Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

November 22nd, 2008 07:00

Dell Vostro 1400 with NVIDIA GPU Failed

Hi all.

Yesterday when i turn on my laptop i jst seen vertical colored lines. And i tried to restart the system couple of times, but i only see those lines. Then i searched for this problem online and came to know that it's a problem with faulty video card of NVIDIA 8400m gs. After searching for the resolution i came to know through this link http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2008/09/12/nvidia-gpu-update-limited-warranty-enhancement-details.aspx?PageIndex=2 that Dell had extended 12 mon warrenty for video cards. I bought my system in aug 2007 with limited 1 year warrenty and my i am out of warrenty. I tired to called the customer care but they were not aware of this and said you need to pay for the replacement. Can someone who had the same kind of issue, help me if the resolved it. Also please post some screenshots or links to those resolution so that i can explain and ask them to replace my Motherboard for free. Thanks

5 Posts

November 24th, 2008 14:00

Hello,

Were you able to resolve this issue ? I have the same issue occur on my Vostro1400 and the dell techical support personal is unaware of this resolution process.

Thanks

Amit

3 Posts

November 24th, 2008 16:00

Hi Amit,

I too don't know how to resolve this issue..That's y i posted it over hear for some help..Let wait untill someone help with it..

11 Posts

November 30th, 2008 11:00

Hi - I had an identical issue with my XPS1330 which as I was still under warranty had the motherboard replaced last week. I too have seen the info regarding dell are supposed to be extending the cover for these failures, as they are (allegedly) due to a batch of faulty Nvidia chips.  From the posts I have seen on websites worldwide, this must have bee a pretty large batch............

4.6K Posts

December 1st, 2008 11:00

Unfortunately, the warranty extension would appear to cover the following systems only:

Precision: M2300, M4300, and M65.
Latitude: D630, D630c, D820, and D830.
Vostro Notebook: 1310, 1400, 1510, and 1710.
XPS M1330 and M1530.

The blog writer (Dell's chief blogger ) goes on to say:  "If your system is not listed in the table above, you do not need to do anything." ????

So what do you do if you own a system which isn't listed, but you're having problems with one of the affected Nvidia graphics cards (G84 and G86)?

He suggests - and I quote:

If your system contains an NVIDIA graphics solution AND it is experiencing one or more of the following symptoms, please contact Dell Technical Support for troubleshooting:

• Intermittent video issues
  • Multiple images
  • Random characters on the screen
  • Lines on the screen
  • No video

Customers in the United States can use phone numbers on this page to contact Dell Technical Support.

Here’s the process for customers outside the United States:

• Go to support.dell.com
  • At the very bottom of the page, select your country in the Choose a Country/Region field
  • Choose Contact Us on the left hand side
  • Click on the More Details link in the Contact Tech Support section
  • Click on the green Telephone button under the Call Tech Support section

So tech support in all countries should be well aware of the problem?

What they're prepared to do about it however, is another matter entirely :emotion-55:

70 Posts

December 1st, 2008 15:00

Use the "unresolved issues" link on the bottom of the Dell front page.. This connects you to what seem to be clueful people, who also seem to be able to make things happen and more importantly, if you talk to one of them on the phone, YOU CAN ACTUALLY UNDERSTAND THEM!! .. I had an issue with a GX620 motherboard, in warantee, where the tier one support droids kept trying to tell me the problem I was seeing was a Windows misconfiguration.. Since I support a flock of GX280/620/745/755 systems at work, and have been doing pc support for over 15 years, I guess I know whats needed to be done to narrow down where the fault is on a given failure.. I told the droid that I'd already tried a clean install of Windows (on a diff drive), with the same problem being seen.. He wanted me to do it again.. Even after I told him it could NOT be Windows, as I had seen the same problem on the system when I put a drive containing Ubuntu Linux on the system.. I got tired of playing games with the droid, so I took the case # he gave me and submitted it to the above "unresolved issues" link. Next day I get a nice email from someone in the escalation group telling me he's setting me up for a replacement motherboard... No muss/no fuss... I would strongly suspect they are fully aware of the Nvidia warantee extension...Since this is a now-known faulty part, Dell *should* replace your motherboard under this warantee.. IF for some reason they refuse, PLEASE POST THAT INFO BACK HERE, as I (and I'm betting MANY other Vostro 1400 owners) will want to know how Dell handles this Nvidia fiasco for a system like yours.. My 1400 was bought in Feb 08, and has regular warantee until Feb 09, and according to Dell, extended coverage on video issues until Feb 10... I'd like to know if they will extend that beyond 1 yr since its obviously a defective component they used in manufacturing...

Dave

1 Message

December 3rd, 2008 08:00

Hi, I am having the same issue on my Vostro 1400 with Nvidia 8500GS. My warranty expired on Oct-08.

I used the same technique to know that it was a h/w issue. I was getting the white lines intermittently, and I checked on Ubuntu, and even there I got the problem. Finally I was able to reproduce it even in the BIOS. And the dell rep. was insisting that it was a graphics driver /windows problem. Finally he said that I will have to replace the m/board as the gpu chip is on it.

