Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 9th, 2013 17:00

Dell Wireless Dock D5000 - WiGi - drivers / firmware? used with Dell Latitude 6430u

My new Dell Latitude 6430u received today is connected & working with the Dell Wireless Dock D5000 but an icon in the system tray of the operating system is saying :

"You are using an older version of the drivers for your Dell D5000 device. Please go to the manufactures' support site or www.displaylink.com to get the latest drivers."

What I have tried:

Dell Client System Update

support.dell.com (found my service tag automatically but no luck)

Windows Update

Windows 7 64-bit pro (from the factory)

The Dell Wireless Dock D5000 (came in the same box as the 6430u

There is nothing else installed on this system other than factory installed software.

I found that I needed to update my WiGi drivers manually for the 1601 from the support.dell.com drivers

AND download some software update from www.displaylink.com

even then this D5000 is still not working as smoothly as in the video marketing. The display screen flickers once when connected to the D5000 & Windows does a thunk thunk thunk when it grabs onto the video. (nothing else is connected, no other keyboard, usb, etc.)

has anyone had any luck with these WiGi docking stations?

20 Posts

June 4th, 2013 08:00

Yes, I had actually read your site previously.

The "only" reason I even tried the "DisplayLink" package was because I had the exclamation point in Device Manager just using the Dell A03 drivers.   So I tried the Display Link stuff to see if I could fix it.   But perhaps after some Windows Updates and stuff, if I uninstall and start again I might get it working properly.  

What I noticed was the Device Manager was clean, "until", the point that I synced the dock by running the D5000 software and pressing the botton on the dock.   After the sync, that is when DisplayLink audio showed up as broken.  I haven't been able to correct it.

I have nothing to lose on this laptop, I can simply reinstall Windows 8 from scratch and try again.   But I went from a clean format yesterday...so I don't have much confidence anything would happen differently today.

I'll be honest, this darn dock and 6430u has really been the bane of my existence these past few months.

50 Posts

June 4th, 2013 08:00

I agree. The process for me, until A03, was quite the pain in the keester. A03 has been awesome for me though.

If you're willing to do the clean install again, I would recommend you do that and once at the desktop, do nothing else but the dock software and getting the dock to connect properly with no dings in Device Manager. Once that is stable and appears correct, then I would proceed with the rest (and create a restore point at that point as well).

20 Posts

June 5th, 2013 12:00

Interesting discovery.

I took my previously installed Windows 8 image and put it back on, uninstalled everything that pertained to the dock and reinstalled.   THIS time, I noticed that near the end I was given a license agreement for the DisplayLink software, when I accepted that agreement, the install seemed to finish and the broken displaylink audio problem in device manager went away.

So, I then formatted and reinstalled Windows 8.   I had 4 dings in device manager.I did nothing, but install the A03 drivers.  It went through the install, installed the fresco sutff, said it updated the firmware, got the popup bubble about displaylink software potentially being old, went through the reboots.   Fired up the D5000 software, connected to the dock, it started doing a bunch of DisplayLink installs, but NEVER prompted to accept or decline the DisplayLink license agreement.   The displaylink ding in Device Manager went away, my sound started working in the dock and I thought all was ok.  In just a few moments, after Windows saw the Internet it grabbed 2 drivers, which took away 2 dings in device manager.   It prompted me to reboot.  I rebooted and the DisplayLink audio thing showed back up in Device Manager as broken.

I tried a Repair install, still broke.

I did a full uninstall, and reinstall, and this time, it once again prompted me to Accept the DisplayLink license and it installed the DisplayLink audio driver and all is well again.

So, it seems like the installer gets confused the first time through, doesn't throw the license for DisplayLInk and thus doesn't properly get it all installed.   On an uninstall and a reinstall, it does prompt for the license and completes everything successfully.

I'm going to reinstall Windows right now and try to confirm this behavior.

50 Posts

June 5th, 2013 13:00

Odd, I have not experience any of those issues at all...Not sure what I did differently.

1 Message

June 9th, 2013 00:00

Here is a link to the most updated WiGig drivers:

search.dell.com/results.aspx

1 Message

July 10th, 2013 17:00

No Events found!