Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

October 31st, 2016 13:00

Dell Vostro 3550 Will Not Turn On

I have a Vostro 3550 (Win 7 Professional 64 bit) that I purchased in 2011. It has been a very reliable laptop until a few days ago. Now the laptop does not turn and it does not show any power on the indicator light on the front. The power adapter shows that it has power. Just in case there was something wrong with the battery that was preventing the laptop from starting, I removed the battery and re-attached the power cord. Still no power and the laptop didn't start. I reinstalled the battery and tried to restart it. No luck again. I tried to power it up with 3 other power adapters I have (2 OEM & 1 aftermarket) and still no luck getting it to start/boot. So I am pretty sure my adapters are okay and feel it must be something with the laptop itself. Dell said that I could send it to them to diagnose but they would charge me $200 for the diagnosis. 

Even though it had been a very good machine, I am not sure that I want to spend a lot of money on it because it is so old. Does anyone have any easy suggestions of things I can try to see if I can get it to start and boot? I would appreciate any and all suggestions so that I don't have to go out and buy a new machine with Windows 10.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

October 31st, 2016 13:00

Sounds like a motherboard failure and you're wise not to spend anything on it especially a $200 fee just to look at it. Don't hesitate to buy a new laptop with windows 10. It is a big improvement over Windows 8. Win 10 can even use windows 7 backups.

No Events found!