Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 25th, 2012 16:00

Dell XPS 12 Touch screen stop working when flipping screen

Hi,

So I bought the XPS 12 a month ago, and it is fantastic! However, I have been experiencing a problem: 

When I flip the screen to go into tablet mode, after a short while, the touch stops working. The screen still shows what it's supposed to, but it won't register my fingers (or anyone elses...) 

I have seen another post about a similar problem at the forum (http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19477009/20235618.aspx), but the solutions given (update BIOS, update chipset and video drivers, calibrating the touch screen) didn't solve my problem.

Are there any other solutions available, or is this a problem only I am experiencing?  

Sincerely,

Ben

3 Posts

February 17th, 2013 15:00

I hope the answer is not to reinstall the OS. If that's Dell's position, they're getting the machine back and I'll get a Surface Pro.

7 Posts

February 17th, 2013 19:00

Mmaestro, there's NO touchscreen driver.

The Atmel device is a touchscreen controller, not a display. They specifically advertise not needing to have a driver. The screen itself is probably made by someone else capable of making screens, like Samsung or whatever(I don't know the vendor though).

Unfortunately with all the rumors of Dell exiting the PC business entirely, and the reports of them going private, I'm not sure if they'll get it fixed. One thing is for sure, its an intermittent problem.

39 Posts

February 17th, 2013 19:00

Well, reinstalling Windows is not so bad, especially on a system with a fast SSD like this one. It's a pretty quick process, probably a couple of hours. But fundamentally, I'm not convinced that without some sort of replacement driver for the touchscreen anything will change.

If I was at work and had access to a few of these to play around with, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I don't feel like I have the option of messing around indefinitely with the possibility that this can't fix the problem, all the while running the clock on the possibility of a refund. And, in the end, it ought to just work out of the box. That's not an unreasonable expectation.

39 Posts

February 17th, 2013 21:00

There's a driver. Everything has a driver. Whether it's a generic driver that's bundled with Windows is a different question, Atmel may just use whatever Microsoft has built in to Windows 8, there may be some standard they're working to. In which case we may instead be talking about needing a hotfix, a patch, something to modify how that interaction happens. But I'm.. not 100% sure, but pretty sure that what we're seeing is a software problem and could therefore be fixed in software.

If Atmel advertises not needing any sort of driver install, I really do wonder if a clean install would also have the "Atmel Touchscreen Control" process running? It would be an interesting experiment.

I've not heard any rumors of Dell exiting the PC business, although they did just go private, so that part's true. But with the $2bn loan Microsoft gave, and their determination to win in the consumer space, I can't imagine Microsoft would have put up that cash if Dell were planning to exit PC manufacturing.

39 Posts

February 17th, 2013 22:00

Ugh, idiot that I am. Should have looked at that before posting. So the Atmel software seems to be installed as part of the Dell Quickset software. So they do have a touchscreen component in there, it's just not explicitly listed as a touchscreen driver. But it's in Quickset. It's there.

1 Message

February 18th, 2013 11:00

Hi Terry,

Any update on a fix for the XPS12?

Thanks,
Kevin

4 Posts

February 18th, 2013 16:00

hello guys - go to control panel - tablet pc settings...calibrate..follow it and reset...works for me!!!

12 Posts

February 18th, 2013 16:00

Dell technical support had me do that too.  Didn't seem to help.

39 Posts

February 18th, 2013 22:00

I was also asked to do this, and it didn't help me. I've been playing around with the Atmel Touchscreen Control, killing the process and restarting it, and modifying the priority of the process in Windows. It does seem to have an effect, albeit an unreliable one. For instance, with the touchscreen dead, I changed the priority of the process from "normal" to "realtime" and a touch I'd previously made some 10 or 15 seconds previously instantly registered and took effect, but I'm not getting anything consistent. I suspect the problem is either in this software, or something else that is interacting with it and preventing the OS from receiving commands from it. None of which, unfortunately, actually helps us fix the problem

11 Posts

February 22nd, 2013 11:00

Update: I finally was contacted by a Dell service tech(3 weeks) and he came out today and replaced the housing and wires around the screen. Right now the touch screen works and is very responsive. Just as I thought this night mare was over I notice a black debris in the screen. This was not there before. The tech was having a hard time putting the screen back together so something happened then. So now I'm back to needing service once again....

6 Posts

February 22nd, 2013 11:00

Know how you feel spoiledfree.  My XPS 12 had the screen freezing problem but I never got around to fixing it.  My XPS 12 stopped booting Saturday Jan 26.  Tried various tech support stuff and nothing worked.  Was told to send it in for repair.  Tomorrow it will be 5 weeks without a working computer!  I know when I get it back it will still have the screen freezing problem that will need another service needed.  I'm starting to loose my patience...

February 22nd, 2013 15:00

ok, have just tried something for when the touchscreen stops responding, which has worked so far - but only had one chance to test it so far

Next time it stops, hit Fn F1 to change to an external screen, use the arrow keys to move down to the bottom option, external screen only, and hit enter. Then just hit Fn F1 again to turn the screen on again, and touch works again.

Also, I've had an intermittent problem with my mouse cursor disappearing, boxes will highlight if I luck onto them, but the cursor is gone. A real pain. Anyway, this also brought the cursor back, so killed two birds with one stone

See if this works for you, as I will next time the screen stops

1 Message

March 2nd, 2013 13:00

Hi, I bought the dell all in onexps computer last month my today the touchscreen stop working, please help me to resolve out. Thanks

39 Posts

March 7th, 2013 15:00

Hi all. As I said above, I eventually returned my XPS12, but I'm still interested in whether Dell ever resolves this issue. I'd left a feed of the drivers on my RSS list, and noticed yesterday a large number of new drivers dropped, including chipset and a new version if Quickset. I know there's a touchscreen component in Quickset, has anyone tried it out yet to see if it helps resolve these problems?

6 Posts

March 7th, 2013 16:00

Yes, please report to us all if anybody has gotten a successful resolution from Dell on this issue.  It has been a major problem with the XPS12 ever since it came out.  Example: I was in an important business meeting this morning and fired up the machine to answer a question.  The screen promptly froze up, and I was unable to get the information without screwing around with the machine.  Needless to say, I gave up and shut the machine down, embarassed that it wouldn't let me do the simplest thing.

I'm doing a technical review of the machine for my corporate IT group, and I cannot recommend this otherwise excellent machine to anybody until this problem is resolved once and for all.

No Events found!