Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2010 04:00

Dell Vostro 1710 not charging

I have a Dell Vostro 1710 laptop that was purchased in December 2009.

I am currently having problems however with the battery/charger. I first noticed that the battery icon on the taskbar in Windows Vista was saying "plugged in, not charging". Sure enough, it wasn't charging. My colleague who has the same laptop noticed the same issue, though it seems to have cleared up on his now.

I then noticed last week that my personal laptop (a Toshiba) was doing the same thing, and found a solution online that involved turning it off, booting it without the battery, removing one of the battery entries in device manager, switching off, putting battery back in, and booting up again. That fixed the problem on my laptop.

However, it does not resolve the problem on my Dell.

I have now noticed that it doesn't appear to be anything to do with Windows at all as when I power it down, plugging the charger in brings the charging light on for approximately 6 seconds, then the light goes out and the laptop doesn't charge.

This morning I tried a different battery that does charge into my laptop and had the same issue, which discounts it being a battery issue I think. I also tried downloading updated drivers from this website but again no joy.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? Is it likely to be an issue with the motherboard, or possibly the charger? We are currently waiting for delivery of a new charger for my colleagues laptop as his packed in, and I'm now using my personal netbook so that he can use my power cable :emotion-1:  I will try that when it arrives, but am not confident it will do the trick, and think its probably a hardware issue with the laptop itself.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2 Posts

September 8th, 2010 04:00

* purchased 2008, not 2009

1 Message

February 20th, 2012 14:00

I have the same issue on my 1710.

The problem arose after I purchased a new 8-cell battery and a new charger with Dell  P/N OCM889.  This is different from the original adapter, but it is what I found on the Dell website as compatible with my system. 

I found that the AC adaptor plug was very loose with the new adapter, but when I physically twisted the laptop-side connector when it was inserted in the machine, this seemed to make the connection tighter, and my battery once again charges properly. After a few minutes, though, the battery stops charging.

I doubt that the issue has anything to do with the battery or charger, as they worked correctly for about 2 months before this issue arose.  I suspect that I have a bad connector on the mainboard.

Does anyone know a part number for the laptop-side DC connector inside the unit?  I'm not averse to soldering a new connector if it solves this problem.  My system is out of warranty, and I can't find a replacement mainboard from Dell or anyone else for that matter.

1 Message

May 21st, 2013 04:00

I having same issues... Vostro 1710..plugged in not charging. windows 7.. please help

• 

3.3K Posts

May 23rd, 2013 15:00

Hi ravineshwar,

Please check if the system turns on only with the Ac adapter.

I suggest that you shut the system down, remove the battery and disconnect the ac adapter, press and hold the power button for 20 to 30 seconds.  Now connect only the ac adapter and wait for 30 seconds and turn on the system. This will drain any residual charge in the capacitors
Next check of the Ac Adapter is detected in BIOS. To go to BIOS restart and at the Dell logo tap F2 key every two seconds. Check the Ac adapter type. If the Ac adapter is listed in the BIOS, update BIOS (If battery has minimum 15% charge) from the link given below:

http://dell.to/12z966f

If the issue persists even after flashing BIOS, try with a known good battery.

Revert with the status.

13 Posts

February 18th, 2015 07:00

Removed batt.& charger, held start PB 30 sec, reinstalled batt, checked BIOS/MAIN

BIOS = A12

AC adapter = "NONE".

Shutdown, held start PB 30 sec.  Reinstalled batt. & charger. 

Problem remains. Shows charging for a few seconds then not charging.

How is an AC adapter added to the list? 

13 Posts

February 18th, 2015 18:00

After the AC adapter was shown in the BIOS and the battery partially charged again it stopped charging so did this and it came back:
jeffreypalermo.com/.../plugged-in-not-charging-windows-7-solution

2.4K Posts

February 18th, 2015 18:00

Go into Control Panel and Power. Check your advanced power settings and see when your battery is being charged.

No Events found!