Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2015 22:00

Dell XPS 13 (2015) AC Adapter getting very hot

I've had my XPS 13 for a few days now and recently plugged it in to charge using the AC adapter (450-ABEN) with the short, two prong adapter connected to the "power brick". The AC adapter works just fine but it did get alarmingly hot.

I then allowed the unit to cool. removed the two prong plug from the power brick and plugged in the other cord that it comes with, (standard 3 prong, with about a one foot cord) and the AC adapter seems to be working at a more acceptable temperature. 

Is this something that I need to be concerned with, or is this just normal operation for this device? 

Anyone else have the same experience?

Thanks in advance.

PS. Love the laptop by the way. :)

March 6th, 2015 00:00

I have consistently used the three pronged part/cord for a couple weeks without issue.  Tonight I started pushing the system, running two virtual machines one of which is compiling the linux kernel from clean (I have the i7 model).  I am noticing the same thing you experienced.  The power brick is EXTREMELY hot.  I'm a little worried about it, but I'm going to keep pushing it and see what happens.

2 Posts

March 6th, 2015 05:00

i ended up talking to Dell about the issue and they sent me a replacement power brick. I'm honestly still using the original brick with cord and haven't tested the new one. I'm pretty sure that it's working as intended anyway but just running hot on a heavy work load. Other than that, it's been fine. Not sure where to go from here but I think that it'll be fine.

1 Message

March 8th, 2015 19:00

Having same issue, the fan on laptop also was on high when I noticed the 45w power brick was extremely hot.

Upon unplugging the adapter, the laptop fan stepped down in speed and eventually stopped. This leads me to believe the adapter is having a hard time charging and the battery in the laptop is heating up forcing the cooling fan to activate.

Will try to charge when the laptop is off.

March 9th, 2015 08:00

I experience the same thing this morning.  Battery started out at ~40% charge.  I was not doing anything on the computer but the screen was on.  I noticed the fan was running on high which was the first time I had even heard the fan.  I had to grab my stuff and head to a meeting and I noticed both the bottom of the laptop and the charging brick were hot to the touch.

1 Message

March 16th, 2015 06:00

Hi,

i have same problem, but even one more.

When charging, fan is on almost all the time (normaly it is rarely heard).

And also i noticed that LED on power adater turn off and also charging stops.

Than i have to unplug/plug power adaptor to make it work again until LED stops again after few minutes.

Now i closed LCD on notebook and i am working only through docking station and so far it charges (charges is very hot). But with LCD open i cannot charge my XPS and use it at the same time :/

Looks like charging adater is not strong enough.

br,

Andrej

1 Message

May 9th, 2015 16:00

Glad I found this thread.  I've had my XPS13 for about 6 weeks now,  In the second week, the 2-pronged adapter began to fritz out - the two prong position had to be very precisely placed in the fully extended positions to allow the brick charger to work (even if the two-prong was off by half a millimeter the brick charger would not work).  I got a new 2 pronged adapter and everything was fine until last evening, My laptop was about out of battery power (down to about 5%) so I plugged in the charger and continued working.  Two hours later I reached to unplug the brick and it was extremely HOT, felt dangerously hot - many times hotter than normal.  I believe my XPS fan was not constantly on. 

I am going to try and use the cord instead of the 2 two-prong and see if the brick runs cooler.  Perhaps the 2-prong adapter design is flawed in more way than one?

1 Message

December 28th, 2015 15:00

I'm also having the issue with the hot power supply.

I have a new XPS 13, and when plug it into the laptop the power brick gets very hot (when the laptop is in use).

I was thinking that the 45W brick doesn't have the capacity needed, has anyone tried a larger capacity adapter with any luck?

If so, which one, as it looks like XPS 13 only has the 45W adapter available from the store...?

1 Message

September 28th, 2016 13:00

I too have the same problem. power supply adapter is very hot. Can someone please advise what to do. Thanks

10 Posts

February 18th, 2017 17:00

I have the same problem. I'm usually in Canada but in the UK with the conversion of power, the AC adapter seems to overheat. I'm very worried about this as I'm extremely reliant on my laptop. Any advice?

10 Posts

February 18th, 2017 17:00

I have the exact same problem. I'm travelling and I'm usually in Canada but in  the UK when I convert power, the AC adapter seems to overheat (it hurts to the touch almost) and I'm very worried about it as I'm totally reliant on my laptop here. Any advice? Can you emergency ship an AC adapter here?

10 Posts

March 18th, 2017 23:00

I am also facing same problem with my AC power adapter supplied with my Dell XPS(2016)  getting extremely hot whike charging while laptop heat is normal. Is the universal problem Dell of AC power adapter and needs attention or can be considered as working fine

1 Message

April 4th, 2017 11:00

We have this same issue. Last night the power supply exploded. Sounded like a gunshot and was very scary.

No Events found!