall the same again

ð  Path: C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\

November 6th, 2016 02:00

Thank you for the reply. I have done what you recommended, however the outcome remains unchanged.  

Immediately after I click the "install" button I got the message "Cannot start application - application cannot be started. Contact the application vendor." The details are of the error are the exact same.

Do you have any other suggestions?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 6th, 2016 09:00

" Dell needs to fix their program to get it to play nice with security suites.Hope this helps " .

:emotion-2:

Dell has nothing to do with the security suites. Norton and McAfee are very good Anti-virus software but both of them will block most of the programs you're trying to install. Furthermore, their components are over the place, including in your startup(booting up computer). Personally, I rather use windows defender by Microsoft than Norton/ McAfee. Anyway, I glad you provided a solution for others to see.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

After you downloaded CCleaner then click on " Tools".....

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

" noticed that it was still in programs list and I tried to uninstall it, but nothing happened when I tried to uninstall it"

:emotion-2:

I'd suggest you download the free version of CCleaner and then uninstall the program. CCleaner will force the unnecessary program you want to uninstall.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

64 Posts

September 21st, 2017 20:00

I ended up uninstaling Norton and just using defender I reinstalled all the dell updaters but .I still had problems with dell programs.Windows 10 started blocking them I guess cause they couldnt run correctly..So I have uninstalled all Dell stuff and just look for updated drivers myself..Actually my system is running much smoother to tell the truth..It is not hard to download and install the drivers myself..And I should have said Nortons doesn't play well with others either..  :)

64 Posts

November 28th, 2017 21:00

Hehe I did reinstall Dell programs  but now  with the FCU windows upgrade Defenders controlled folder access doesn't like programs running either. .Lol  ya can't win. I tried to update my intel graphics driver and it blocked an exe intel driver from making modifications to protected folders. So  until Microsoft fixes controlled folder access so it is easier to whitelist programs, I have turned it off. I also once again uninstalled  the newer release of Dell system Detect   because it was still producing the very same error. So  once again I just manually check for drivers which is OK. The less errors a system produces the better it runs.

No Events found!