Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 16th, 2016 05:00

Dell XPS 13 9350 Deforming Keyboard (battery?)

Hi there,

I have a XPS 13 9350 and a strange thing started to happen this week. The keyboard is getting deformed (!!!) like something under it is getting bigger... It's like my notebook is ***!

My first thought is that the internal battery swelling or something... I bought the notebook in the US but I live in brazil and I found that I can't get my warranty over here (despite being told through a support chat that if I bought the Prosupport I would get 8x5 NBD in Brazil).

Fact is, it has less than a year of use, it was hugely expensive and I simply don't know what to do... does anyone know how to get in touch with their Brazilian support line? Every time I try to get support from the site it redirects me to US support. I would to at least get a quote on fixing it...

Thanks in advance!

9 Posts

July 31st, 2017 07:00

The problem was the battery. I couldn't get Dell to properly accept the transfer to Brazil, so no support for me. I had to buy a battery replacement on Amazon and install it locally.

22 Posts

October 18th, 2017 14:00

I called UK Customer Service 0800-587-1456  who initially tried to convince me that it was out of warranty but when I insisted that I wanted it fixed under the UK's Consumer Rights Act 2015 I was transferred to the "Out of Warranty" team.  After giving them my Service Tag and emphasising that the touch pad was raised they admitted that there was an issue with some batteries.  Result, new battery, palm rest, touchpad and keyboard.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 16th, 2016 05:00

You first need to transfer ownership to Brazil.  Transferring the warranty requires (1) that the model is sold in Brazil, (2) that you purchased (or purchase now) an upgrade to an onsite warranty.

www.dell.com/.../warranty-and-ownership-transfer

12 Posts

July 24th, 2017 00:00

Same here. Not only keyboard, but the whole surface has been deformed now.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 24th, 2017 04:00

Get the battery out of the system for safety reasons - and to prevent further damage.

www.dell.com/.../before-working-inside-your-computer

12 Posts

July 24th, 2017 05:00

@ejn63 thank you for your reply but what do you mean get the battery out? Can it  explode or something? What am I supposed to do after I remove it?

I'm not sure what has happened inside there, I just see that whole keyboard surface got deformed. How do you know that it's battery? I've actually thought that plastic might have bended because of overheat (the whole thing gets quite hot and maybe that material cannot accommodate).

1 Message

July 26th, 2017 18:00

Dear All: I have the same deforming keyboard issue. I brought it to Dells attention and the person I spoke with was unaware of the condition. I wanted to get the unit fixed but it's out of warranty and it will take 2 weeks for repairs. I love the machine but will buy new one then resolve issue with the sick one. Really *** this unit is not cheap.

12 Posts

July 27th, 2017 10:00

@Sigus please be so kind to post the results of the repair and if they even have any idea of what is causing the deformation.

12 Posts

August 2nd, 2017 00:00

@RMCholewa so was it actually the battery that was deformed? did the replacement solve deformation? did you buy original dell battery?

sorry for many questions, but it's actually interesting :)

22 Posts

August 16th, 2017 08:00

I would love to know the answer as well - did installing a new battery get rid of the warping of the keyboard?

12 Posts

September 6th, 2017 08:00

I'm on the long trip at the moment, so can't repair the laptop. Sometime ago I noticed that keys randomly stopped typing. So I tend to find more and more missing letters and spaces in the text that I write. Have to constantly recheck and make corrections. Tiresome. I blame it on the deformed keyboard. Which is obviously screwed now not only visually but functionally as well.

No Events found!