Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 7th, 2015 15:00

Dell Touchpad gestures not working on Dell Inspiron 5558

Hello, I have a brand new Dell Inspiron 5558 with Windows 8.1 64b installed. I can't use touchpad gestures, no scroll, no pinch to zoom, etc. I have installed the latest drivers from here but after install (which says it is succesfull) nothing is showing up in my taskbar or control panel or program files. 

4 Posts

September 8th, 2015 11:00

I found the fix here. Install Synaptics 19.15.2 Windows 10 64 Bit  even tough you have Windows 8.1.

Install like this:

1) Extract the files to another folder

2) Open the folder with extracted files copy the path of the x64 drivers

3) Go to Control Panel>Device Manager>Mice and other pointing devices

4) Right click mice and other pointing devices, select Update Driver>From Hard-Disk

5) Add the x64 drivers path

6) Select Dell Touchpad

7)  Install drivers

8) Restart

Video can be found here: www.youtube.com/watch

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 7th, 2015 21:00

Hi,

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5558 system are shipped with a button-less Precision Touchpad. Operating System handles the overall functionality of the touchpad and there are no separate drivers available for download. Please follow the instruction for the gestures.

4 Posts

September 8th, 2015 01:00

Hello, Ravi.

I've tried the gestures but only the first two work. The problem is I can't slide to scroll, pinch to zoom, or any other swipe. When I've firstly installed windows it worked for a few minutes but that was it, it's not working anymore. Do you have any other solution? 

9 Posts

September 8th, 2015 08:00

Hi, 

Well i have the exact same problem as Mark. The thing is that Windows installs a generic driver, which only recognizes the basic gestures (first two). For the rest we need a driver for the touchpad (guess from Synaptics) to handle the gestures. There are drivers for Windows 7, but not for 8 or 10... And it's a shame because it's a 2015 laptop.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 8th, 2015 09:00

9 Posts

September 8th, 2015 10:00

Hi, could you share with us what was the solution to the problem ?

1 Message

November 9th, 2015 14:00

Worked for me! Thank you very much! 

8 Posts

November 23rd, 2015 07:00

I have done these steps twice. The driver shows up in device manager and in control panel > mouse settings. I customize my settings and when I close the Dell touchpad UI, the settings revert back to default. Any thoughts?

1 Message

December 31st, 2015 07:00

firstly get the generic driver from synaptics

then go to device manager and go to the ps2 mouse and uninstall previous driver

1) Extract the files to another folder

2) Open the folder with extracted files copy the path of the x64 drivers

3) Go to Control PanelDevice ManagerMice and other pointing devices

4) Right click mice and other pointing devices, select Update Driver

browse the computer

then select HAVE DISK VERY IMPORTANT

5) Add the x64 drivers path

6) Select Dell Touchpad or synaptics

7)  Install drivers

8) Restart

-------------------------------------------------------------------

but it probably wont work so

so see here    forum.notebookreview.com/.../page-2

and here   answers.microsoft.com/.../ca01bc04-0db7-4241-bff9-192cfb5af012;auth=1

So what you need to do is:

1. Disable PTP drivers

2. Install generic drivers (force way)

1. Disabling PTP drivers:

Go to device manager and locate "Human interface devices" node (node means the little arrow which expands). Locate "HID-compliant touch pad" item and disable it. (To make sure, you may open device properties and on Details tab, in the dropdown go to Hardware IDs property will have this line HID_DEVICE_UP:000D_U:0005 - this is how TPT reports itself).  (with mine i had a 4 instead of a 5

Now, in the same node, disable "I2C HID Device" item.

Done. PTP is dead.

the mouse wont work so use touchscreen

(i cant remember if i did a reboot here or not)

2. Installing generic Synaptics drivers:

Download generic Synaptics driver here: synaptics.com/.../drivers.php

In device manager, go to "Mice and other pointing devices" node and locate your touchpad disguised as "PS/2 mouse". Select "Update driver" from context menu and make it hard way: "Browse my PC" - "Let me pick it myself" - "Have disk" - point to folder where you have unpacked downloaded driver into (x64 subfolder, to be precise). Windows will say that driver is not compatible. That's a lie. Press Yes. Reboot. You're on generic driver now. Scroll and 2/3/4-finger gestures are at your disposal.

