Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 26th, 2010 07:00

Dell Vostro A860 WHEN SWITCHED ON THE NUM LOCK STAYS ON ANDTHE CAPS LOCK AND SCROLL LOCK FLASH? HELP!

Does anybody have any suggestions as to why, when this Vostro A860 is turned on that the NUMBER LOCK STAYS ON AND THE CAPS LOCK AND SCROLL LOCK FLASHES CONTINUALLY? PLEASE HELP? I WOULD SINCERELY APPRECIATE ANY RESPONSES!!!!!!

1 Message

December 18th, 2012 13:00

I thought I would take the liberty of providing some potentially helpful guidance, even though it has been more than 2 years since you posted this question!

I have the same exact issue as you after cleaning my dust-covered fan and heat sink. After hours of searching for any ideas, I found a Dell community discussion which might offer a solution to our problem: en.community.dell.com/.../19323146.aspx.

According to the link that the user Osprey posted, certain laptops including the Vostro A860 use the Num, Caps, and Scroll Lock lights to indicate a failed POST (Power-on Self-Test). Your error code means that the computer is not detecting a memory module. You may need to open the memory module cover (not difficult to do; see the Vostro Service Manual on the Dell website) and make sure it is fully in place. If this doesn't help, then you may need to replace it or take other action. I hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Manny

No Events found!