Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 4th, 2015 20:00

Dell XPS 13 2015 trackpad issues in Firefox and Chrome

I just bought a new Dell XPS 13 2015 and it is great, however, I am having small trackpad issues with certain apps.  When using IE 11, scrolling with the trackpad is smooth, however, I do not want to use IE.  When using both Chrome and Firefox, scrolling vertically is very staggering, laggy, and not smooth. I believe I have the most up to date drivers installed, as per the dell support system.  Any thoughts? Thanks!

1 Message

March 5th, 2015 10:00

Tony,

I'm not sure what the issue is but I'm experiencing it too.  Hopefully someone else has some insight into the issue and suggestions on how to fix it.

-Tom

8 Posts

March 7th, 2015 12:00

What browser are you using currently?

Did you find one that works besides IE?

6 Posts

April 22nd, 2015 10:00

Same problem here with the newest Chrome 64 bit

April 22nd, 2015 18:00

Yep I got the i7 XPS yesterday and have the same issue with Chrome. My scrolling on IE is smooth, but its super slow, so I still havent decided which browser to stick with.

8 Posts

April 22nd, 2015 22:00

I haven't. I am still using IE. hopefully the new browser in Windows 10 will be better.

5.2K Posts

April 23rd, 2015 08:00

Chrome has an extension called SmoothScroll which may help with this situation. Go to the Settings and select Extensions at the upper left and then Get More Extensions at the bottom of the Extensions page and search for SmoothScroll.

April 23rd, 2015 15:00

Smooth Scroll doesnt fix the delay when between when I try scrolling and it actually scrolls, so it's useless for me.

5.2K Posts

April 24th, 2015 07:00

Did you look at the options section listed? Lots of variables to try.

8 Posts

April 24th, 2015 08:00

Which options section?

5.2K Posts

April 24th, 2015 08:00

It's just under the SmoothScroll entry in the Extensions list in Settings.

April 28th, 2015 02:00

I'm having the same problem - Chrome touchpad is very choppy and spotty. IE touchpad is flawless.

What's the deal?

3 Posts

April 28th, 2015 04:00

Who knows, but Dell should make sure this gets fixed ASAP.

I just(a couple of hours ago) got my girlfiend a XPS 13 2015, and she really don't like the trackpad. In fact, I know she is really disappointed with it. I tested it myself and WOW, that trackpad really is *** for scrolling. Scrolling works nicely in Internet Explorer, but it *** everywhere else.

The problem:
Scrolling is delayed, there is a clear delay when I start to scroll with two fingers. When it first begins to scroll it acts as if the period with delay was no delay at all and jumps down, and when I lift off the trackpad the scrolling instantly stops.

So, I start to scroll, nothing happens. Suddenly it reacts and jumps down, then I react to the touchpad and lift off it as the sudden jump was unexpected and then the scrolling stops, instantly.

Scrolling is smooth after the delay, but every time you start a new scroll(after lifting off) the delay appears.

This is a huge problem in Firefox and Chrome. Internet Explorer does not have the problem and behaves well.

I was going to purchase some more of these, but I won't unless this gets fixed.

This is the WORST experience I have ever had with a touchpad. The tiny one on my Alienware m14x R2 is way better than the one in the XPS 13.

Not sure if this is Dell or Microsoft's fault, but Dell should make sure it gets fixed as they are the one who selected this touchpad.

3 Posts

April 28th, 2015 05:00

That's wrong. It's not just Chrome, other applications, like Eclipse also has this problem, I haven't tested any other applications but so far it seems like most applications is affected.

10 Posts

April 28th, 2015 05:00

This is down to Chrome not supporting Pointer Events, in favour of Touch Events which is an Apple-led initiative.

The good news is that Chrome is planning to implement Pointer Events which IE currently uses, but it may take a while to be implemented.

www.zdnet.com/.../google-will-implement-pointer-events-api-in-chrome-after-all

April 28th, 2015 07:00

I've also had issues with scrolling in text editors (Sublime Text). The issue is not unique to Chrome.

No Events found!