During phase #2 Windows may complain about missing digital signature at driver's package (Synaptics' fault). There are 2 ways to circumvent it:

1. Disable driver signature enforcement (just google this whole phrase). This is easy but potentially creates security risk as from now any unsigned driver can be installed to the system.

2. Sign it with a valid certificate if you have one (also requires installed WDK).

I did mine by signing .inf file with my company's certificate, but I'm not sure if I can redistribute it.

From my experience, precision of generic driver is inferior to PTP, but it's free of PTP bugs and offers all extended features Synaptics has to offer. Or maybe it just requires tweaking (it has so many parameters).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now for chirascroll  do this

Requires use of regedit

Navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTPCpl\Controls\03TabScroll\ 4OneFEdgeScrollChiralInfoText\  and inside the other window there will be a key called visibility

also do this for    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTPCpl\Controls\03TabScroll\ 4OneFEdgeScrollChiralCheckBox\  and inside the other window there will be a key called visibility

Find the items and

Change the Visibility key of both from 4 to 0

Open the Synaptics control panel, go to scroll tab, it will have appeared

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

finally mess around with

If you want to tweak the settings for the three mouse-speed settings (MouseSpeed, MouseThreshold1, and MouseThreshold2), launch the registry editor and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse\.

Along with a few other settings, you'll see the three mouse-speed values in the right panel. Mouse-Speed is a multiplier that is set from 0 (always run at the basic speed) to 2 (multiply the calculated speed by 4). MouseThreshold1 indicates the number of pixels you must move the mouse between interrupts to automatically double the basic speed (unless MouseSpeed is not set to 0). By default, MouseThreshold1 ranges from 0 (do not introduce speed-doubling) to 10 pixels, but you can set its value to higher than 10 if you like. Setting the value closer to 1 makes Windows introduce speed-doubling sooner, which causes your pointer to pick up speed.

The last of the three pointer values, MouseThreshold2, behaves like MouseThreshold1 except that it causes Windows to again double the mouse's speed.

but i am not sure if it makes a difference

i have tested it and i dont think it makes any difference

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUT here is what i did and it does work!

i downloaded a program called regshot  which is free and it compares the registry before you make a change and after you make a change  (there are probably other programs as well but i found this the simplest of the lot)

i then changed the mouse speed in the synaptics driver.  i then used the reg compare and it directed me to a folder in the registry   hkey current usere/software/synaptics/syntp/touchpadps2tm3014/pointermotionspeed

edit the speed to a higher number such as 300 instead of 190

i could not find this in the default windows program called regedit but i downloaded a program called registrar registry manager  which shows a lot more than regedit and you can edit it there

you can use this method to find the appropriate registry key to edit for whatever you wish

i am no computer expert and accept no responsibility for these methods but hope you have  enjoyed hacking and credit to the forums which got me this far

regards

8 Posts

January 4th, 2016 11:00

Nice piece of tweaking / geeking work. Any guidance on getting the 'palmcheck' to work? Or tweak those settings?

1 Message

March 22nd, 2016 22:00

Dear Alex431, could you tell me, where I can find the driver, what you mentioned (synaptic 19.15.2)?

17 Posts

June 29th, 2016 06:00

Hi Ravi I See something creep on the new button-less Precision Touchpad  i had the dell inspiron 5558 the first model no the one has the backlight keyboard or 1920x1080 screen but isee this creep

in windows 10 windows 8 (or 8.1) and ubuntu and even in the uefi/legacy(bios) Settings 

last time ihave update my bios to A10 and still has the problem excpect in windows 7 

the touchpad when you move up or down or right or left by the edge the mouse move faster 

example: in windows 10 when you move to right  by the edge  the mouse moves fasterrrrr to the right and stop when the mouse goes to the edge of the screen 

but in windows 7 when you move to left by the edge the mouse moves but stop at the location you want to make the mouse move to it i dont know the problem from me or from you or from synapitcs isee asus touchpad and i didnt see the thing 

why i am stay on windows 7 (the best stable os for ever)

No Events found!