Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 25th, 2014 14:00

Dell XPS 12, Adjusting the brightness for the display does not work anymore.

Several months ago I updated the display drivers for my XPS 12 laptop. Prior to that, I could adjust the display brightness with no problems. After the upgrade, the bar for adjusting the brightness shows and I can adjust the bar but it has no effect on the brightness. I have gone all the way back to the original drivers and even the Microsoft driver and the issue still remains. I can't even use the ones from Intel because it says I need to use the ones from the manufacturer. I have also made sure that all settings regarding brightness are turned to on. Any suggestions? Stu

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

You should not update display drivers on a laptop unless you are directed to update by Dell. Those are customized by Dell for your model and configuration. That is why Intel tells you to get the drivers from Dell. Download the correct driver for your model from Dell Downloads. Follow the instruction page for installing the driver. Write down the name of your display hardware in Display manager before downloading since not all the drivers listed will be for yours.

2 Posts

Mary G, I only install drivers from the manufacturers and that's what I did here. I only looked at using the Intel version when none of the Dell ones worked. Update: Being in the IT field for a long time, Manufacturers are not going to "tell you" to update. I have all the Dell software in place that should tell me when there are driver updates but... it does not work all the time. So once I month I go to the manufacturers site and either have their online diagnostic check look for drivers (which usually finds some) or I look at the driver versions and dates and compare that with mine as well as reading as much as I can about the update and determining if I really need it.

6 Posts

April 13th, 2015 17:00

Did you every resolve this issue? I'm still struggling with it.

6 Posts

June 23rd, 2015 19:00

Mine came good after doing an OS refresh. It actually fixed some other issues as well, which was very welcome!

No Events found!