Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 25th, 2012 16:00

Dell XPS 12 Touch screen stop working when flipping screen

Hi,

So I bought the XPS 12 a month ago, and it is fantastic! However, I have been experiencing a problem: 

When I flip the screen to go into tablet mode, after a short while, the touch stops working. The screen still shows what it's supposed to, but it won't register my fingers (or anyone elses...) 

I have seen another post about a similar problem at the forum (http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19477009/20235618.aspx), but the solutions given (update BIOS, update chipset and video drivers, calibrating the touch screen) didn't solve my problem.

Are there any other solutions available, or is this a problem only I am experiencing?  

Sincerely,

Ben

1 Message

February 4th, 2013 12:00

Good afternoon Terry.  I am a new Dell XPS 12 owner and after a few days of using my new laptop I am having the same problem as the others in this thread.  My touch screen will stop working after using it in tablet mode after an undetermined amount of time.  Only putting the laptop to sleep or doing a restart solves the problem and this is a temporary fix. 

Second, Starting last night 2/3/2013 my display will no longer rotate when I flip the screen to tablet mode.  The Auto Rotate is not off (I've tried the button on the side of the laptop with the screen in both positions) so I am not sure why the accelerometer has seemingly ceased to work.

Any help or advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

David

12 Posts

February 5th, 2013 11:00

The last thing Dell Technical Support told me, after they updated some drivers and did some cleanup on my machine, was to use it for a few days, and if the freezing kept occurring, I would need to reinstall the OS.  I'm not willing to do that at this point.  I keep hoping they will figure out the problem, and grasp how many people are affected by it, and issue a fix. 

When I received the machine, it was running Windows 8 Home.  I upgraded to Pro soon after I got it.  One technician seemed to think that might have something to do with the problem.  What version do others on this thread have?

February 5th, 2013 11:00

Hello all, I am having the same issue with my new XPS 12. After waiting over 2 months for the device to arrive it is now having spontaneous touchscreen freezes. Along with the message in event log about the multi-touch device reporting inconsistent touch locations. I have found that selecting "scan for hardware changes" in the device manager will unfreeze the screen but only for a minute for so. A reboot is the only solution to make it run long term again.

I would like to know if there is work progressing on a fix or are we being left in the cold? What is the current workaround other than a reboot?

For a premium (and expensive) device there sure seems a lack of haste here.

13 Posts

February 5th, 2013 17:00

I am still running what it came with - Windows 8. So not the Pro Edition. I rarely see the problem now.

11 Posts

February 5th, 2013 17:00

Mine has had the issue with both w8 and w8 pro so didn't matter. They think it might be an edp cable is bad. They will replace it and see if that's the issue.

February 6th, 2013 00:00

Still running bog standard windows 8 here.

5 Posts

February 8th, 2013 10:00

Quick update on a conversation with tech support which seems a bit odd to me.  I called back to confirm that they had the correct email information as I hadn't received any update on logging the call.  I asked the rep if this was a known issue and made reference to the forums here.  They explained that it was due to the fact that the machine shipped with WIndows 8 and there were no compatible drivers for the touchscreen for WIndows 8 - which if true, would appear to be a staggering response.   (the previous rep told me it was a hardware issue, unique to my machine).  

I then asked how a replacement machine would address this, and they said the hardware team would be in contact with Microsoft for updated drivers, which would be update on the replacement machine.  I asked if I could simply upgrade the drivers myself and was told that was not possible. 

So, the tech support stories are at best inconsistent, at worst, completely misleading on this one. Hoping they are right and that a replacement will fix it, but I'm not 100% confident at this point 

Thanks.

5 Posts

February 8th, 2013 10:00

Just got my XPS12 (refurb) this morning and same issue. Touch screen works initially, and then stops if I flip to tablet mode. It also seems to stop working sometimes in laptop mode.  Spent an hour on with tech support who told me that this was just an isolated case and that a replacement would fix the issue.  I guess they don't read these forums.... Not happy as others have said, the touch / tablet capabilities were the reason I bought the machine and I'll be looking for a refund if they are not useable.  Shame as it seems like a really nice machine otherwise.

6 Posts

February 8th, 2013 13:00

NPenfold, I totally agree.  My XPS 12 has not been able to boot for 3 weeks now.  I've played all the tech support games and have had a tech come to my house and it still doesn't boot.  Waited 3 days for a shipping box to show and its now on its way to Dell for repair.  It had the touch screen lockup problem also before it stopped booting and I sent them a letter asking for that to be looked into also.  If it still has issues when I get it back I'm asking for a re-fund.  I've had 5 XPS systems, several Inspiron laptops, and several Dell pocket PC's.  I've been a good Dell customer and I hope I won't have any problems returning it as I'm afraid I'm going to have to...

Good luck with yours NPenfold!

2 Posts

February 8th, 2013 13:00

I received my XPS 12 today and within minutes of starting it, the touchscreen had gone. Restarting doesn't fix the problem. There is no pen or touch input recognised in the device settings. I have tried to hotfix published by Microsoft but it is not applicable on this system. Terry, please PM me!

How long do we have to return the product? If there is no fix, I don't see how any of us have any option other than to return it. It's far too expensive to just be a normal ultrabook.

Naomi

3 Posts

February 10th, 2013 17:00

I'm having this problem also. I don't seem to have the option to send you a private message.

2 Posts

February 12th, 2013 20:00

Ok so this is the second day that I get to use my XPS 12 and the screen freeze happened to me today.  It happened to me twice actually.  Yesterday It was working great then at the end of the day it asked to install new updates then shut down. Upon start up this morning it asked to wait while the computer applied the updates so I did.  After doing so I switched to tablet mode and it immediately froze. I switched back to laptop mode and was able to restart using the touch pad.  It worked fine for a few hours then it did it again. At first I thought it was an isolated incident, as it works fine after restart, but after reading all these posts its definitely a problem.  I really enjoy this laptop, so I hope they get a fix soon.

2 Posts

February 13th, 2013 00:00

So just a quick update. My touch input worked again the day after I had the problem and had continued to work. Even so, I have been in contact with Dell technical support and they have been excellent. I'd advise anyone still having problems to call them. I think the number of people having problems is actually only a very small percentage.

This forum doesn't appear to be monitored frequently, so don't rely on anyone from Dell contacting you, you should call them directly.

Good luck!

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

February 13th, 2013 12:00

I wanted to touch base with all of you.  If you have missed my earlier messages and are having problems with the touch screen not working please shoot me a private message, just click on the link in my signature and then click start conversation.  

Please try the following steps with the Intel HD graphics driver to disable PSR (Panel Self Refresh) and see if it helps with the touch screen.

1.  Right click anywhere on the desktop and choose graphic properties from the menu.

2.  Select the Power Icon

3.  Choose “On battery”

4.  For power plan select "Balanced"

5.  Select Panel Self Refresh and turn it off.

Please let me know if you have these options and if turning off Panel Self Refresh seemed to make a difference at all with the Touch Screen.  If you don't have these options please let me know what version of the Intel driver that you are using.

TB

6 Posts

February 13th, 2013 13:00

There is no Panel Self Refresh anywhere.

No Events found!