Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 14th, 2015 16:00

Dell XPS 13 (9350) Screen Flicker

Just received the XPS 13 (9350) last week and I've been having some intermittent black screen flickering that normally occurs in short bursts of 4-5 short black outs within a span of two or three seconds. Tech support updated all the drivers and such, but I'm still experiencing the issues. Has anyone had similar issues and possible solutions?

I looked at previous posts and the screen flickering is not where it actually distorts things on screen, it literally just looks like it flashes on and off. Any help is appreciated!

29 Posts

November 17th, 2015 08:00

Make sure you don't have hyper-v installed.

2 Posts

December 7th, 2015 22:00

Hello, 

I have that problem and when it starts happening randomly, whenever I click on the Wireless Icon in windows 10, it suddenly happens again. I turned of wireless adapter in settings and to my surprise, the problem stopped!!

3 Posts

December 25th, 2015 00:00

The 12/24 Dell wifi driver fixed the flickering for me.

2 Posts

August 20th, 2016 01:00

OK so I have a fix. This is caused by the WIRELESS driver for me.

To reproduce the issue: click the wireless button in the toolbar. The screen should flicker

1. I updated all my network wireless, bluetooth, and my display drivers to the latest

2. Opened the Dell Wireless 1820A driver properties in device manager.

3. Under the 'advanced' tab, set 802.11d support (auto country) to Disabled.

BAM. Problem solved.

3 Posts

November 21st, 2016 07:00

Don't ask me why, but reducing the power option on the wireless card to 50% fixed my screen flickering AND dropped Internet issues. Good Luck

1 Message

November 16th, 2015 08:00

I am having the same issue, and so are people in the post below:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/3so66k/dell_xps_9350_screen_flickering/?

Will contact Dell to get this serviced or replaced.

8 Posts

November 17th, 2015 04:00

Yes I have the same issue.  Seems to be quite common. As far as  I can tell, its a hardware issue. get your laptop replaced ASAP.  

In my case I need to go the route of part replacement, - it appears to the motherboard at fault.  The technician informed me they are out of stock of the motherboards, and will be till January.

• 

351 Posts

November 18th, 2015 06:00

Hi,

As you've all mostly done re-installs and driver updates  on the 9350 and it's still occurring can you tell me if the flicker occurs when you do these two things:

Clicking on the wireless icon

Or with any peripherals attached to the USB-C ports

1 Message

November 22nd, 2015 06:00

I have similar problem with black screen flickering and in addition some white line occur. I have also problem with speakers - crackling when music/video play, problem disappear when I plugin headphones. Wi-fi randomly not works, I have to reset pc to fix it.

For now I update display adapters drivers but it not fix the problem, and I also run full test diagnostic from dell official webpage - results was good, no problem detected. 

Any ideas how to fix it?

29 Posts

November 22nd, 2015 09:00

I've only used mine for a few days without issues other than the CPU power issue.   I had done a complete reformat with a standard Win 10 pro thumb drive downloaded from MS.   I did not install anything from Dell unless necessary - most things came from MS, Intel, NVidia etc.

8 Posts

November 22nd, 2015 10:00

Hi Magda.

Your problem sounds similar to mine (Also get  those white lines).   If you can, maybe try disabling your wifi adapter in the device manager temporarily to see if the flickering goes away. I found that   the flickering went away when i did that, but that of course meant the wifi adapter doesn't work.

My guess is that your laptop has the same hardware fault as mine, and its probably best to swap the laptop at the store you bought it from if you can. I am not able to do that for various reasons, so i'm working on getting the motherboard replaced.

1 Message

November 29th, 2015 11:00

I have identical problem - screen goes black for 0.5 to 1.5 seconds in bursts that last a few seconds to as many as 15 seconds.  Seems more likely during I/O.  Updated drivers via Dell's website - did not fix.  Updated graphics drivers from Intel site - did not fix.  I will return this brand new XPS 13 (9350) if Dell cannot fix this.  It seems every time I try online chat for dell, chat is closed.  I hope this is just a Thanksgiving holiday phenomena,

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Screen flickers (briefly turns black) randomly and intermittently for durations between 0.5 and 1.5 seconds per outage, often in bursts of a dozen outages in 10-60 seconds. Seems worse during I/O, e.g., when sending data out via wifi, e.g., to post data to the internet (like this report) - or moving the cursor.  Problem appeared during intial setup (prior to updates), and persists after all Windows Updates, Dell Updates, and Intel Graphics Driver Updates.

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?
If you can offer a % rate please do.

Uploading data seems to often (not always) trigger the flickering.  The upload phase of www (dot) speedtest (dot) net is a good test.  http://www.speedtest.net

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

New Dell XPS 13 model 9350 with HD 520 graphics and QHD+ touch screen, 8GB RAM and 256 GB SSD

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Only native Intel i7-6500 HD 520 graphics

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
LFP 
= Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP - 3200 x 1800 touch screen

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

8 GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

none

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1916&SUBSYS_07041028&REV_07

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1916&SUBSYS_07041028

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1916&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1916&CC_0300

Software (SW)

Operating System version (see note2 below).

64 bit Windows 10 Home10.0.10586

Version 10.0.10586 Build 10586

VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.

unknown.  Current version of Intel HD Grpahics Control Panel does not display "Processor Graphics Information," contrary to Graphics Drivers — Video BIOS FAQ

See image

HD Graphics Control Panel System Info from KeithRM 2015-Nov-25.PNG

Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).

20.19.15.4312. I will try to upload SSU, DxDiag and DispDiag files separately.  I cannot find an "attach" button as mentioned in note2.

SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.

Chrome, MS Edge, or just letting the OS flicker.

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

Single display

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

3200x1800

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

AC (power cable plugged in)

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucialto finding the root cause and fix.
A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

1. Boot machine
  2. Watch it flicker (briefly turn black intermittently and randomly)
  3. Open a browser, watch it flicker more
  4. Reliably - Cause heavy flicker during the upload phase of testing internet speed using www (dot) speedtest (dot) net - or other I/O - as little as typing this form.

2 Posts

December 1st, 2015 10:00

I noticed this issue the first day I got my 9350.  It flickered intermittently when I was applying the new computer updates, but I assumed it was just due to the update process.  It has come and gone since then but now I notice it a couple times per hour, especially when I am working in a Citrix session.  When I scroll quickly it flickers badly nearly every single time.  If I scroll up and down as fast as I can the screen will eventually go completely black for a full second or so before coming back. 

I have also updated the display drivers from Dell (didn't work) and from within Windows (also didn't work).  

I have the i5, 8GB, 1080p model. 

10 Posts

December 5th, 2015 14:00

Took delivery on 4th November - XPS 13 9350.

Went through usual install and setup to my satisfaction.

2 weeks later no boot and tech support said a new motherboard was required.

None in stock.

Told to apply for a return and refund.

Did this - and 2 weeks later it was collected 3rd Nov.

Mid Nov ordered a new exact machine.

Arrived today 5th Nov at 14:30.

Started immediate setup and encountered intermittent mousse and touchsreen failures.

Thirty mins after power on - called tech support.

After 90 mins on phone - we got to the point of a complete re-install.

I attempted this 23 times and gave up at 21:00 that night.

So Monday - another call tis due to tech support.

So far £3,000 on two computers - only one that I have now - and is as good as a doorstop.

Laters

Martin

6 Posts

December 9th, 2015 01:00

Flickering seems to occur on my Inspiron 7353 whenever the CPU temperature goes above 75C.  (which happens when running the speedtest site, among other things)

i7 6500U

No Events found!