Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 9th, 2014 11:00

Dell XPS 11 Tablet Mode Problem

I just bought a new Dell XPS 11 and I love it except for one problem: it goes to sleep in tablet mode. I bought it for the laptop/tablet conversion but the tablet part is almost unusable. When I fold it back to use it as a tablet, the display turns off and then flickers between on and off. To make it not do this I have to hold the screen about 2" away from touching the back which defeats the purpose because this makes the keyboard still active. Has anyone had this problem and know of a solution?

7 Posts

July 9th, 2014 12:00

Thanks, this seems to have fixed it. Do you have any suggestions on how to still save battery life without it sleeping?

July 9th, 2014 12:00

The best thing to do with all power management settings is to TURN THEM ALL OFF. NEVER SLEEP ETC.

This is the first thing I do with a new laptop or tablet and no problems

7 Posts

July 9th, 2014 13:00

Actually I thought it worked but it didn't. I have everything set to never sleep and it still turns the display off in tablet mode. Any other ideas?

August 8th, 2014 05:00

I am having the same problem. Don't suppose you have found a fix since your last post? Have you sent it back to dell?

7 Posts

August 8th, 2014 08:00

I have sent it back to Dell to fix it and they replaced the motherboard but it did not fix the problem. I called them and they sent an in-home texhnician to replace the screen (the whole top half) and it finally fixed the problem. Since it was still under warranty it was all free for me. See if you can get it sent to the depot and specifically ask them to replace the screen.

7 Posts

August 8th, 2014 08:00

Since I was able to watch the technician guy replace the screen, it looked like the problem was one of the cables connecting the top half to the bottom half. This laptop is so small it looked like the main cable might get pulled when flipped into tablet mode, especially if it was damaged in the first place. There's bit a lot of room for problems in this one.

August 8th, 2014 10:00

Thank you for your help. Ill give them a call. I bough it the other week, took 10 days to get to me and instantly I could tell there was a problem. So annoying.

3 Posts

August 21st, 2014 07:00

I have the same issue.  First refurb XPS 11 2 in 1 shipped had keys that didnt work and wouldnt charge.  Dell sent another.  It is also a refurb.  But this one will not work in tablet mode.  The screen goes black.  Sleeps, but if you turn off sleep mode, close lid into tablet mode it goes black, updon opening it again error message   "intel graphics driver has crashed and recovered."

So I uninstalled driver and installed the stock windows driver.  Closed lid to go into tablet mode and the display stays on, but no touch support, the keyboard shuts off like it's supposed to but the touchpad works, thats the only way to move the cursor in tablet mode (with the still functioning touchpad on the back).

I've tried Dell's driver, I've tried intels driver, i've tried windows driver.  dell and intels graphics driver causes no display in tablet mode.  windows stock driver works but no touchscreen ability.  Im about to have to contact dell A THIRD TIME.

1 Message

May 15th, 2015 11:00

Did the screen repair resolve your issue on getting  tablet mode to work properly?

I am facing the same issue with a close out unit I just bought and I wonder if I should the return unit while I can within my 30 day full return time frame. Thanks in advance for any guidance.  (got it at a great price and otherwise it fits my needs perfectly.)

No Events found!