Highlighted
Robinbson
1 Copper

Dell WD15 docking station not powering GTX 1050 through USB-C/Thunderbolt port

I have just bought a Dell XPS 15 (9560) and a Dell WD15 docking station with 130W power brick (same wattage as the laptop's AC-adapter). When I only use the docking station to power the laptop the discrete graphics card (GTX 1050) does not seem to work. When I am in a game (eg. Starcraft 2), I get like 15 fps with the NVIDIA recommended settings. Then when I plug in the laptops's own power brick (while still in the game) I get an immediate four-fold increase in framerate. When I unplug the laptop's own power brick the framerate drops down to 15 fps again in a heartbeat. Furthermore, when I only power the laptop through the docking station, I cannot even find the discrete GPU in the list when I'm trying to run the Geekbench 4 compute benchmark (OpenCL). Only the integrated graphics shows up. When I plug in laptop's power brick I find GTX 1050 in the list.

I have run the Dell Command Update application and all my drivers and firmware are up to date. 

Does anyone have any idea to what the problem could be?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Robinbson
1 Copper

RE: Dell WD15 docking station not powering GTX 1050 through USB-C/Thunderbolt port

I have not received any answer on any post I've made on any forum regarding this problem. Also, a google search yields no examples of people similar predicaments. Am I to conclude that this is an issue only with my computer/dock?

0 Kudos