x-zen
1 Nickel

Dell Video Stage - poor video quality and no sound issues

I've recently bought a new Inspiron 15R SE (7520 base) laptop.

I experience poor quality pictures (hitching motion, juddering) and no sound when playing HD movies using Dell Video Stage software.

I thought that the problem is related to the movie itself (that was a .mkv movie), but when I used Media Player Classic - Home Cinema instead the problems disappeared (nice smooth motion with sound).

The question is what can make such a big difference between those two players? 

I verified (with external diagnostic tool) that both players actually used the discrete AMD 7730M GPU (not the integrated Intel HD 4000). 

As far as I know the AMD 7730M is equipped with hardware codecs MPEG-4 (H.264) and VC-1 (that's all what I need for my movies), so - do I still need any other software codecs being installed on my laptop? Even though - which of them is then being used by the player? Both players support mkv format.

I would appreciate if someone would explain what are mechanisms behind playing movies. What components are responsible for playing movies in Windows? What may cause different quality results for different players?

What are best settings for my laptop (both AMD GPU and Dell Video Stage) to achieve best quality picture for HD movies. I do not understand what the Dell Video Stage "True Theater" options do. What are the best settings to take most of the laptop AMD GPU? There were some settings which caused a crash of Dell Video Stage when it was switched to full screen.

(I do not use Cyberlink PowerDVD as it does not activate AMD GPU at all and it also gives poor quality results - it was discussed in another thread of that forum, so I would not like to start it again)

I connected my laptop via HDMI port to HD TV and I changed the graphic card frequency to to the movie's fps(24Hz =24 fps). It still improved the quality when MPC-HC was used, but Dell Video Stage always gave poor results.

What other video players would you recommend to achieve good quality picture of a HD movie on external large display.

Thanks for advise.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
x-zen
1 Nickel

Re: Dell Video Stage - poor video quality and no sound issues

Did anyone read my post?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
seemamishra26
1 Copper

Re: Dell Video Stage - poor video quality and no sound issues

I have also recently bought a Dell Inspiron laptop N5050, but sorry to say the sound is very poor, specially while playing music, the sound can hardly be heard and there is no stereo effect. Even on Skype the volume is very low. Speaker output is very poor.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos