sdellusr
1 Copper

Dell XPS 12 9Q33 BIOS update failure bricked laptop. Need help to recover

I have a Dell XPS 12 and I wanted to install the latest updates. My old version was A06. After I downloaded it, closed all programs and started the flash. The flash completed with all green boxes across the screen starting from the 4th row in the screen that popped up from the downloaded file.When that completed and it started flashing the EC, it stopped at 12%. It stayed there for 3 hours after which the computer was unresponsive and I couldn't turn it off. Then I unplugged the battery and let it drain. Now, It won't power up normally. It will only do so when the power adapter is inserted with the end button pressed. Even then the screen doesn't turn on.

I tried the bios recovery procedure listed here, blog.jmwhite.co.uk/.../dell-xps-9530-uefi-bios-recovery and extracted the hdr and rom files from the bios, I found out that the recovery file must be named CS_A06.hdr. I created a usb drive and put both the files in there, CS_A06.hdr and CS_A06.rom. Then booted it with the end key pressed and power jack inserted with the usb key in the port ( I tried both ports) and it still won't boot up into the bios flashing program. The fan just spins and the USB key light flashes indicating something being read. I tried this with the files obtained from A08 bios as well. It didn't work. Can you please help me?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
8 Xenon

RE: Dell XPS 12 9Q33 BIOS update failure bricked laptop. Need help to recover

Your best bet is to locate a shop that can unsolder the BIOS chip, flash it in an EEPROM writer and re-flash it.  That's about the only way to recover short of replacing the entire mainboard.  The cost to have the chip reflashed should run $100-150 -- 1/3 or 1/2 of the cost of a board replacement.

0 Kudos
sdellusr
1 Copper

Thanks for the reply. Is there no other alternative? Aren't there any other recovery modes? It looks like the usb drive is being read on power up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
sgo1984
1 Copper

There is no way to fix because the flashing proces was failed at EC flashing, so the BIOS is working but your EC is dead, so even if you reflash the BIOS with recovery (power cord+end key) it will not help , need to flash the EC as well but I haven't found any documentation for that, and DELL team is not able to help in this case, I don't no why. Only hope if de laptop is in warranty.

0 Kudos