Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 23rd, 2016 15:00

Dell Vostro 5460 can't be updated to Windows 10?

Hello guys. I'm having a huge problem that annoys me for weeks. I'm currently using a Dell Vostro 5460. I've read Dell's list of laptops that are possible to run Windows 10. But the app 'Get Windows 10' says that "Unfortunately, this PC is unable to run Windows 10." And there is one issue: "The CPU isn't supported." After a further research, I found out that my CPU doesn't support NX. I did some search to somehow enable that in my BIOS setting, but no it's no use. My currently BIOS version is A07, and I didn't found any settings related to NX. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1. Here are my system information: 
- Processor: Intel(R) Core i3 - 3110M CPU.

- Memory: 2048 MB RAM.

- Storage: 250 GB SSD.

I'd be very happy if you guys can help me solve this. Feel free to ask for more informations.

380 Posts

February 24th, 2016 00:00

According to the Intel site for your processor (Intel® Core™ i3-3110M), the processor does support the "Execute Disable (NX) bit" with the following caveat:

"This feature may not be available on all computing systems. Please check with the system vendor to determine if your system delivers this feature, or reference the system specifications (motherboard, processor, chipset, power supply, HDD, graphics controller, memory, BIOS, drivers, virtual machine monitor-VMM, platform software, and/or operating system) for feature compatibility. Functionality, performance, and other benefits of this feature may vary depending on system configuration."

So either the BIOS or the accompanying chipset may not support it.

JohnD

No Events found!