Now, I see that many others are facing the same issue. Has anyone got a replacement out-of-warranty as yet?

5 Posts

December 18th, 2008 07:00

I made 2 attempts to talk to dell support reps to explain my problem and find a solution. None on the phone understood the problem, were aware of this issue (one even said, he could not get to the link) and offered no support with paying an upfront fee for out-of-warranty diagnostics. Since I was sure that my issue was related to the nvidia gpu , I refused to pay any diagnostic fees.

Finally, realizing it was of no use talking to the reps on phone, I submitted an email via 'unresolved' issues link. In 24 hours I was contacted by a person who introduced himself as a manager at the Resolution Expert Center. A couple of email exchanges later, he agreed to have the problem resolved under warranty and set up return to depot repair shipment via FedEx.

Will update here again, once I get the laptop back.

1 Message

January 2nd, 2009 16:00

Hey everyone,

Like the rest of you I've had the same problem with my Vostro 1400. I purchased it in August 2007 and my 1 year warranty expired in August 2008

My problem began when I was using my laptop and it would freeze, only to recover 10 seconds later with a message saying that the "display driver has stopped working". This happened a few more times, and eventually I got the "blue screen of death". Later on, I would also get a whole screen of colors and now, my laptop turns on, but I cannot see anything but black and vertical lines. I, like someone else has posted, also knows it turns on because I can still hear the Windows startup tune.

I called Dell Tech Support today to ask about replacing my video card through the extended 12 months warranty because that seems to be the case with the other people on this thread. I talked to some lady who was "unaware" of the issue I explained, yet she said others had called in with the same problem. She wanted me to BUY an extended warranty for $49 so that they could resolve the issue, but I refused
. She then transfered me over to the Hardware Dept where I talked to a lady who also said she was unaware of the extended warranty and was willing to ship to me a new NVIDEA 8400 for $39.99 (w/o shipping, +shipping she said was ~$50). I refused once again, and she transfered me over to customer care where I was on hold for 45 minutes. It was then where I drew the line and decided to just email the "unresolved issues" people, but I wanted to post my "adventures" with the dell community to let everyone know in case you were in the same situation.

I shall post back when I get a response from Dell (hopefully within 24 hours), thanks.

****EDIT: I just spoke to someone else from Dell tech support and he was able to help me out! I told him my problem and told him about what i read from the forums and he told me to link him. He gave me a site called www.tinyurl.com and i sent him the url for this thread and within 10 minutes, he was able to approve my claim. I was told I would be receiving a box for me to ship my laptop to dell for them to fit me for a new video card. After they receive my laptop, it would take 10-12 days max for them to get it back to me. THANK YOU ERIC FROM THE PHILIPPINES!

5 Posts

January 5th, 2009 18:00

Hello all,

This is follow-up to my post dated 11/24. I received my laptop back today and it seems to work perfectly fine. The repair slip said the motherboard was replaced. It took about 10-12 business days for Dell to ship it back. If anyone needs more information, let me know.

Based on my experience, I'd suggest everyone facing this problem to first call the tech support and get a case number generated. If the guys on the phone seem oblivious to the issue, just hang up and write your case to 'unresolved issues'. The guys there seem to readily understand the issue and are very prompt in responding back.

Thanks.

2 Posts

February 27th, 2009 15:00

Did you have nvidia in your laptop? I am having the same problems, but they dont want to help me because m computer as an integrated graphic card.

5 Posts

March 1st, 2009 13:00

yes, i had (and still have) an nvidia graphics card.

3 Posts

March 10th, 2009 22:00

Hi My Dell Vostro 1400 also seems to have the same problem. I can see multiple images during boot up from the beginning. So, i guess the problem is with my display card NVIDIA. My warranty ends on Aug 2008 but looking at these links seems that the warrnaty for NVIDIA card has been extended for one more year so hopefully dell will repair my computer. Can you suggest me the phone number to call in to get the case number for this problem so that i can register it in the "Unresolved issues" as you suggested.

Hope to get your reply soon.

Thanks

3 Posts

March 10th, 2009 22:00

Hi

My Dell Vostro 1400 seems to have the same problem. There seems the multiple images right from the beginning during the boot up. My computer has got NVIDIA graphics card. My warranty ends on Aug 2008 but looking at these posts, it seems like there is an extended warranty of one year for the NVIDIA graphics card. Please let me know the number to call in to get the case number so that i can register it in the "Unresolved issues". HOpefully Dell will resolve my computer problem.

Hope to get the reply soon.

Thanks

Sh.res

5 Posts

March 11th, 2009 21:00

hi .. call the number listed on the product support link

1 Message

March 12th, 2009 11:00

Windows updated before I went to sleep. When I woke the next morning, I checked my emails and green lines appeared, then no more screen. I turn on my lappy and the screen powers on but does not show anything. I can't hear anything being loaded i.e. windows opening chime. Almost gave up and bought a new one but I found this thread. My warranty expired in Aug '08 so I should be within the 12 month extension. All I have now is hope.

To whomever had a repair:

Did they have to wipe th HDD clean and start fresh or was your info intact? I have music from Amazon on a second partition and would hate to waste that money if I don't need to.

No Events found!