Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 5th, 2013 16:00

Dell XPS 12 makes buzzing noise when AC power connected

I have a Dell XPS 12. When I have the AC power connected to the device, there is a buzzing noise (but not very loud) coming from near the port where it's connected. Is this something I should be concerned about?

1.3K Posts

February 7th, 2013 19:00

Hi Josh,

Thank you for the observation. Kindly try the below steps and revert with the outcome.

1)      Reseat the power cord to the AC adapter.
2)      Try on a different wall socket
3)      Swap with a known good adapter if available.
4)      Check if the ac adapter is getting over heated.
5)      Perform built in diagnostics with the AC adapter connected. Follow the instructions below.

Turn the computer off >restart the computer , At the Dell logo screen, start tapping the F12 key a few times until you see the ‘One Time Boot Menu’ appear. At the one time boot menu, press the down arrow key to highlight ‘Diagnostic’, and then press Enter to begin the PSA diagnostics. If the test fails, please make a note of any error codes listed. You can also refer to the link below.

http://dell.to/OUGnqT

9 Posts

February 8th, 2013 16:00

After following your tests and advice, it seems there's nothing wrong with the power connector, despite the noise it's making. The noise can be a bit annoying, but at least I know my laptop isn't broken.

1.3K Posts

February 8th, 2013 19:00

Hi Josh,

Please provide your system service tag through a private message so that I can check the system details and assist you further.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag so I may check the region/country from where the system was purchased and assist you accordingly. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

1 Message

October 18th, 2013 15:00

Hello,

I have a similar problem, can you please help me also?

2 Posts

January 18th, 2014 13:00

My Dell xps 12 has arrived just yesterday and I have the same issue. This buzzing noise makes me worried. 

March 6th, 2014 02:00

I have the same issue with my 1 month old XPS 12 with 4th generation I7.

2 Posts

March 6th, 2014 03:00

an update from me regarding this issue:

1) Engineer from Dell came around and changed motherboard, it didn't help. 

2) I have received a replacement laptop, it has the same issue. 

It does not seem to affect laptop performance, but it's very annoying when you work in a quiet room. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 10th, 2014 07:00

Has anybody found a solution to this problem yet? I too have the buzzing noise.

1 Message

May 26th, 2014 12:00

Hello,

I have a brand new XPS 12 and I have the same buzz noise that comes 50% of the time.

Is there finally any solution for this ? It's quite irritating...

Thanks !

1 Message

November 8th, 2015 11:00

I am have this issue

No Events found!