Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 12th, 2017 11:00

Dell Updates crashed my XPS 15

As per the subject really. Hadn't used the laptop for a week or so, then last time I used it I was prompted to install 3 Dell Updates. Tried to use for first time post-updates today and it gets past the Dell logo then hangs on a black screen with a white circle going round and round. I can  see a cursor and that's it.

Have tried the Dell diagnostic start up tests which didn't show any errors. I can get into the Bios menu and Windows recovery options but not being particularly tech savvy I'm scared to change too much in there.

Any tips on how to fix greatly appreciated. Has anyone else had this issue?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 12th, 2017 12:00

If you're able to get into the windows recovery options again, I suggest you run System Restore in the Advanced options. System restore will go back to an earlier time before the 3 updates are installed. Please follow steps below:

Windows Recovery options:

1. Advanced Repair Options or Advanced Options

2. Troubleshoot

3. Advanced options 

4. System Restore

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

10 Posts

August 12th, 2017 17:00

Thank you so much, I am now back up and running again having completed the system restore.

10 Posts

August 12th, 2017 17:00

Thanks you so much, this has done the trick and I am up and running again.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 13th, 2017 08:00

:emotion-2:

Glad to know the computer is fix now. Thanks for the update.

10 Posts

September 4th, 2017 09:00

Just as an update to this, the Dell update flashed up again the other day and asked me to install and without thinking I clicked OK ... cue same problems as before. I have now rolled back to the restore point as per the above replies. 

Anyway, the suggested updates are below - does anyone have any idea which of them is causing the problem?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

September 4th, 2017 10:00

I'm taking a guess here......

The BIOS version appears to be very old therefore causing either the chipset (Realtek Memory Card) or Support Assist to crash the computer. Please type msinfo32 onto the [Cortana] search box, stroll down to BIOS Version / Date and then check for correct BIOS version on the system. The latest BIOS version for your system( XPS 9550) is 1.3.0, 1.3.0

Support for XPS 15 9550 | Drivers & downloads | Dell US

10 Posts

Thanks. Had a stroll down and my BIOS version is Dell Inc. 1.2.21, 17/02/2017.

Do you think I should go ahead and update the BIOS then?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

If I am correct about BIOS version being old then I suggest you don't update latest BIOS version from your Dell Product Support page yet. I don't know why Dell update is reporting BIOS version 1.2.25 to be installed whereas there isn't the version listed on the support page, see image above).  

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

September 4th, 2017 11:00

I did a quick search on BIOS version 1.2.25 and find that version cause a lot of problems for XPS 9550. I suspect Dell took that BIOS version from the support page for that very reason. Please check out one of the threads I've search in the link below:

Dell XPS 9550 - BIOS Update 1.2.25 - General Hardware ... 

10 Posts

September 4th, 2017 11:00

OK that sounds like it may be the issue then, I won't be upgrading to 1.2.25. I guess there's some glitch in the updater that is still linking to it somehow.

I'll go for the 1.3.0 from the link above instead. Many thanks for looking into this for me - appreciate it.

10 Posts

October 19th, 2017 03:00

This has happened again and restoring to my only available able restore point is no longer fixing it. I didn't actively click to allow any Dell Updates but I did leave the machine on for a while the other day and I'm wondering if it automatically did the Dell update then. Any ideas anyone?

As per my original post it gets to the Dell logo screen then it hangs on a black page with a circle going round and round and a cursor.

Any ideas anyone?

10 Posts

October 19th, 2017 14:00

Update: I've reinstalled Windows using the system reset and currently working ok. Sadly still have no idea which update caused the issue so don't know how to avoid it happening again but at least for now I have a functioning laptop.

Windows looks weird post-update. I now have Cortana which I didn't before and none of my newly installed programmes are showing on the Start menu. Anyone know how I fix that?

No Events found!