Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 9th, 2015 05:00

Dell XPS 13 2015 (9343) - Hardware issues

I've been reading up on discussion forums regarding the new XPS 13 prior to placing my order so I'd know what to expect. I'm generally happy with the machine but am saddened to find that my machine is not perfect, especially for a  £1200+ top of the range ultrabook.

-  Trackpad. I've installed the latest driver/firmware for trackpad and  bios A03 from the dell support site, yet am experiencing cursor jumping when trying to click on the buttons. There is also a delay before registering finger movement.

- Keyboard. Through normal typing, I am experiencing double keypresses on the spacebar as well as the 'i'  key.

- QHD+ display  panel. Quite noticeable screen bleed, and uneven too.

Can a DELL representative tell me what my options  are? I am presuming I need a replacement?

10 Posts

May 21st, 2015 07:00

I have tried going between A00 and A03 a few times - no difference - always broken with A03.

6 Posts

April 10th, 2015 03:00

Can a Dell rep please respond?

6 Posts

April 12th, 2015 03:00

Having similar issues.

• The keyboard was driving me nuts with repeated keystrokes. It made the laptop completely unusable. Someone on this forum suggested that the issue was introduced with BIOS upgrade A01 so I downgraded to A00 which has indeed fixed the keyboard! However now the CPU fan spins constantly when plugged in, something which was fixed in A02.
  • My cursor doesn't jump but there's an annoying delay before scrolling starts when using two fingers, especialy in Chrome. 
  • The blacks on my QHD+ display are very good however flat colours like the Windows 8 loading screen show up the uneven lighting. Disappointing but acceptable in my opinion.

I shall be contacting Dell about a replacement which fixes the fan and keyboard.

6 Posts

April 13th, 2015 07:00

Still no response from DELL...? Disappointing...

10 Posts

April 17th, 2015 19:00

got the same issue here after going from A00 to A03.  very annoying.

6 Posts

April 22nd, 2015 08:00

I've downgraded bios to A02 and keyboard is still the same.  I think I may just have a faulty keyboard.

6 Posts

April 22nd, 2015 08:00

I had the problem on A01, A02 and A03. Only with A00 did the keyboard behave mostly normal although I did notice very occasional double letters there too.

I contacted Dell support last week and after a couple of calls where we went though some basic troubleshooting they're sending me a new one. Fingers crossed it doesn't have the same problem.

10 Posts

April 24th, 2015 17:00

new keyboard or whole new laptop?  I also get occasional double letters with a00 but much less frequent than a03.

May 12th, 2015 03:00

I have the keyboard issue too - and I'd really like to know if it's a hardware issue at all - if so I'll send mine back. Has anyone resolved this other than via a BIOS downgrade? I've posted here and started a poll too:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/double-typing-xps-2015-9343.775855/

10 Posts

May 12th, 2015 04:00

there is another thread running at en.community.dell.com/.../19626873

2 Posts

May 20th, 2015 12:00

I got my developer edition with A03 out of the box. Massive key repeat issue (maybe one in 4 taps of the enter key would spam enter until I pressed something else). Tried downgrading the BIOS, but was blocked despite downgrades being enabled in the BIOS (though attempting to change this setting didn't work). Tried re-installing A03 to fix that, and rebooted to find that my issue seems to be gone (I've only been testing for around 5 minutes, but I could repro within 5 seconds before). Try reinstalling A03, see if it helps.

29 Posts

May 20th, 2015 19:00

Reinstalling A03 made no difference for me. This keyboard is so frustrating to use.

2 Posts

May 24th, 2015 09:00

I also have to admit that it has left a sour taste in my mouth about Dell.  I should say almost all windows manufactures have left a sour taste in my mouth.  I have a Dell XPS 13 2015 and MacBook Air 2015. 

I don't understand how dell can continue to ship out computers with this known issue.  My version was only $1100 however can you imagine if you got the $1700 version and had this keyboard issue. 

Trackpad registering your palm.....  This is annoying. 

Battery life....  I don't have an issue with 7-9 hours what I do have an issue is with honesty.  I almost want to return the laptop out of principal that they would advertise 15 hours of battery life when I'm getting an average of 7.  Marketing! 

After my dell inspiron 15 7000 disaster with the bad wireless card and horrible wifi speeds this could be my last time that I purchase dell and just go all apple and drink the kool-aid.  I just hate the bezels on my MacBook Air 13.

2 Posts

May 25th, 2015 07:00

Unfortunately, this did not fix my keyboard double type issue. I had my XPS all packed up and ready to be shipped out on Tuesday. I had to get it out of the box to do the update. I thought wow, maybe this is good timing, I can keep this computer and this will fix my issue. Not!
No Events found!